how-to-build-a-family-game-basket

Getting Ready for Spring: Make a Family Game Basket

When I think of spring I think of two things: spring cleaning and spring showers.  So right now seems like a great time to do some organizing and pull together a family game basket for rainy afternoons.

Said basket would also come in handy for Family Game Night – a tradition I’d love to get started around here now that the kids are getting old enough to enjoy the fun.

We already have a few favorite games of our own but I’m always on the lookout for more to keep S and C interested as they get older.  Plus a quality family game would be a great idea for the Easter basket.  A few days ago I asked our Facebook followers about their family favorites and they came up with a rather extensive list.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What’s your family’s go-to game for Game Night?

Here’s what our Facebook fans came up with (along with our family’s personal favorites in bold):

HIGHLY ACCLAIMED

81OIB-ECZYL._SL1500_

THE CLASSICS

91j+a2BuVfL._SL1500_

41egpYJ31bL

51D9rbrPcvL._SX342_

ESPECIALLY FOR THE YOUNGER SET

71HeSYO7B2L._SL1094_

91eMqGt1cYS._SL1500_

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Question of the Day

What’s your family’s go-to game for Game Night?

P.S. Speaking of spring cleaning and organizing…

POYEL-ebooks-button460*Post contains affiliate links

Get your shopping done early with our Infamous Christmas Toy Gift Guides!

Julia Deering March 19, 2013 at 8:02 am

My two children (aged 8 and 6) love making their own board games. They made Christmas themed games during the festive season, and recently my daughter made a Race to the Top of the Shard game after a visit to the new highest building in London. It’s a bit like Snakes and Ladders only with stairs and lifts!). My son invented a Roald Dahl’s Fantastic Mr Fox game with tunnels to navigate, farmers to avoid and chickens and cider to collect!

Plus, at the mo – my two kids are well into Pictionary. Hilarious. x

mpmk March 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

You know how I feel about kids getting innovative – LOVE that Julia!

Gina March 19, 2013 at 9:52 am

My oldest is 4 and he loves Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, and Hi Ho Cherry-O!
Although he doesnt like to lose….. I did try a trick I learned in “How to Talk” and it helped!!! =) So we are working on winning/losing and how both are ok!

mpmk March 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Oh good – hope you’ll tell us all about it during virtual book club on Thursday!

HollowSquirrel March 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Our absolute fave wasn’t on the list?! How is that possible? We LOVE Sleeping Queens — a card game that my two boys (ages 4 and 6) love, as do dad and mom!! It’s by the makers of Rat-a-Tat Cat (also fantastic, and I don’t even like cats!!) and Mouse in the House (ok, compared to the other two). These are all games that my four year old can play independently but that require strategy. I highly advise these card games!!!!

mpmk March 19, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

Lauren March 19, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Agreed! Sleeping Queens is a staple in our house (as is almost any game by Gamewright!).

Fiona March 19, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Our oldest son (8) is a game fanatic so most nights we have to fit in a game of rummy-o or dominoes or tri-ominoes or Phase 10 – all number-based games which require a bit of strategizing. We also love Blokus, which our 6 yo can also play.

mpmk March 19, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I’ve heard great things about Blokus and a facebook fan also mentioned phase 10 – thanks for the info.!

se7en March 19, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I wrote a post about our favourite family games recently (http://www.se7en.org.za/2012/12/15/se7en-1-s-favourite-games-family-games-classic-games-and-card-games ) Have to say we all love Cadoo. Generally, it seems to be the simpler the game the better… bananagrams has been a fave about forever… but we got Sumoku recently and it has been played continuously – we all love it!!!

Janelle March 20, 2013 at 12:07 pm

We picked up Life on the Farm, which turned out to be a good first board game for our daughter. It’s a game quite a bit like Candyland, for pre-readers.