Where has summer gone? I know it only officially started a few days ago but I’m already feeling like it’s half over. Admittedly, this is probably because the second half of our summer is jam-packed with travel and moving plans. So the leisurely, “lets just chill and not plan anything more than a 30 minute swim lesson every day”, part of summer feels like it’s rapidly disappearing.
Never-the-less, we still have a few quintessential summer milestone to go. Not the least of which is the 4th of July. We already covered great kid reads for the 4th with Janssen, so now Natalie is here sharing a tasty new patriotic breakfast.
I am even more excited than usual to share my recipe with you guys today! As I thought about what to cook up for this post, I knew Fourth of July was coming up and that got my mind set on the ol’ red, white and blue.
But I wanted to bring you something fresh to help you celebrate – maybe something you hadn’t seen before. Nothing against the patriotic fruit pizza and the berry parfait, but sometimes you just want something new.
These little breakfast stacks are made by layering mini pancakes, whipped cream and fresh fruit. You can assemble them ahead of time if you are expecting guests (though the banana might get a bit brown, see below for a substitution idea) or make them that morning using your favorite pancake recipe. A single stack is the perfect portion size for young kids, but I’d be tempted to add a side of crispy bacon to the plate to round out the meal. (You know… for protein.)
If you want to make this into a dessert, you can substitute sugar cookies for the pancakes, let them chill in the fridge for a bit and then and take them along to your afternoon barbecue or get-together. Aren’t these just the perfect little bites?
I know you’re gonna love these. Happy birthday, America!
Red, White and Blueberry Pancake Stacks
- 18 mini pancakes (Made using about a tablespoon per pancake of your favorite pancake batter)
- 1 cup freshly whipped cream, whipped topping or coconut whip (dairy-free option, instructions here)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 banana, sliced
- 6 whole strawberries
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Layer 1: pancake, whipped cream, blueberries. (Helpful tip: Add just a bit of whipped cream underneath each pancake to help it stick to the fruit below it and keep the stack from falling over.)
- Layer 2: pancake, whipped cream, bananas.
- Layer 3: pancake, whipped cream, strawberry.
- Dust with powdered sugar and add a wooden pick to stabilize, if necessary. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for a few hours. (They will last longer than a few hours in the fridge, but the banana will turn brown after a little while and won’t look as pretty. If you are making them ahead you could substitute another “white” fruit like white peaches which might not brown as fast.)
P.S. Looking for more ways to simplify and connect with your family?
Get your shopping done early with our Infamous Christmas Toy Gift Guides!
Latest posts by Natalie (see all)
- Make Ahead Thanksgiving Dessert: Pumpkin Brownie Ice Cream Cake - November 12, 2014
- Coconut Macaroon Baked Apples - October 27, 2014
- Make Fruit Fun (and Spooky) with One Quick Trick - September 21, 2014