A healthy fat morning pick-me-up that will have you excited to get out of bed in the morning.

Start Your Day Saying, “Hello, Happy Drink!”

You guys know I’ve been on a clean eating kick as of late.  So far it’s going pretty well – mood and energy are up, exhaustion is down.  And, major bonus, my adult acne (yay, you heard me) which mysteriously appeared about 6 months ago is gone - hallelujah!  It hasn’t been easy, but for the most part I’ve been able to find substitutes for my vices; cucumber slices with laughing cow cheese instead of crackers, stevia instead of sugar, etc.

The one place I’ve struggle though, is with my morning cup of Jo.  Most days I get by drinking iced decaf over milk with a few drops of stevia.  Some days, however, it’s just too cold for iced coffee and then I’m sunk.  Either I cave and go for the creamer or skip the coffee all together – both of which leave me grumpy later in the day.

Which is why, my dear friends, I’m so very excited about this mysterious “Happy Drink” that the lovely Anna from Prescribe Nutrition has brought to my attention.  A clean eating, healthy livin’, rise and shine beverage with Coffee AND chocolatey goodness? I’m in.

P.S. QUESTION OF THE DAY

How old were you when the coffee demon got ahold of you? (I was a late caffeine bloomer and didn’t get addicted until my babies started keeping me up all hours of the night.)

I am not a morning person, and that’s a very kind way to put it. Recently our three year old, who is by nature a “sleeper”, began waking up at ungodly hours.  So, I resorted to embarrassingly silly bribes to buy myself the time I needed to pry my eyelids open. I like to think that I am not really accountable for my actions if my eyes are closed and there’s fresh drool on my cheek.

Well, I have a pretty good reason to get out of bed earlier these days. Knowing I have a Happy Drink waiting to warm me up and make me feel amazing has me looking forward to my mornings – no joke. Let me back up and explain how I stumbled upon this concoction.

About a year ago I started participating in quarterly cleanses and detoxes – its like spring cleaning for your body, but it happens every three months. Anyhow, I learned really quickly that I needed way more healthy fats in my diet. As I ate ample amounts of healthy fats (which by the way, do not make you fat – quite the opposite actually), I was pleasantly surprised to find that:

• First, my “baby brain” almost totally disappeared. Yes, my “baby” is two – don’t judge me. Really though, I felt as if the fog finally lifted, and I could focus, and remember things again. I still occasionally drive away with my phone on the roof of my car, but I have been doing that since I was 18, so that’s that.
  • Second, I lost weight. Yup, eating healthy fats actually aid in weight-loss. The word “fat” has such a bad reputation that a lot of us tend to group all fats together, but rest assured, all fats are NOT created equal.
  • Third, my skin improved pretty dramatically. A healthy glow and no need for lotion, need I say more? Okay, fine twist my arm. I think fine lines improved, too.

I could go on and on about the NEED our bodies have for heathy fats, however, I don’t have the space to list it all.  So without further ado, meet my new best friend, the Happy Drink:

• 1 cup of coffee – we drink Newman’s Own Organics K-cups (they have both regular and decaf).
  • Coconut milk – we buy Native Forest Unsweetened Organic (available as a 12 pack or one extra large can), so yummy AND the can is BPA free – a double win. I probably pour in at least 3-4 oz. because, like I said, I want those healthy fats in a MAJOR way.
  • 1 heaping tablespoon or more raw cocao powder (we use Navitas Naturals).

This drink is packed with healthy goodness. Coconut milk’s benefits are many, but most notably it’s:

• rich in vitamins and minerals
  • an immune system booster
  • magnesium-rich (magnesium is a BIG deal in the mineral world)
  • a metabolism booster
  • a weight-loss aid
  • a digestion aid

Next comes cocao powder, and yes, it’s spelled correctly. Cocao powder is considered to be one of the richest sources of immune-boosting antioxidants found in nature. In addition, the combination of anandamine, theobromine and phenylethylamine found in cocao powder are actually mood boosting.  See… Happy Drink!

Not a coffee drinker? Good for you – don’t start!! This could easily be added to a yummy morning smoothie. Maybe throw in a banana, some spinach and almond butter, too? Sold. Yum.

May all your mornings be happy mornings!

Question of the Day

*Post contains affiliate links

The following two tabs change content below.
Anna is a joyful wife and mom to two sweet girls. Nutrition became one of her passions when her first daughter was born prematurely and showed early signs of food allergies. She is now happily learning all about health and wellness as part of the Prescribe Nutrition team. (Use code: MPMK20 to try one of their courses at 20% off.) When not working, she can be found practicing yoga at Yellow Barn Wellness.

Kara March 5, 2013 at 1:19 am

I didn’t get into coffee until I was back from Europe and working my new job. We had a coffee stand on site and I started trying mochas. Back then I had them more chocolate than coffee but it wasn’t long until it was more coffee than chocolate! Now I brew my own shots of espresso at home and make my own chocolate syrup to flavor my mochas. Aside from knowing what goes into my daily fix, it is SO much cheaper than buying from elsewhere.

Johanna March 5, 2013 at 3:41 am

Yum!
Want some variation and even more sense of luxury? Add a few drops of peppermint oil – voila, you got yourself a peppermint mocha!

I first started drinking coffee at about 18, drinking LOTS in periods and less in others. These days I try to limit myself to two cups a day. I have yet to try cold brew, that they say is healthier than regular coffee and with a milder, sweetwer taste which would suit me now that I dont drink milk any more.

mpmk March 5, 2013 at 12:09 pm

That sounds delicious Johanna – thanks for the tip.

Anna March 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I love this idea!! Thanks, Johanna :)

Brittany S. March 11, 2013 at 3:36 pm

You can also drop a peppermint teabag in for a few minutes to get the minty flavor. :)

mpmk March 11, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Great tip Brittany!

Aleicia March 5, 2013 at 4:16 am

I, to, was a late coffee bloomer. I somehow made it through medical school and residency without getting hooked of coffee (or chocolate covered espresso beans that were all the rave at late night study groups, YUCK!!!). But, add one baby, and then another :) to real life and you have yourself a new regular coffee drinker! It may just be one cup in the morning, but please, don’t leave me out of the pot….and, yes!, our machine is on auto-brew for 5am, thank you very much ;-)

Leeann March 5, 2013 at 6:18 am

I never started and I’m sooo glad I didn’t! My parents were addicted to coffee in my early years and when I was 12 I had an experience that totally turned me off coffee for life. My three sibs, my mother and I were travelling abroad on military transport and my mother, who normally drank about a dozen cups a day (this was the 70s!) didn’t have access to coffee for about 24 hours. She woke up in our hotel room and literally couldn’t get out of bed. My 13 y.o. brother had to go down to reception to get her a cup of coffee (he was terrified – in an unfamiliar country, mother incapacitated and being asked to do something he’d never done before). She was then able to function. It was an eye-opener for me and for her! She cut WAY down and now drinks two decaf a day. Evil stuff! ;-)

Matt March 5, 2013 at 8:40 am

Whoops. COCAO spelled correctly in the article, but auto-correct “fixed” it in the pic.

mpmk March 5, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Thanks for the reminder Matt – I noticed the mistake last night before bed but got distracted (as you do) and forgot to fix it :),

Matt March 5, 2013 at 8:41 am

I am off to the grocery store so I can try this today!

Kar-Lyn March 5, 2013 at 8:56 am

Sounds delicious! I have some almond milk on hand, think that would be good and healthy as well??

Anna March 5, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Almond milk is another great choice! You may want to scale back on the cocao powder a bit with almond milk. The thickness of the coconut milk seems to “hold” the powder well. Almond milk is not as thick, so you may want to start with a teaspoon and taste-check from there. Let us know what you think of the almond milk substitute if you get a chance.

Shirley March 5, 2013 at 8:56 am

Is there a difference between the canned coconut milk and carton? I always thought the canned was very thick & creamy. It just seems like a lot of coconut milk. I am going to try it either way. I didn’t start drinking coffee until after my 2nd son was born and tube feedings every 3 hours taking 45 minutes, getting literally an hour of sleep at a time. I was a walking zombie and coffee was my crutch. Now, however, I think I am more of a creamer addict. Add a new baby and I feel myself being pulled back to coffee/creamer. Really want to eat more clean and drinks seem to be the area I struggle the most in. Thanks for posting an alternative!

Anna March 5, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Hi Shirley! I am going to quote one of the nutritionists I work with on this one. Here is what Katie Jasper (of Prescribe Nutrition) has to say, “Our preference? Can. 100%. A can contains 2 things – coconut water and the meat of the coconut (which makes milk)… the carton, well I’m sure you can see, contains many other ingredients. We like the taste of the real deal too:) I order Native Forest coconut milk by the case. You absolutely have to seek out BPA free cans. For recipes using coconut milk, they likely aren’t calling for one or the other.”
Does this help?

Shirley March 8, 2013 at 10:59 am

Yes. Thank you, Anna! Definitely a difference between can & carton. I tried it this morning and was surprised how good it was. Eliminating flavored creamer from my mornings helps limit my sweet tooth for the rest of the day. Hate to use caffeine as a crutch but just a little bit makes a huge difference in my morning mood currently. :) Again, thank you for helping me in my journey to a cleaner, healthier lifestyle.

Gina March 5, 2013 at 9:24 am

Ok I know you said that this is a “healthy” fat but doesnt coconut milk have like 18grams in a cup? I know its really high and ugh I just cant fathom adding that much fat to my very lowfat coffee I drink now…..

I honestly have no idea when I started to drink coffee….maybe in college??

p.s. I am dealing with adult acne too – it sucks!

Anna March 5, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Hi Gina! It is so hard to rewire our brains to believe that fats can be good for us. Healthy fats are actually a necessity – coconut milk can even help you burn fat, help support your hormone heath, and help with digestion. The fat in coconut milk is so different than the fat in unhealthy processed foods. If you’d like to try it, start by adding in an ounce our two to your coffee. You should feel satisfied or full after. For me, there is something so satisfying about this fat-filled coconut milk , that I don’t get sugar or processed food cravings anymore. It became easy to cut out the bad fats as I filled my body with the good. There are many articles out there on the benefits of coconut milk and oil – check it out if you want to learn more!

Stacy March 5, 2013 at 10:16 am

I’m going to try this! I have my coffee now with a splash of milk and coconut oil for the healthy fat, but I never thought of just adding coconut milk.

Jennifer March 5, 2013 at 10:23 am

I too didn’t drink coffee until my son was born. I hought it was so gross even the smell was gross. Then I needed something to help me stay at least half awake during the day so I started drinking coffee. It started with a little coffee and a whole lot of french vanilla coffee creamer. Since then it has been a lot more coffee and a little less creamer. I have also tried different kids of coffee until I got something that wasn’t too strong and not too weak. I love my tassimo and I get the nabob 100% Columbian. I love my coffe adn I try to limit to 1-2 a day. It now depends on how much my daughter keeps me up.

Lainey March 5, 2013 at 10:34 am

I started drinking coffee in college, quite typically. But I had to share that my mother just started drinking coffee recently, at the ripe age of 70!

mpmk March 5, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Thats hillarious Lainey – I will say I’m not totally against coffee. The problem for me was the creamer I drank with it every morning. Coffee itself has antioxidants which are good for us – all things in moderation, right?

Bethany March 5, 2013 at 11:28 am

It was in college for me. I grew up in a small town where the trendy coffee shops hadn’t caught on yet. But once I embarked on studying engineering….I needed something to help me get through class after studying and doing homework until 2 am. I was never much of a soda drinker, so I tried coffee. Then I got a job at a coffee house and really began exploring it. And have been in love ever since. Full on coffee snob here! I like it light to mid roasted (none of this Starbucks roast-it-til-its-black crap), unsweetened, with just a splash of cream. I’ll have to give this one a try, as I do like a little chocolate in it now and then (my favorite is the Abuelita Mexican Chocolate Powder). I also need more healthy fats so this is a great way to get some more. Thanks for sharing!!!

Kimb p March 5, 2013 at 11:46 am

I started on coffee at 15. Went to a private Christian college prep academy which mean extra classes and a huge workload. I survived high school on coffee. I quit drinking it during both pregnancies but now I have an infant and a toddler so I’m back on th caffeine train.

Michele March 5, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I started drinking coffee when I got my first office job, I think I was around 22. Up to 2 years ago I drank 8+ cups a day(my coffee maker broke and I refuse to buy one made in China). Now I drink 2 cups a day (using a French Press). But coffee has antioxidants it, so it’s not as bad for you as they make it sound. I think I’ll try this. I use Organic fat free milk in my coffee now, never thought to use coconut milk instead. Thanks

Annie March 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Hi there…I know this is crazy random, but I love the picture (as well as the content) and wanted to know where your shirt is from? I adore it! Also, thanks for the the “Happy drink”, I’m also starting clean eating and love coffe = love your idea. Thanks! Have a fabulous day! a

Anna March 5, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Hi Annie! The shirt is a new purchase from Anthropologie: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/clothes-blouses/26466631.jsp
It is as comfortable as it is cute :)

Christine March 5, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Coconut milk is higher than cow and almond milk in calcium?! I haven’t found any info that says that. In fact, it’s pretty low in calcium according to everything I’ve found. Almond milk would have more. Mind sharing a link? I’m still trying to find good sources of calcium for my toddler since we’ve ditched dairy.

Anna March 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Hi Christine- I am looking for the source, but as I have been clicking around, I am finding the same – not as high – sorry for the confusion. I can have Steph take it down. If I can find my inaccurate source, I will still share it there is anything of merit in the rest of the article. A great source of calcium for your toddler is chia seeds. Add them to smoothies or morning oats, or make a chia gel sweetened with some pom juice.

Christine March 5, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I did find one source that gave an insane amount of calcium for coconut milk, but it was a pro-coconut website (that sells coconut product as well). A *tad* bit biased. ;) We have chia seeds! I always remember them in green smoothies but never in oatmeal. Will try that too!

Maureen March 5, 2013 at 4:18 pm

College – junior year to be exact. I got my husband hooked after our second (colic-y) baby.

Question – can someone tell me where I could get the cacoa other than Amazon? Maybe Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods? I’d love to pick some up on my way home tonight to try tomorrow morning …..

Anna March 5, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Hi Maureen! Whole Foods sells the Navitas Naturals Raw Cocao Powder that we have listed on this blog.

Sally from Little Hiccups March 5, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Also, I thought I’d add that this recipe sounds delicious.
My tummy doesn’t always like milk as much as I want it too so this might be a great alternative to my regular morning latte made with Lactaid. Not sure if I’m keen on making it into a mocha but Ill give it a try. I guess I could always make it without the cocoa too – although it may not taste quite as nice.
Off to buy some coconut milk…

Sally from Little Hiccups March 5, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Hmm… my first comment still doesn’t appear. I actually tried posting it a second time and it still no luck. It was rather lengthy so maybe it was too long. Is there a limit for the length of comments?

Tanya March 6, 2013 at 12:50 am

I was in second grade when I got a hold of my mom’s latte and loved it…sigh…don’t judge. I was raised in Austria.

I love this above recipe…

Am recently addicted to O.N.E. coconut water – it has the least amount of sugar content that I have found so far. But so expensive :(

Elizabeth March 6, 2013 at 12:59 am

This looks amazing! What is the difference between canned coconut milk vs the paper cartons? Is the can better?

anna March 6, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Hi Elizabeth! I am going to quote one of the nutritionists I work with on this one. Here is what Katie Jasper (of Prescribe Nutrition) has to say, “Our preference? Can. 100%. A can contains 2 things – coconut water and the meat of the coconut (which makes milk)… the carton, well I’m sure you can see, contains many other ingredients. We like the taste of the real deal too:) I order Native Forest coconut milk by the case. You absolutely have to seek out BPA free cans. For recipes using coconut milk, they likely aren’t calling for one or the other.”
Native Forest cans are BPA free, and, in my opinion, their milk is the best tasting!

Rebekah March 6, 2013 at 3:19 am

I am so doing this. I don’t drink coffee, but I recently discovered a drink called Teeccino that’s brewed like coffee and is marketed as a coffee substitute, and it’s actually good for you! It’s a blend of herbs, seeds, and nuts that are roasted and ground. I probably sound like a spokesperson, but I just really like the drink a lot. I think the coconut milk with the cocao powder is totally going to kick it up a notch! Thanks!

anna March 6, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Oh Rebekah – you totally put a bee in my bonnet! I am going to have to find Teeccino. Where do you buy it?

Rebekah March 6, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Anna, I get it from Whole Foods, Fred Meyer, or Amazon. Amazon has the best price. You can use the store locator on Teeccino’s website (I believe it’s just Teeccino.com) to find a retailer who carries it in your area. If you can’t find it in the coffee section, it might be in the natural foods or organic section. I should probably also add that it doesn’t exactly taste like coffee. It does to me because I haven’t had a cup of coffee in ten years or so, but for current drinkers, it’s not the same. Still, it is a delicious drink, and it comes in several flavors. I really hope you like it!

anna March 6, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Thanks, Rebekah :)

Yasmin Allen March 6, 2013 at 4:11 am

I thinks it’s important to note that even though coconut milk has good fat, there is far more bad, saturated fat, around 80 percent of the fat is saturated.

Rebekah March 6, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Hi Yasmin,
The saturated fat in coconut milk is actually the best fat in it! It has medium chain fatty acids in it which are used by the body right away instead of being stored. This is a great article that details a lot of the virtues of coconut oil. http://www.nutrition.org/asn-blog/2009/07/coconut-oil/
It’s really great stuff, and it has a high smoking point, which makes it even more useful for cooking than EVOO. There’s tons of research out there on it now.

Juli March 6, 2013 at 9:49 am

Tried your recipe this morning! Loved it! Question on the coconut milk. I got the can that you suggested. How do you store the remaining coconut milk? Right now I have mine in a small glass storage container in the fridge. Thanks for a great clean coffee recipe!

anna March 6, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Hi Julie! You did exactly what I do :) I store it in a mason jar in my fridge. One can usually lasts me about 3 days, which is great because I believe the can says that the milk stays good for four days after opening.

Jessie March 6, 2013 at 11:38 am

Love this! Just tried this morning and I am in heaven. One question, though. We only had raw cocoa powder in the house so this is what I used. I know that cocao and cocoa are processed differently but do you know if they have the same nutritional benefits?

anna March 6, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Jessie, great question! From what I can gather, cocoa is a processed and sometimes sweetened form of cocao bean (seed). The processing of the cocao been/seed (to make the cocoa powder) will lessen the nutrient value – the extent to which it is lessened seems to be a debated topic. When in doubt, I say go unprocessed :)

Kati March 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Anna!!! I was giddy reading this first, in hopes I could find a better option than my blah cucumber water BUT, then I realized it was YOU! Thank you, thank you! The kids & esp. Andy will be thrilled to have a HAPPY (clean Java)Mama first thing in the mornin! XO

anna March 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Hi Kati!! So fun to connect with you through MPMK! There is a accurate saying that goes something like, “When momma ain’t happy, ain’t no one happy!” And isn’t that the truth?! I hope you enjoy the drink :) Try to buy the Native Forest coconut milk – you wont regret it…delicious!!

anna March 6, 2013 at 3:03 pm

*an accurate

meghan March 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I started drinking coffee at 27 when I was going through a divorce and going back to work at the same time. I slept very little during this time and coffee and running became by way of dealing with it all. It was a gradual climb to daily coffee though my coffee habit has never been out of control, 2 cups a day is my max. I’ll be trying this drink tomorrow morning:)

Siouxzy March 6, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Have you tried brewed cocoa? It is my favorite! Brews just like coffee and soo healthy for you. It doesn’t have caffeine, but it has theobromine, which is awesome. You should check it out. I love coconut milk :)

anna March 6, 2013 at 11:46 pm

I have not! I am adding that to my list though :)

Jenn March 6, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Sorry to be a pest! I have high triglycerides and low hdl and have been following a diet more focused on my fat intakes – was told lower saturated fats (I don’t have trans fats anyways) and take in more good fats… Everyone gives the impression that saturated fats are bad but I am learning there are good fats there – ie. sat fat from coconuts. Any advice on deciphering good and bad saturated fats? Can’t wait to try this happy drink! I started my coffee addiction around the time I was 18 – work and school full time and planning a wedding I used it to stay wired!

Kirsten March 7, 2013 at 9:25 am

I have never heard of good saturated fats. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are the fats that are good. Examples of polyunsaturated fats are nuts, seeds, fish, algae, leafy greens, and krill. Examples of monounsaturated fats are nuts, avocados, canola and olive oil. Even though the saturated fat from coconut milk is plant based (which is better), it will still raise your LDL (bad cholesterol). It can also raise your HDL cholesterol some, but you’re much better off doing that consuming mono- and polyunsaturated fats. I love coconut milk, and coconut milk does offer other health benefits, but I would purchase reduced fat coconut milk and use it sparingly – keeping in mind that you are still consuming a high amount of saturated fat. And saturated fat is bad. There may be different levels of bad, but it’s still bad.

Jen March 11, 2013 at 2:38 pm

There ARE good saturated fats. See Rebekah’s comment (from above):

Kirsten March 11, 2013 at 8:38 pm

The lauric acid in coconut milk does help raise HDL (good) cholesterol, so I agree, there are benefits to using it. However, for someone who is at risk for a heart attack, I still am going to side with the professionals and say it is better to stick to mono and polyunsaturated fats because even while the laruic acid in coconut milk raises HDL cholesterol, it also raises LDL (bad) cholesterol.

The real problem I see is that when we start thinking of of fats in terms of “good” and “bad” we think, this fat is “good” so I should consume about 4 grams of it in my coffee every day. It’s still fat and should be used sparingly. The point of identifying “good” and “bad” fats is to make a point of consuming the better option when fats must be used. Just because it has good health benefits, such as raising, HDL cholesterol, it shouldn’t be consumed as though it were an apple or a whole grain.

All that being said, people should live and enjoy things, and I appreciate this recipe as a healthier option over creamer. For me personally, I think there should be a balance between enjoying things and being healthy and this recipe offers something in between, which is great.

anna March 7, 2013 at 12:25 am

Hi Jenn,
Let me start by saying that I am not a nutritionist or doctor, so of course, ask your doctor if you have any nutritional worries! If you get your fats from whole foods like nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, coconut etc. you will not only be getting a good dose of healthy fats, but also avoiding processed foods. One thing the Prescribe Nutrition nutritionists make clear is that processed food, in particular low-fat or reduced-fat foods, are going to be high in sugar. Cutting back on sugar will be helpful in lowering your triglycerides – so its a double win for someone wanting to up their good fats and lower triglycerides. Here is a mini slide show about healthy fats: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7592/5-fats-that-dont-make-you-fat.html
I hope this helps!

Jessica March 7, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Yes please! This is exactly what I’ve been looking for to brighten up my morning coffee. Thank you :)

amy March 7, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Just wondering what cleanses you’ve done, or do on a regular basis. I’ve tried a couple different ones and wasn’t really happy with them. I’d love your opinion.
Thanks!

anna March 7, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Hi Amy! I am really fortunate to work with the nutritionists at Prescribe Nutrition, so I do my cleanses with them.

Kendra March 8, 2013 at 2:17 am

Might be a simple question: but do you heat the coconut milk before adding it to your coffee? I’ve got all the ingredients and I’m ready to be “happy” tomorrow!

anna March 8, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Hi Kendra! I don’t, but I prefer room temperature beverages {even my water}, so I actually appreciate that it cools my hot coffee down. You could certainly warm it up on the stovetop prior to adding it, or add it and then reheat your drink.

Kendra March 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Ha! I figured that was the reason you hadn’t mentioned it! I am loving this so much! (I do warm the coconut milk first) and even my husband has started using it instead of creamer! Thanks so much!

s March 8, 2013 at 8:08 am

does the cocnut milk leave an oily film on top? what do you do if the milk and water seperate in fridge?

anna March 8, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hi! I have noticed, in certain lights some oil on the top. I store my coconut milk in a mason jar in my fridge, so I just shake it up before pouring.

pattyseifert March 10, 2013 at 7:44 pm

oh I am old enough to know better! started drinking coffee in my 50′s, about 6 years ago!

Jenn March 11, 2013 at 12:39 am

Hi, I started drinking coffee in college, and with baby number two in my arms, my coffee addiction is at an all time high! I’ve even started brewing a pot in the evenings, I just love the moment so much. But, my issue is that I dont just like the coffee, I have an affinity for certain Vanilla creamers that I know are just so so so bad for you! I’m always on the hunt for a good subsiitute. I’ll give this a try for sure!

gina March 11, 2013 at 8:22 am

I just tried this today – I usually put a little vanilla creamer in my coffee and it makes it sweet enough that I dont need any thing else – I made it with the cocao and coconut milk and there is zero sweetness at all…. I had to add a little sugar to mine – guess it will take some getting use to =)

Amy Allen Clark March 11, 2013 at 11:58 am

Just ran out to get everything to make this and it is delicious. I did add a little stevia, to help with the sweetness, and did go with lite coconut milk (yes, I have to be eased into being okay with healthy fats ;)) BUT it is SO good and SO filling. It is almost like drinking a mocha!

I shared it on our FB group- I can’t wait to drink this again tomorrow :) Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

KatieV March 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Pretty sure it’s spelled cacao… and this looks/sounds amazing! I have all the ingredients (even have the same k-cups you do) and will try this tomorrow. Thanks!

Maggie March 13, 2013 at 8:46 am

It looks wonderful, but I was wondering if it’s safe to have while nursing. I don’t know much about cocao powder (although I do know about cocoa powder :D) and wasn’t sure of it’s effects. We drink decaf coffee (because of nursing and because my husband and I don’t sleep at night if we drink any caffeine throughout the day). So I wanted to be sure it was safe for our little guy.

Robin March 13, 2013 at 1:44 pm

This is the first time I’ve been able to get milk out of my diet (not dairy, just milk) and I’ve stopped getting stomach aches. Thank-you so much!! I do: 1/8 c. coconut milk, teaspoon of cacao, 3/4 cup iced coffee and honey. Then shake it up and pour over ice. In the summer, I’m going to add half a frozen banana for a smoothie.

I read your link about the benefits of coconut fat and purchased some coconut oil for cooking and moisturizing. It’s amazing. Slightly life-changing :)

Ashley March 13, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Hi Anna. I am also trying to eat more clean in an attempt to feel better and improve my skin. I feel like since I had a baby I havent been able to maintain my skin or my energy level, but I also feel it’s challenging to cook clean meals for a family. Do you have any suggestions or go to meals/cookbooks?

Jennifer Horgan March 15, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I tried this today. I LOVE IT! I will not be returning to my creamers. I am so happy I found this and it’s chocolatey and coffee and the coconut reminds me of the beach and it’s good for me!

Andi March 17, 2013 at 12:23 am

I never had coffee til after having four children in five years! Then it became necessity. I love all things coconut too! I often brew really strong coffee in my stovetop percolator, then put it in the magic bullet blender with a TBS or so of coconut oil, and a TBS of unsalted grassfed butter. (I’m trying to increase healthy fats by doctor’s orders). Add a couple drops of peppermint spirits and mix it up in the blender for a few seconds. I know the butter part sounds weird, but it is the yummiest, creamiest, frothy treat! I usually add just a little milk or coconut milk too. It’s good with just the coconut oil too. Try it! You’ll love it!

Diana O March 17, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I clicked on your links you’ve provided for the coconut milk, I clicked the one for the large can, and checked the nutritional value of each because you stated you wanted the “healthy fats”. There is a total of 9g of fat per 1/4cup, and 8g of that is saturated fat. Saturated fat is the BAD fat!!!!! The good fats are the polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats! Which there is none of either one of the good fats in coconut milk. So by using coconut milk you are actually starting your day with more of the bad fats that you don’t want or need! My eye opener to the good vs. bad fats was when I went to my local library and checked out ‘The Flat Belly Diet Cookbook’. Before checking out that book, I would use coconut oil or milk in almost every meal that I cooked for my family. I was under the impression that it was “healthier” for us. In my research I discovered that as far as consumption coconut milk/oil is one of the worst and most misleading products out there. I hardly use it at all any more for cooking. Good ol’ organic fat free skim milk it is for my family now!!! I am however still a firm believer in the benefits of coconut oil as an external miracle!!! Best moisturizer I’ve ever used! ;-)

T.J. April 20, 2013 at 1:51 am

I disagree. Polyunsaturated fats are less stable and are more prone to oxidation than saturated fats. Heat, air, light, and water can all cause changes in polyunsaturated fats that cause free radical damage in the human body. My family actively avoids them (with the exception of EPA and DHA, and we’re picky about those).

Andrea March 23, 2013 at 12:17 am

I didn’t drink a.m. coffee till I met my husband 14 years ago. I drink it now only with sugar. I’m wondering if this would taste good just with coffee and the powder or another dairy product? I’m allergic to coconut :(

Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy March 23, 2013 at 10:35 am

I started drinking coffee off and on in college, but after having my son, it became my morning ritual. I usually make a regular latte, but sometimes I make a mocha latte with dark chocolate and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I love your recipe! I’ll have to try it!

Cat March 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm

This has nothing to do with your post, but what is the color of your nail polish? I love it!

anna April 8, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Hi Cat! It’s by Essie and its called “Absolutely Shore”

Amanda March 26, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Tried this last night. The cacao powder was too much for me; for all that I love chocolate, I did not love that at all. It left me wanting to add sugar to it, which rather defeats the purpose, it seems. I had a second cup, though, with just the coconut milk, and that was delicious. I feel a smidge guilty, since I normally drink my coffee black, so the coconut milk is definitely added calories. The health benefits, though, seem like it might be worth it, at least on occassion.

Rachael March 29, 2013 at 10:46 am

I tried this with coconut milk from a carton by mistake- yuck! I guess a can would taste better?

Roscoe April 9, 2013 at 5:12 am

Greate post. Keep posting such kind of info on your site.
Im really impressed by your site.
Hello there, You’ve done an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally suggest
to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.

julie coppin April 21, 2013 at 12:54 am

Fantastic post!! I really enjoy my daily cuppa joe. My husband and I have been drinking “bulletproof coffee”. Its low toxic coffee (washed) blended with a wack of butter from cows that eat a 100% grass diet & MTC oil (coconut oil). We LOVE coconut oil, coconut butter, and coconut milk in our house so I’m very excited to try out your happy drink! Cheers to happy mornings!

Danielle May 3, 2013 at 2:54 am

I’ve have been such a fan of this coffee since I saw your post on FB…I just shared it on my blog today. Cheers and THANK YOU!!

benefits of water June 24, 2013 at 4:02 am

First of all I would like to say great blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing. I have had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out there. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or tips? Kudos!

Fran June 26, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Hello! Just came across your blog today and I must say it’s fantastic! Haven’t gotten though all 80+ comments, so I apologize in advance if this question is a repeat- Could this be used as an iced coffee recipe as well?
I’ll also be trying the ACV morning recipe ASAP :)

anna June 27, 2013 at 1:35 am

Hi Fran! It sure could :) The coconut milk may get slightly clumpy from the ice, so you might need to stir it or shake it well – but it should still taste great. Happy drinking and I hope you love the effects of ACV, it makes the taste worth every drop.

Dori July 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

I love the coconut oil addition. I have been doing that for about a year. It really does make a difference. Dori ONeill · Granton Tech Innovative Online Learning
Coffee as a great source of antioxidants and coffee is the number one source of antioxidants in the American diet. What is not known is that until recently coffee roasted using traditional methods only contained 1/6 of the antioxidants of the raw coffee bean. That is due to the high heat in the roasting process which destroys the antioxidants. There is a new Patented Roasting method that preserves the antioxidants right to the finished cup of coffee. In fact it does not alter the flavor or the taste. You can learn more about this breakthrough roasting method at http://superantioxidantcoffee.com There you will find scientific research about this break through roasting process. Super antioxidant coffee is made with organic coffee beans.

Vydox July 28, 2013 at 7:17 am

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your post.
I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

Carla December 6, 2013 at 8:27 am

Isn’t it Cacao ? Not cocoa.

Annette December 7, 2013 at 11:26 am

Were can you buy raw cocao?

Stacy January 7, 2014 at 1:24 pm

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try this. I have a son on the autism spectrum so I know how much diet can affect your mood and energy. I’ve never thought to try coconut milk in coffee.

Melissa Shultz January 27, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Found this last week via Pinterest. The health benefits intrigued me so I had to try it. At first I thought it wasn’t sweet enough. But then I’m used to a ton of sweetener in my coffee. I did add a bit of honey. The more I drank it the better it tasted. I think I just need to ween myself off the simple syrup sweeteners and I can totally see myself drinking this everyday. I think I will try to add a dash of cinnamon in the future. Thanks for this fab happy drink recipe.

Jodi July 8, 2014 at 8:26 am

Hi I love your stuff! I have 5 kiddos and work full time as a kindergarten teacher. I just developed THe Adult Acne! My face had always been clear. Even during puberty! Yikes! How can I access the all natural ay of eating you wrote about? I am VeRY interested

Kasey July 8, 2014 at 8:43 am

I didn’t start drinking caffeine or coffee until I was in college – and even then I needed mostly decaf. My tummy was way too sensitive for that caffeine! But after having my second child and needing a little emotional help (antidepressant), my tummy could tolerate caffeine. And by the second child I needed it to get going in the morning!

Deborah @ mommycrusader July 8, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I’m not a coffee drinker, but the cocoa and coconut milk sound delicious! Add a few drops of stevia and warm the milk and it’d be a great morning drink without the coffee.

Tolie July 9, 2014 at 11:41 am

your link to Amazon is not working. I as well believe it is Cacao. Not cocao.
it’s either cocoa as in hot chocolate or cacao and in raw & extra healthy, isn’t it?

Kelli July 13, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I am going to try this. My husband stopped by the store and picked up the SO original coconut milk and Toll House cocoa. Will this work? Cocoa ingredients say 100% pure cocoa.