Homemade gummies made from fruits and veggies - a healthy snack kids love!

A Rainbow of Healthy Homemade Gummy Snacks

Most of us busy parents are on the look out for new ways to squeeze extra nutrition into our growing kids. Around here, we love using our juicer and enjoying fresh fruit and veggie juice, but it’s not really something you can grab-and-go (well you can.. but not without cleaning out a clogged-up juicer later on in the day).

Fruit and veggie gummies are our latest solution for getting good nutrition in small, portable doses.

Not only are the fruits and veggies filled with vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients, these gummies have the power of gelatin as well! Gelatin is a source of dietary collagen and protein- it’s anti-inflammatory, known to improve digestion, promote healthy skin/hair/nails and more.

Homemade gummies made from fruits and veggies - a healthy snack kids love!

These gummies can be treated as vitamins, snacks, treats, dessert- whatever works for you and your kids. Test out different juice combinations and see what you like best.

You can be confident that your kids are being well-nourished when they reach for these!

Fruit and Vegetable Juice Gummy Snacks (Master Recipe)

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups fruit and/or vegetable juice, fresh pressed or store-bought (see below for juice combinations)
  • 4 tablespoons plain gelatin (I prefer this grass-fed brand, but you can find plain gelatin near the Jello in your local grocery store. Four tablespoons usually comes out to 4-6 gelatin packets, but I would empty the packets into a bowl and use a measure spoon to be most accurate.)
  • 2-4 tablespoons raw honey, depending on your preference and how sweet your juice is. I would do a bit more honey if your juice is heavy on the veggies.
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or other extract of choice, optional
  • up to 1 tablespoon extra health-building ingredients like Vitamin C powder, Magnesium powder, powdered probiotics, green powder, protein powder, etc.

Directions

1. Pour juice into a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top and let sit for a few minutes until it starts to “bloom” (it will get wrinkly looking on the surface and all of the white powder from the gelatin will absorb into the liquid). When all the gelatin is absorbed, whisk to combine.
  2. Place the saucepan over medium heat on the stove. Let the liquid warm through, but never boil. You are looking for the liquid to go from thick and batter-like to thin and runny. You want all of the gelatin to dissolve (you can test this by dipping your finger in the liquid and rubbing it against your thumb- if it’s smooth, you’re ready, if it’s grainy, keep it on the heat).
  3. Next, whisk in your honey, extract and any extra ingredients, if using. (*Note- if you are using powdered probiotic, wait until the juice has cooled to room temperature before adding to avoid killing any of the good bacteria.)
  4. Pour into candy molds or a loaf pan and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set.
  5. Remove from molds. If you used the loaf pan, cut your gelatin into small squares.
  6. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.

Juice Combinations (used for the gummies pictured)

• Red/Pink: Red beets, strawberries, carrots and a bit of lemon juice
  • Orange: Carrots, oranges, ginger and some mango juice
  • Yellow: Yellow bell pepper, yellow beets, yellow pear, yellow apple and a bit of lemon juice (DO NOT use pineapple juice, your gelatin will not set up due to the enzyme bromelain that’s found in pineapples.)
  • Green: Kale, kiwi, cucumber, green apple and lime (green grapes would work well, too)
  • Purple: Purple cabbage, blackberries, blueberries, a bit of red beet and an apple (concord grapes would work well, too)

If you want to lighten up the color of the gummies, you can also substitute some milk (dairy or non-dairy, I would use probably reach for coconut milk) for some of the juice in the recipe.

And if you’re looking for more gummy recipes, check out these Orange Cream Vitamin C gummies and Cold and Flu Busting gummies!

Need Lunch Ideas too?

More Easy & Healthy Snack Ideas:

The following two tabs change content below.
Natalie is lover of all things edible and mom to two sweet babies under 3 years old. She shares her favorite from-scratch recipes, techniques and tips for entertaining on her blog, Oven Love.

Latest posts by Natalie (see all)

Amy Jones April 17, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Do you have any quantity advice on these combinations? Meaning how much kiwi juice versus kale juice to put in for example.

Natalie May 1, 2014 at 11:36 am

It’s really up to you, I usually just eyeball it. I probably did one bunch of kale, 2 kiwis, one green apple, one small cucumber and 1/2 a lime.

Lindsey Wallace April 18, 2014 at 6:01 am

This is such a great idea! Definitely want to try this..

Rebecca April 22, 2014 at 8:11 am

Do you have to use honey or is there a substitute for honey? I thought you weren’t supposed to introduce honey to children under 2 yrs. I could definitely be wrong as I’m a first time momma. THANKS!

Sarahbout April 30, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I love these! How do you store them? About how long do they last? Thank you for sharing! <3

Melissa May 1, 2014 at 10:51 am

Not even cooked honey for under 2/3 year olds. I was surprised by this, but I guess the botulism in honey can survive being cooked, even in baked breads!

Natalie May 1, 2014 at 11:38 am

You can just omit the honey and use a higher fruit to veggie juice ratio if you want them sweeter. You could also use maple syrup if you don’t mind the stronger flavor.

cparkerlpn May 1, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Honey is safe for children over 1 year of age. As a beekeeper, I had to research this for a client, and every source that I have found says safe over one year. Including the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Marla May 2, 2014 at 10:58 am

How about Agave Syrup?

Autumn July 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Rebecca, the age is 12 months or 1 year. After that you can give or introduce honey. Here is a link to read: http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/botulism.html

Beki April 26, 2014 at 11:29 am

Rebecca- partially correct no raw honey but you can have cooked honey. I would ask my nurse just to be sure. But you probably could sweeten with agave nectar or any other form of sweetener and it would be fine or no sweetener at all…

Jillian April 30, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Question about the finished product: is the texture more like a jello where it falls apart easily or it is more like an actual gummy texture like typical fruit snacks like Annies?

Natalie May 1, 2014 at 11:38 am

It’s more like fruit snacks- the more gelatin you add, the “gummier” they will be. So if you want them to be firmer, just add more gelatin!

Stacy May 1, 2014 at 6:11 pm

So if we want them to be more like jello, do you think the opposite would be successful-adding less gelatin?

Audrey May 1, 2014 at 10:49 am

My family is vegetarian and we don’t eat gelatin-any suggestions for substitutions? Thanks!

Natalie May 1, 2014 at 11:40 am

There are some brands of gelatin that are kosher and also vegan. I think you can also substitute agar agar powder, but I haven’t tried it myself. You’d have to do some experimenting.

Shannan August 15, 2014 at 8:20 am

Would fruit pectin work? I’ve never tried it but I’ve seen it in the canning aisles.

Susan May 1, 2014 at 10:51 am

Great idea. Wondering if the gelatin can be dissolved in a small portion of the liquid over medium heat, cool a bit and then add the rest of the liquid to keep the nutrients high? That way only a portion goes through the medium heat process – just wondering if it changes the nutritional value much when heating .

This is fantastic, though.

Susan May 1, 2014 at 10:53 am

p.s. thank you for sharing – someone posted on Facebook, and I’m looking forward to seeing other things on your site – I had just a glance at some links from this post and will be checking out some other ideas. Thanks, again!!

Natalie May 1, 2014 at 11:43 am

I’m not sure what temperature the nutritional value changes, but you have to add a portion of hot juice for the gelatin to dissolve correctly. You can experiment with different ratios, the best way to tell if the gelatin is fully dissolved is to rub some of the liquid between your fingers- if it feels grainy, the gelatin is not dissolved. It should feel smooth between your fingers.

Lizzie May 1, 2014 at 5:03 pm

We don’t have a juicer and I hate to use store bought juice because I don’t want to lose nutrients. Do you think we could use really well blended purée or would that be too thick?

Natalie May 2, 2014 at 4:48 am

I would try using fruits that you can juice by hand like citrus. You can do a puree, but I would recommend pushing it through a very fine mesh strainer before using for the recipe. It will have a bit of a different texture than juice made with a juicer, but it should still gel up!

devin May 1, 2014 at 5:25 pm

You could also use Agave nectar instead of honey.

Ann May 1, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I don’t have a juicer but have a vitamix… Would the blended liquid work as well as juice?

Natalie May 2, 2014 at 4:48 am

It will have a different consistency, but it should still gel up. You can try pushing it through a fine mesh strainer before using for the recipe.

Stacy May 1, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I don’t have a juicer, but do you think I could use a blender to get the fruit juice? I’d rather not buy juice. I’d think it’d just mess with the texture maybe? Do you have any experience with this?

Natalie May 2, 2014 at 4:49 am

You can blend and then push through a fine mesh strainer before using for the recipe. You won’t get nearly as much juice and the texture will be a bit different, but it should still gel up.

Allison May 1, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I may just be missing something – how do you get juice out of kale and some of these other things? I get lemon and other fruits, but kale? Peppers? Do I need a juicer, because I sure don’t have one of those…

Natalie May 2, 2014 at 4:50 am

You will need a juicer for most of the vegetables, or you could try as some of the other commenters above have mentioned- blending the fruit and then pushing it through a fine mesh strainer. You won’t get as much juice and the texture will be a bit different, but it should still gel up.

Stacy May 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm

(Not sure if you saw this above earlier. :) )

Nicole Alho May 4, 2014 at 1:49 am

Hi, I love the idea really want to try it, but in portugal I cant find white powder jelly only white jelly sheets. Do you think it will work?

alexandra May 13, 2014 at 8:44 pm

penso que com as folhas de gelatina tambem da

Alyssa May 6, 2014 at 2:41 am

Good idea! A friend shared your link to me.
I tried it with just Kiwi and with it’s seeds. 4 blended kiwis yielded almost 1&1/2 cup. But the texture I got is more jelly-like & sticky rather than gummies. Not sure if it’s because I blended the whole kiwi instead of extracting just the juice… Btw I used Bake King’s gelatine. Will definitely try again and see if I can achieve a better consistency.

Lies May 10, 2014 at 11:48 am

Can’t wait to make green dinosaurs for my kids ☺

vidya amin May 16, 2014 at 11:36 pm

can we use spinach? if yes what combination will work? and how I can take juice? can I blanch and grind leaves and use same?
thanks in advance.

Nathalie May 17, 2014 at 12:50 am

Hi. Because there are different measures around, can you please confirm whether your tablespoon is 15mL or 20mL?
This will be fun to try!

Trisha May 17, 2014 at 7:28 am

Do you put all the vitamins you mentioned (magnesium, Vitamin C, and powdered probiotics in he same batch? Or do you make separate batches for each vitamin?

Amber May 17, 2014 at 3:16 pm

How long an u store these for?
Do they freeze well?

RKBC May 21, 2014 at 8:16 am

These sound great! But I would be very careful using raw juice to make something like this, especially for children. Raw juices are unpasteurized, which is not necessarily a bad thing if they are pressed on very clean machines, kept cold, and consumed quickly, but if allowed to sit at room temp (or even worse, heated to be warm yet not hot enough to kill bacteria) you are potentially creating a breeding ground for bacteria. Just be sure to keep them refrigerated!

Liz May 27, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Any ideas on what you could toss this in after they are set to keep them from sticking together in the storage container? Don’t want to ruin the healthiness by using a powder sugar, but looking for something along those lines.

Kerry May 29, 2014 at 10:19 pm

HI,
What age would you recommend these for? Two years old and up? Just curious…

Thanks,
Kerry

Kristen May 30, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I tried the green version, but it hasn’t set properly… after some searching, I’ve read a few pages that say kiwi doesn’t work with gelatin (similar to fresh pineapple, which I knew about). I don’t have a juicer, so blended everything then strained out the juice. Have you had any issues with kiwi in the mix?

Punya June 21, 2014 at 3:10 am

Really loved the recipe. I tried it.Can you suggest a few more combinations ?

Amelie July 9, 2014 at 11:54 am

Great recipe !! I am wondering if the gummies would still set if i didn’t add any honey ??

Toshia July 11, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Gelatin is gross…. that’s the only thing! Sooooooo how is it you feed this to your kids?

Keira August 25, 2014 at 7:58 am

I don’t have a juicer so I’m wondering if I could just purée the fruit up really well and just use that instead of straining it out? Would that not work? I know it would create a grittier gummy but I just want to find an easier way to do it without a juicer. :)

Jenny August 28, 2014 at 1:17 pm

This looks fantastic. I might try these this weekend but I might try 1/2 cup water to one cup fresh juice. I am going to try boiling the gelatine with water and once cooled to room temperature then adding the juice that way it retains all the live enzymes and all the vitamins :)

Alexandra J. August 31, 2014 at 4:29 pm

These are great, I’m going to have to make these for my 2 year old. Do you have any suggestions for meals for picky eaters? Since we moved, my daughter has stopped eating a lot of foods she used to and I have not changed anything in the recipes, so it’s not that the ingredients are different. I’m not quite sure what happened, we have been in our new home for a little over 2 months now.

Autumn September 9, 2014 at 9:20 am

I tried these out for my son last night and he loved them. I did a spinch apple combo with about 1/2 a cup of spinach juice to 1 cup of apple. I also had some caramel extract on hand so I used that instead of the vanilla which gave it a faint caramel apple taste. I’ve tried other “healthy” gummy recipes before, but these were the first that had a good consistency and little one actually enjoyed eating.