An all natural morning energy drink for non-coffee drinkers

No More Highs and Lows – More Energy Without the Caffeine

When our Happy Drink post came out last month it got a hugely positive response!  Apparently, there are quite a few of you out there looking for healthy ways to boost your energy in the morning.

One of the questions we got quite a lot of, though, was “what about the non-coffee drinkers?”.  Today we’ve got an answer for you but I’ll warn you – it may take a little courage on your part to try it out.  Are you game?

Hippocrates, the “Father of Medicine” recommended it, thousands swear by it, and yet there is not a whole lot of research to support the many, many benefits people claim to experience. Today we are talking apple cider vinegar. Have you tried it?

As with most of my healthy habits, my introduction to apple cider vinegar came from nutritionist Katie Jasper of Prescribe Nutrition. She recommended it while I was doing a program with her to help restore gut health.

During this program we were advised to cut out six potential culprits behind inflamation – one of them being caffine. Raw, organic, “with the mother” apple cider vinegar mixed into a full glass of water was listed as a part of my morning hydration routine. Apple cider vinegar mixed into water first thing in the morning? I can think of plenty of other things I’d rather do.

But energy is a pretty big deal at my house – I am sure you can relate. I can’t afford not to have the energy to keep up with the mile long daily check lists. So when caffeine goes, it’s gotta be replaced. There needs to be a morning ritual, and it has to help me maintain my energy.

Though it took a couple of days, and suffering from a few caffeine-withdrawal headaches, drinking a small amount of apple cider vinegar mixed into water not only perked me up, but it also kept me from the “afternoon lows” I so dread. You know, two o’clock comes and you’re either gonna nap (the out in two seconds, drool on your pillow style) or eat a cookie – yup, those lows.

Start light. Try it for a couple days and see how you feel. Many people report increased energy, better digestion, better sleep, and a boosted immune system, and that is really just the tip of the iceberg.

apple cider vinegar drink

What’s in the mix?

• 1-2 tsp. Bragg apple cider vinegar(raw, unfiltered, ‘with the mother’)
  • 8-12 oz. water

*I still drink with a straw and recommend it to protect those pearly whites

Remember:

• Find a raw, unprocessed, organic ACV that is ‘with the mother.’ Our favorite is by Bragg, which can be found at many grocers or on Amazon here.
  • Always dilute your vinegar before drinking it. Always. And if you have time, swish with water after to get a majority of the residue off of the enamel of your teeth.
  • Talk to your health care provider if you have questions, or if you take any medications regularly (especially if you take medication for diabetes or heart disease).

Happy sipping (I find a cute straw always helps too).

*Post contains affiliate links.

Get your shopping done early with our Infamous Christmas Toy Gift Guides!

The following two tabs change content below.
Anna is a joyful wife and mom to two sweet girls. Nutrition became one of her passions when her first daughter was born prematurely and showed early signs of food allergies. She is now happily learning all about health and wellness as part of the Prescribe Nutrition team. (Use code: MPMK20 to try one of their courses at 20% off.) When not working, she can be found practicing yoga at Yellow Barn Wellness.

Barbie Harper April 19, 2013 at 12:31 am

I take Bragg ACV with water to prevent sinus infections when I’m congested. It’s supposed to thin mucus. I always add a little stevia (herbal sweetener) and it makes it fairly tolerable. I’m going to try doing this for energy in the morning! Good tips to protect the teeth. I had no idea about that. Thanks Anna!

Natalie April 19, 2013 at 7:41 am

I am a big fan of ACV. I usually add a bit of stevia or a splash of fresh-pressed juice and a few shakes of cinnamon and serve it over ice. My kids love it, too- they call it “Special Juice.” :)

Steph at MPMK April 19, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Love that idea Natalie – Stevia is such a life-saver for us when we need a little sweetness. We do it with smoothies, iced coffee & milk, and in Anna’s now famous “Happy Drink”.

anna April 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Natalie, my two year old was really congested and having sinus issues this winter. A pediatric specialist recommended a small amount ACV and it worked like a charm. I love your recipe – thanks for sharing.

gina April 19, 2013 at 9:49 am

My husband’s grandma is in her mid-90’s and since she was little she would drink 2 oz of honey and ACV every single day. She swears that is why she is so healthy.

Now sorry if this is TMI and gross but if I dont drink my morning coffee I wont go to the bathroom!!! Its like my ritual – drink coffee, go, done. haha Unless the ACV will make me go too?

Anna April 19, 2013 at 11:49 am

Hi Gina,
Not gross in my book :) Many people are in your same boat. Caffeine stimulates your colonic motor activity (aka it gets things moving). ACV is also great for digestion, and in this case it will improve overall digestion. Meaning you wont need to rely on caffeine to take care of business.

gina April 19, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Good to know! I will give it a try -thanks!

Erin April 20, 2013 at 1:07 am

Is it safe to drink when your pregnant?

Erika W April 20, 2013 at 11:58 am

I don’t know why not…it’s all natural, real ingredients. You should ask your obgyn just to be sure though.

Nicole April 21, 2013 at 10:52 am

Yes, it IS safe to drink during pregnancy! There are other factors to consider though before you dive in:

1. Are you suffering any heartburn? If you are, you sould already be drinking ACV to sooth your heartburn (it works instantly and has none of the side effects of medications)
2. Do you have any constipation or diarrhea? If you have constipation, its perfectly okay to take ACV and may even help alleviate this problem. If you suffer chronic diarrhea during pregnancy you’ll want to start slow with you ACV because it really does stimulate the digestive track and can aggravate this problem.
3. Are you at risk for gestational diabetes? If you know you have GD or are at risk for GD, talk to your doctor first. ACV has a profound effect on blood sugar, thus needs to be considered when planning treatment of GD.
4. If you have any risk factors for pre-term labor, do NOT take ACV. Since it stimulates the digestive system, it often facilitates strong bowel contractions, which in turn can stimulate uterine contractions. In women prone to pre-term labor, these uterine contractions can rupture the membranes, or turn into full blown labor.

Generally speaking, if you have a healthy, uncomplicated pregnancy, ACV is extremely healthy, but should be started slowly!

Erika W April 20, 2013 at 11:55 am

I’ve been doing this since December…I also add dissolve a tbsp of honey in hot water first, then add cold water to measure 16 oz total, then add the ACV (I use 2-3 tbsp ACV).

anna April 20, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for sharing your recipe! Honey is a great addition. Bragg also recommends black strap molasses which is also nutrient packed.

anna April 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm

*blackstrap molasses

Sheila April 20, 2013 at 12:01 pm

what does that mean ‘with the mother’?

anna April 20, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Here is what Bragg says,
“The mother is the dark, cloudy substance in the ACV formed from naturally occurring pectin and apple residues – it appears as molecules of protein connected in strand-like chains. The presence of the mother shows that the best part of the apple has not been destroyed. Vinegars containing the mother contain enzymes and minerals that other vinegars may not contain due to overprocessing, filtration and overheating”

cecile April 23, 2013 at 8:56 am

and if you keep it ( the mother), you can then make your own vinegar at home! it’s a super easy and natural process.

sarah April 20, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Do you know if this is okay to do while pregnant and do capsules of ACV provide the same benefit?

Nicole April 21, 2013 at 10:55 am

check my response to Erin above before starting ACV while pregnant. Generally its fine, but there are a few reasons you might not want to take it.

anna April 20, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Sarah,
The Braggs website has a Q&A regarding using ACV while pregnant – and they say it’s fine. However, it is always best to check with your doctor, nurse, midwife, etc. Better safe than sorry, right?
Anna

Kelly April 22, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Do you know if the apple cider pills work the same way?

christy April 23, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Does it “negate” the benefits of the ACV if you use hot water? I tried it with cold and hated it, but if I mix it with hot water it sort of tastes like mulled cider and I liked that a lot better.

anna April 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Hi Christy,
You sure can! It can be mixed it with hot water and honey and sipped like it’s a tea. Enjoy :)

Brittny March 8, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I try this with liquid b-12 and cranberry juice (not cocktail!) and it’s actually much tastier that way.

erin April 11, 2014 at 7:31 pm

I love this article. I have some Bragg’s ACV in my fridge right now. It has been there for at least a year. Is it still good?