We’re back with another installment of MPMK’s 2013 Christmas Gift Guides today. Building and construction toys, blocks in particular, are my absolute favorites for both my son AND my daughter. They are the ultimate open-ended creativity toy and I love that my children play with them for huge chunks of time, all while developing math, problem-solving, and spatial thinking skills.
Don’t forget – you can check out all 10 of our 2013 Gift Guides here!
Once again this year, I’m heading up each list with my favorites from all the picks – here, in no particular order, are my top 7 Building and Construction Toys (scroll down for full details on each):
- LEGO Duplo My First Set $24.14 (18 mos – 5 years)
- Magna-Tiles $120 (2 – 12 years)
- Melissa & Doug 60 Piece Standard Unit Blocks $50.99 (2 – 15 years)
- Battat Take-Apart Vehicle Series starting at $17.95 (3+ years)
- LEGO Creator 3-in-1 Kits starting at $11.24, (age varies by kit, most start around age 5)
- Green Toys Tool Set $19.59 (2+ years)
- Designed by You Doll House with Furniture $82.09 (3+ years)
Read on for 30 of my favorite building and construction toys, broken down into:
- Best Blocks for Open-Ended Play
- Take Apart & Build Again Toys
- LEGO Sets for Every Age
- Dramatic Play Construction Toys
Special Note: In an effort to help you out as much as possible this year, I’ve included both prices and age recommendations for each item. Please take the age ranges as just that – recommendations – you know you’re child best after all!
Also, this time of year prices can fluctuate quite dramatically. So if you see something a little outside of your price range, it might not be a bad idea to click over and check it out anyway – you may get lucky and catch a sale.
Along those lines, I’m doing my best this year to keep our readers up-to-date on any sales I see on our gift guide items. To be in the loop, be sure to follow us on facebook and subscribe to our newsletter.
Ready for the big list? Here we go… Read More