When our Happy Drink post came out last month it got a hugely positive response! Apparently, there are quite a few of you out there looking for healthy ways to boost your energy in the morning.
One of the questions we got quite a lot of, though, was “what about the non-coffee drinkers?”. Today we’ve got an answer for you but I’ll warn you – it may take a little courage on your part to try it out. Are you game?
Hippocrates, the “Father of Medicine” recommended it, thousands swear by it, and yet there is not a whole lot of research to support the many, many benefits people claim to experience. Today we are talking apple cider vinegar. Have you tried it?
As with most of my healthy habits, my introduction to apple cider vinegar came from nutritionist Katie Jasper of Prescribe Nutrition. She recommended it while I was doing a program with her to help restore gut health.
During this program we were advised to cut out six potential culprits behind inflamation – one of them being caffine. Raw, organic, “with the mother” apple cider vinegar mixed into a full glass of water was listed as a part of my morning hydration routine. Apple cider vinegar mixed into water first thing in the morning? I can think of plenty of other things I’d rather do.
But energy is a pretty big deal at my house – I am sure you can relate. I can’t afford not to have the energy to keep up with the mile long daily check lists. So when caffeine goes, it’s gotta be replaced. There needs to be a morning ritual, and it has to help me maintain my energy.
Though it took a couple of days, and suffering from a few caffeine-withdrawal headaches, drinking a small amount of apple cider vinegar mixed into water not only perked me up, but it also kept me from the “afternoon lows” I so dread. You know, two o’clock comes and you’re either gonna nap (the out in two seconds, drool on your pillow style) or eat a cookie – yup, those lows.
Start light. Try it for a couple days and see how you feel. Many people report increased energy, better digestion, better sleep, and a boosted immune system, and that is really just the tip of the iceberg.
What’s in the mix?
- 1-2 tsp. Bragg apple cider vinegar(raw, unfiltered, ‘with the mother’)
- 8-12 oz. water
*I still drink with a straw and recommend it to protect those pearly whites
- Find a raw, unprocessed, organic ACV that is ‘with the mother.’ Our favorite is by Bragg, which can be found at many grocers or on Amazon here.
- Always dilute your vinegar before drinking it. Always. And if you have time, swish with water after to get a majority of the residue off of the enamel of your teeth.
- Talk to your health care provider if you have questions, or if you take any medications regularly (especially if you take medication for diabetes or heart disease).
Happy sipping (I find a cute straw always helps too).
*Post contains affiliate links.
P.S. Looking for more ways to simplify and connect with your family?
Latest posts by Anna (see all)
- On The Road – A Family Road Trip Survival Guide - July 22, 2013
- Getting Crafty And Recording It – A Father’s Day Gift Idea - June 12, 2013
- Free Resources to Try “Yogic Sleep” - May 28, 2013