Our roasted chickpeas snack post (or roasted garbonzo beans, if you prefer) from last year was so popular that we thought you guys might appreciated even more ideas for how to incorporate chickpeas into your day – especially with recent studies showing that consuming fiber-packed chickpeas leads to consuming less processed snacks during your day. Here’s Natalie with 10 new chickpea recipes!
I’m a poor planner when it comes to lunch time. I tend to assume that when I open the fridge, a suitable lunch will magically appear. When we’re out of our usual leftovers, I try to head to our pantry for inspiration (instead of giving in and heading to Chik-fil-A). I usually keep a few extra cans of beans around for just this sort of dilemma.
Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) offer a variety of options for quick lunching. I’ve come up with ten ideas for you here, but there are endless combinations for lunches with chickpeas as your base.
10 Easy Chickpea Lunches
- Your favorite soup topped with roasted chickpeas. Remember these roasted chickpeas? They give the perfect crunch to your smooth winter soup. I love the smoky roasted chickpeas with this soup especially. Serve with some crusty bread. If you haven’t roasted the chickpeas ahead of time, you could certainly add some regular chickpeas to any soup for extra fiber and protein too. (Shown in the background of the photo above.)
- Pesto pasta with chickpeas and parmesan. Choose a quick cooking pasta like angel hair or orzo. Toss with store-bought or homemade pesto and chickpeas, and then top with parmesan cheese. You could serve this warm or cold, it would be delicious both ways!
- A quick stovetop saute. Saute a sliced onion over medium heat. Add chickpeas, greens, herbs or any other vegetables you’d like and cook until warmed through. Top with a fried egg and avocado slices.
- Greek Chickpea Salad. Combine drained chickpeas with chopped tomatoes, feta and cucumber. Drizzle with olive oil, a squeeze of lemon and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve in lettuce wraps or pita halves. (Shown directly above.)
- Chickpea Frittata. Saute some chopped onion and bell pepper, add chickpeas and greens. Whisk up some eggs with a bit of milk, pour into the pan and add some cheese if you like. It’s the lazy lady’s omelette. Serve with a side salad.
- Chickpea Patties (Falafel). There are lots of great falafel recipes out there, but the quickest way to make them would be to saute them on the stovetop. You could also bake a big batch in the oven to have them on hand for future lunches. Serve inside a pita with veggies.
- Chickpea Cowboy Caviar. Cowboy Caviar is a dip typically made with blackeyed peas, but it’s delicious with chickpeas, too! Combine a drained can of chickpeas with 1/2 red onion, diced; 1/2 green pepper, diced and 2 cloves of garlic, minced. Top with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, add salt and pepper and mix. Serve with chips for dipping. (Shown directly above).
- Chickpea Salad Wrap. Choose one of the chickpea mixtures above, try this recipe or create your own, and then wrap it up in a tortilla for lunch on the go. Serve with some fruit and veggies on the side.
- Quick Hummus. Hummus is quick and easy to make at home. In a food processor, combine chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic until smooth (note; it won’t get super-smooth like store-bought hummus unless you take the time to remove the skins).
- Green Salad with Roasted Chickpeas. Another way to use those roasted chickpeas is in place of croutons on your salad. Adds protein and saves you some carbs!
- Bonus: Chickpea Pancake. This jumbo chickpea pancake is made with chickpea flour, not fresh chickpeas, but I still wanted to include it because I love the idea! Doesn’t take long to throw together and you can customize it with any filling you like.
P.S. Looking for more ways to simplify and connect with your family?
Latest posts by Natalie (see all)
- A Rainbow of Healthy Homemade Gummy Snacks - April 15, 2014
- Colorful Smoothies and Juices to Kick the Winter Blues - March 18, 2014
- 10 Easy Lunches Made with Chickpeas - February 10, 2014