DIY Mug "You Can Call Me Queen Bee" - love this for Mother's Day!

Mother’s Day DIY Mug (You can call me Queen Bee)

Mother’s Day is the perfect time to try a DIY project and I guarantee you’re going to adore this one. I want to make one for every mom I know! Here’s Alli with the details…

I am loving the “make your own mug” trend for two reasons:

1. There’s nothing better than a handmade gift.

2. It’s so amazingly EASY!

I mean, really. The possibilities are endless. I picked up one mug at the dollar store for this project, and I found myself wishing I’d grabbed a dozen.

I decided to go with a line from the Lorde song, “Royals.” You can call me queen bee…

To make, all you need is a mug and a Sharpee (or two). I went with black, and decided to add a little yellow to bring the bee to life.

Mother's Day DIY "Queen Bee" Mug

First spend some time sketching out your message/drawing. I just doodled a few times to figure out spacing, and also how I wanted to draw my bee.

Mother's Day DIY "Queen Bee" Mug

Then it’s time to draw on the mug itself. Once once you’re happy with your design, bake it upside down in the oven (300 degrees for 30 minutes).

Mother's Day DIY "Queen Bee" Mug

This would make the perfect Mother’s Day gift as is. But if you have little kids, they could even scribble their own message or drawing. As a Mom of two little ones, a gift like that might actually melt my heart.

I am LOVING my new mug (especially because I live in a house full of boys).

And I now officially have the song “Royals” stuck in my head. Every. Single. Morning.

DIY "Queen Bee" Mug - love this for Mother's Day!

(Let us know if you make one! We’d love to see it.)

Get your shopping done early with our Infamous Christmas Toy Gift Guides!

The following two tabs change content below.
Alli is wife to Michael, mommy to Isaiah and friend to their furry one, Hershey girl. Her passion lies in being a Mom and finding ways to bring creativity to life with her family. You can visit her blog (You have your blog, we have Aars) for ideas, activities, inspiration and more.

margo April 21, 2014 at 7:54 am

Did you use the oil based sharpie? I received one of these mugs for Christmas and have only hand waged it and the writing is coming off. My friend said she only used the regular sharpie not the oil based kind

Alli April 21, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Hi Margo! I just used regular Sharpie. Mine hasn’t come off yet, and I’ve even put it through the dishwasher. Maybe it has to do with how long you bake it? I baked this one for a full 30 minutes (probably about 45 minutes, actually, because I forgot it was in there.) :) Hope that helps!

Amy @ItsAMindfulLife April 22, 2014 at 8:16 am

Hi Alli!
This is a really cute idea! I am happy to pin it! Also sharing some FB and Pinterest love! Fun finding this site! It is lovely and I will definitely be back!

Alli April 24, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Thanks, Amy! So glad you like it!

Linda April 23, 2014 at 12:06 am

Did you seal it with anyhing before or after baking it? Also I bought dollar store mugs too but they dont state they are oven safe…how do you know they wont shatter?

Alli April 24, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Linda, I didn’t seal mine. And my mugs definitely say oven, microwave, and dishwasher safe. I am pretty sure as long as your mug is ceramic, it is oven safe. Hope that helps!

karen April 23, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I tried this and my artwork came right off after two hand washings. :( perhaps the type of mug matters? Is yours porcelain?

Alli April 24, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Boo! Mine is still going strong! My mug is ceramic, and like I said above…it definitely says oven, microwave, and dishwasher safe. Does yours? I have had several people say that using an oil-based Sharpie works as well. Maybe trying that on your particular mug will work better? It’s worth a try! So sorry you are having trouble!

mel May 1, 2014 at 11:18 am

I do handpainted glassware that I sell at some shops and at craft shows. The issue with the markers (oil based or not) may be the type of glaze on the mug when you buy it. However, you can buy a glass paint marker at a craft store (such as michaels,) which would be found in the same section as the glass enamel paints or the stained glass paints, for just a few bucks more than a sharpee, and they involve similar baking instructions and they stay on and are dishwasher safe.

Alli May 5, 2014 at 7:39 pm

GREAT info, Mel. Thank you so so much! Will have to try the glass paint markers, too. Now I am curious. ;)

Vidisha May 1, 2014 at 11:49 am

I tried the process with ceramic n the sharpie n it came right off ! Pl help

Alli May 5, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Hi Vidisha! So sorry it’s not working for you. I think we’ve decided it depends on the glaze of the mug. Mel had some great advice in the comment above. Try using either Oil-based Sharpie if regular Sharpie didn’t work, or you can also try glass paint markers. Hope that helps!

Linda Johnston May 3, 2014 at 9:56 am

I had the same problem with the paint coming off. I started using oil base paint pens. Worked like a charm! I made my daughter a whole set of dishes and glasses, all from the dollar store. Baked 15 minutes at 350, turn the oven off and let them cool in the oven. I left mine in a long time. About two hours should do it. WARNING – RED paint pens turn hot pink after baking. Don’t know why. Hope this helps!

Alli May 5, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Love it! Thanks for sharing, Linda! So glad it worked. :)

Brittany May 4, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I would like to order two if I can. How do I go about that and how much?

Thanks
B.

Steph (MPMK Founder) May 5, 2014 at 10:57 am

Hi there,

This is a DIY project – just follow the step to make the mugs yourself!

Kaimana May 5, 2014 at 8:59 pm

This looks great. I wonder…would it work on wine glasses too?

Alli May 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I’m not sure! Someone mentioned glass pain markers above. Worth a shot, I say!

Inés May 7, 2014 at 2:04 am

Thank you for the great idea. I live in Australia and your audience is international. It might be helpful to say if the 300 degrees are Farenheit or Centigrades. Our ovens go to 250C centigrades so I am hoping that the equivalent, 150C, is what it requires.

Happy Mother’s day

Cynthia June 1, 2014 at 1:17 am

150 C would be the correct conversion, but I’ve noticed that craft products sold in Commonwealth countries can have slightly different ingredients and may make for a different baking time. Just something to check on, though I’m not sure how much of an impact that will make in the curing process.

Ines Pintos-Lopez July 3, 2014 at 1:20 am

As it turns out, the sharpie’s ink washed out!

I tried it at higher temperature and they washed out too.

I bought the sharpie which is specially offered for ceramics ( which is more expensive of course) and so so far it has stayed one.

Katherine May 7, 2014 at 11:12 am

Where did you get your mug from? I bought some from dollar tree and I’m on my third try of trying to get the marker to stay. Any ideas for me? I’m wanting to let my son do these for his grandmothers and step-mom for Mother’s Day. Thanks!

Alli May 7, 2014 at 1:30 pm

So sorry it’s not working for you, too! I got mine at our local doar store (not a chain). Someone mentioned glass paint markers (sold at any craft store). That might be your best bet! Hope that helps!

Elisabeth July 2, 2014 at 4:54 am

Great idea for personalised mugs! I’m a big fan of photo mugs, but this is a lovely idea, too!