A little while back, I was contact by the fine folks at Scotch® Color & Pattern Duct Tape and asked to take part in a Halloween challenge of sorts. Basically, they provided the supplies and I got to get creative.
I have to say, I’m pretty pleased with the end result. You should try it – it’s definitely a conversation starter and is sure to impress the kiddos as well as your friends. It’s also a great way to teach the kids about upcyclying and only requires a few supplies.
- a well-worn doormat (preferably the one you were getting ready to pitch)
- a few rolls of Scotch® Color & Pattern Duct Tape in Halloween colors
- a cutting mat
- a straight edge
Once you have your supplies, go online and find an appropriate Halloween image. Silhouettes work best – try using the “clip art” filter in google images to find one that will work.
Next, use photo editing software such as picmonkey or photoshop to make the image the same size as your doormat.
Finally, print your image onto several pages and lay it out on your doormat to be sure it will work. Then cut out the silhouette on each page, or “quadrant”.
Now it’s time to get to taping! Be sure your doormat is clean, pick a background tape color, and start layering strips onto the top of the mat.
Tuck the tops and bottom of each strip under so that your mat looks like this.
Next, layer several strips of black Scotch® Color & Pattern Duct Tape onto your cutting mat and tape the first image quadrant on top.
Use the straight edge to cut all around the silhouette and remove the excess tape.
Repeat this process with each quadrant
Then line up the black silhouette pieces on top of your doormat. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect, the tape is very forgiving. If you don’t get it lined up perfectly, you can just add another piece of black tape on top.
The last step is to cut out a spooky message and apply it to the top of your silhouette.
I added a few black stripes on each side for visual balance and used glow-in-the dark tape for the wicked smile and the, “Boo!”. It’s quite the creepy look in the dark – perfect for Halloween.
This post is a collaboration with Scotch® Color & Pattern Duct Tape, all opinions are 100% my own.
P.S. Looking for more ways to simplify and save time so you can connect with your family? Follow these 3 steps:
1) Check out our "Back-to-School Super Saver Bundle": over 50 pages of 2015 daily/weekly/monthly planners, cleaning schedules, meal planners, kids’ routine charts, budgeting sheets and much more PLUS 84 pages of low-stress holiday activities perfect for making memories with the kids!
2) Sign up for our newsletter:
3) Bookmark our famous Gift Guides for the next time you need the perfect kids' gift! (350+ detailed descriptions including age recommendations)