If you’re a regular here, then I’m sure you’ve noticed the happiness revolution that has been slowly taking over MPMK. From our new Happy Family Habits series to our recent virtual book club selection, the science of happiness is quite ubiquitous around here. I’m not sure exactly where or when it became so prevalent, but I do know why.
A few months ago, the day after announcing MPMK’s new Continuing Ed feature, I was contacted by a representative of Dr. Christine Carter of UC Berkley’s Greater Good Center. She thought I might be interested in their Raising Happiness program… she was right. Several email exchanges later, I was all signed up to participate.
(Spoiler alert: I’m gonna get into details, and gush a bit, about this program below. If you just want to get to the goods, go here to sign up for the full 32 week course and use the code: Messy10 for 10% off OR start small: pick one of the courses that looks most interesting to you and use the code: MPMK10 for 10% off.)
I actually have to apologize for not sharing this course with you guys earlier – confession: I thought I had! I’ve definitely mentioned it as being the inspiration behind our Happy Family Habits series (I’m getting most of my ideas for the habits from this course). But it wasn’t until I was gushing about it to one of my friends over coffee recently that I realized I hadn’t properly shared it with all of you. Mea culpa.
The goal of the program is exactly as it sounds, to teach you how to raise happier kids (and also to be happier yourself). When you think about it, isn’t that the ultimate goal in every decision we make as parents?
What I really love about Raising Happiness is that it’s rooted in science. Dr. Carter has devoted herself to studying everything published on the topic and condensed it all into easily digestible segments of information for all of us to consume when it’s most convenient.
So, essentially, instead of reading ALL those books out there on parenting and happiness, you can just set aside 15 – 20 minutes once a week and get the cliff notes version straight from the expert. How great is that?!
The entire program spans 32 weeks (8 sperate modules) and you can actually earn continuing ed credits for participating (the real kind, not the MPMK kind). If that’s a bit overwhelming – you can also opt to enroll in a single module as well; “Finding Happiness as a Parent“, “Boosting Emotional Intelligence and Self-Motivation [in your kids]“, etc.
They call the comprehensive course “the big kahuna” because it comes with A LOT of good stuff. Each week you get the 15-20 minute video (or, if you prefer, the downloadable audio) introducing the topic you’ll be covering along with additional suggested reading materials.
You also get an assignment for the week. Don’t worry – they are very straightforward and surprisingly simple to institute. And Dr. Carter will send out periodic emails to keep you on track and offer up even more nuggets of wisdom. Finally, there are discussions going on in the comments of each week’s post and on a private facebook group. And, at the end of the month, you can even jump on a live call with Dr. Carter to answer any questions you might have.
Since I was first granted access to the program, my husband and I have made a sort of date night out of watching the short videos together (with a nice glass of Pinot Noir in hand). What I love is that you really can take it at your own pace. Initially our goal was to do it every Wednesday night… but then work got crazy, and I got sick, and now we’re thinking about listing the house. But no worries, because once you buy the course, you own it – forever. So the next assignment has always been there patiently waiting for us.
The other thing I love is the core beliefs behind these assignments: mindfulness, gratitude, emotional coaching, positive parenting – everything I really believe in is incorporated.
I’m especially excited about the latest module that just became available for May (although you can start anytime): “Happiness on AutoPilot: 5 Huge Impact Happiness Habits to Start Now” plus the bonus week, “How to Raise Kind & Compassionate Children” – it goes along so well with the anti-bullying stuff we’ve been discussing lately. Plus, I’m really fascinated by the stuff on the neuroscience of happy memories.
All the details are below, and don’t forget you can use the code: MPMK10 to get 10% off this course or use the code: Messy10 to get 10% off the entire “big kahuna” course.
Happiness on Autopilot
5 Huge Impact Happiness Habits to Start Now (Raising Happiness Homestudy Theme Three)
Register now to get immediate access
4 weeks of online classes + BONUS week
This class will give you five high-impact habits that will make you – and your kids! – happier now. You’ll learn how to:
- Raise grateful children. Research has shown that a conscious gratitude practice tends to increase our happiness by 25%. We’ll discuss tips for consciously practicing authentic gratitude and for dealing with gratitude resistors in your home.
- Turn dinnertime into a powerful, symbolic ritual for your kids. If you aren’t currently eating together as a family, Dr. Carter will share the reasons why you might want to make it more of a priority. If you are, we’ll discuss ways to upgrade your experience so that your kids are getting the most out of this special time.
- Overwrite negative experiences. We don’t necessarily need difficult situations to end quickly — the goal is to make them end better. Dr. Carter teaches a powerful technique creating that happy ending for your kids.
- The latest research on the benefits of sleep and exercise. Chronic sleep deprivation can have detrimental effects on children’s health, happiness, and ability to learn. Dr. Carter shares the latest scientific research on the effects of sleep on our cognitive abilities. Prioritize healthy sleep and exercise in your daily routines. Exercise is the most effective happiness booster and stress releaser of all activities. Spoiler alert: the results are dramatic!
- Consciously practicing authentic gratitude. Getting kids in the practice of gratitude comes with all sorts of other bonuses besides being less entitled. Grateful people are considerably more enthusiastic, likable and determined, are more likely to be kind and sleep better. This class will also give you tips for dealing with gratitude resistors.
- The value of family dinners and how to make the most out of them. Studies have shown that family dinners can even trump reading to your children in terms of helping to prepare them for school.
- The neuroscience of happy memories. Dr. Carter will talk through a valuable routine for helping your children recognize the the good things all around them and turn them into positive memories that last.
- How to raise kind and compassionate children. We will share several ways to get started. Just thinking about giving has a positive effect on health and happiness that is similar to actually doing the giving!
This is what you get when you enroll in this ONLINE CLASS:
- SCHEDULE FLEXIBILITY. We know juggling parenting and everything else can make it difficult to find time for a class. This is online class is MADE for busy people!
- You’ll get four video classes that you can watch anytime:
– Sleep and Exercise Make Us Happy and Smart
– The Power of Family Dinners: Even if You are Super Busy, Here’s How to Do it
– How to Raise Grateful Children
– The Neuroscience of Happy Memories: What You Need to Know
- You’ll also get a BONUS WEEK: How to Raise Kids That Are Kind and Compassionate. Instead of trying to limit your kids’ exposure to the modern world, teach them happiness skills that will make them stronger and more capable in dealing with today’s pressures.
- ONLINE COMMUNITY. Access to a private Raising Happiness Classroom and Facebook group where we post bonus materials. You’ll be a part of a 24/7 community of like-minded parents.
- COACHING FROM DR. CHRISTINE CARTER, online and through a live Q&A coaching call with Dr. Carter on May 24th at 12:00pm PT/2:00pm CT/3:00pm ET. Space for the coaching call is limited. Register now and RSVP for access. Ask your questions on the call, or post a question online — Dr. Carter typically responds within 48 hours.
As I mentioned earlier, Raising Happiness is one of a carefully selected handful of online courses I’ve taken, loved, and have chosen to include in MPMK’s Continuing Ed Course Catalog. As always, thank you for allowing me to share what I’m truly passionate about here with you and for your continued support!
*Post contains affiliate links
P.S. Looking for more ways to simplify and save time so you can connect with your family this year?
Check out the sale we're having on our "Kids' Responsibility & Money Management Kit" and "Project Organize Your ENTIRE Life's Planner Printables" - over 45 printable pages in all!
Register for our Free Parenting Webinar this week:
And sign up for our newsletter!