Untitled-1

Virtual Book Club: What Should We Read Next?

It’s time to pick a new book for Virtual Book Club folks (yipeeee).  Before we get to the choosing, a few new ground rules…

I think you’ll all agree that our inaugural book stretched on for an epicly loooong time.  This time around we’re going to attack the thing in much larger chunks.  Here are the proposed steps:

1. Take a vote [Today]: We’ll do that here in just a bit.  Don’t forget that write-ins are totally welcome on the ballot.
  2. Announce our book [Friday March 1st] : Keep an eye out next Friday so you can pick up the book and get reading.
  3. Chat #1 [Thursday March 21st] : Time to dish! Come ready to discuss the first half of our book of choice.
  4. Chat #2 [Thursday April 11th] : It’s a wrap.  We’ll finish up with a discussion of the second half of the book.

What do you think – more manageable?  I’m asking for two things from you guys today:

1. Click on the link below to vote on your book of choice.
  2. Let me know in the comments if you have thoughts/suggestions on the new schedule.

Now, on to our options.  I’ve narrowed it down to two possibilites, only one’s a parenting books this time around.  Intrigued? No?  That’s probably because I put a big photo of both book covers on the top of the post, huh?

Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 10.19.31 PM

Click here to vote!

#1 - HOW TO TALK SO KIDS WILL LISTEN & LISTEN SO KIDS WILL TALK

from the publisher

The ultimate “parenting bible” (The Boston Globe) with a new Foreword—and available as an eBook for the first time—a timeless, beloved book on how to effectively communicate with your child from the #1 New York Times bestselling authors.

Internationally acclaimed experts on communication between parents and children, Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish “are doing for parenting today what Dr. Spock did for our generation” (ParentMagazine).  Now, this bestselling classic includes fresh insights and suggestions as well as the author’s time-tested methods to solve common problems and build foundations for lasting relationships, including innovative ways to:

·      Cope with your child’s negative feelings, such as frustration, anger, and disappointment

·      Express your strong feelings without being hurtful

·      Engage your child’s willing cooperation

·      Set firm limits and maintain goodwill

·      Use alternatives to punishment that promote self-discipline

·      Understand the difference between helpful and unhelpful praise

·      Resolve family conflicts peacefully

Enthusiastically praised by parents and professionals around the world, the down-to-earth, respectful approach of Faber and Mazlish makes relationships with children of all ages less stressful and more rewarding.

why I’m interested

I’m facing the cold, hard truth that my littles just aren’t going to see Mommy and Daddy as heros forever.  Planner that I am, I’m looking for a roadmap to help me form the kind of bond I want with my kiddos before it’s too late.  The title of this one says it all for me. Establishing good communication with your kids early on is critical in forming bonds and keeping the peace later on. Plus, it’ll pay us parents back tenfold when the teenage years arrive (right?!).

#2 - THE HAPPINESS PROJECT

from the publisher

Gretchen Rubin had an epiphany one rainy afternoon in the unlikeliest of places: a city bus. “The days are long, but the years are short,” she realized. “Time is passing, and I’m not focusing enough on the things that really matter.” In that moment, she decided to dedicate a year to her happiness project.

In this lively and compelling account, Rubin chronicles her adventures during the twelve months she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific research, and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier. Among other things, she found that novelty and challenge are powerful sources of happiness; that money can help buy happiness, when spent wisely; that outer order contributes to inner calm; and that the very smallest of changes can make the biggest difference.

why I’m interested

Who couldn’t use a little more happy?  I’ve actually become a bit obsessed with the topic of happiness ever since watching this with the hubby and I’ve heard this book is wonderful.  Just the idea of reading it makes me happy.

Question of the Day

What do you think of the new book club schedule?  Talking about a book half way through and again at the end feels like a good amount to me but what do you think?

*post contains affiliate links; photo sources here and here.

POYEL-ebooks-button460

We're teaming up with Dyson to help you get your home clean & organized.

This week, win ALL of MPMK's eBooks & Printables!

MPMK Printables & eBooks

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Marcela February 22, 2013 at 2:03 am

Elizabeth Lyons recommend How to talk so kids will listen in her book (my twin parenting bible, ahem) but I never got around to reading it. And I would love to, definitely very needed! The schedule is fine by me! If there’s no pressure I may procrastinate and never finish it.
On the topic of good communication, I also recommend Play to Talk. It is geared towards children with speech delays but it is an amazing resource for good communication skills, actually.

sue February 22, 2013 at 7:47 am

It is as though you have read my mind. Both of these books are sitting on my night table and I have been needing a push to read them. THANK YOU!

Gina February 22, 2013 at 8:43 am

I am currently reading the Happiness Project and the library called me yesterday to say that How to Talk So Kids Will listen was ready for me to pick up! Too funny!!!

I am loving the Happiness Project although I think I would prefer to do How to Talk so Kids will listen – I need this right now with my 4yr old and would love to get others opinions on the matter and take aways from the book – maybe we can do the Happiness Project after this one?

As far as the schedule goes that might be tough. I know for the happiness project each month she has a new goal so we would be discussing 6 goals (halk way thru) and then the other 6. That would be ALOT of commenting (meaning my post would be super long)

As for How to Talk – when I read the preview on Amazon the author suggests you read 1 chapter, put the book down and practice what you learned for a few days – then move on to the next chapter. There are 7 chapters – if this is the book maybe we can do chap 1 and 2 (for 2 weeks) then 3 and 4 (for 2 weeks) and then 5 and 6 and then 7/wrap-up. or are you trying to condense it?

I cant remember how you did it last time though……

Gina February 22, 2013 at 9:05 am

edited to add: Same would be true for the happiness project – maybe discuss Jan/Feb resolutions then discuss March/April, etc etc.
Just my 2 cents!

mpmk February 22, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Thanks for your comment Gina. I am trying to condense this time around. I just felt like it took way too long to get through last time and I don’t want to spend too much time on any one book in-case it’s not a topic that interests some readers.

Jenny at Spry On The Wall February 22, 2013 at 11:21 am

I’ve read the Happiness Project and loved it. I downloaded How to Talk and I need a push to read it. Would love for it to be that book!

Jenny R February 22, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Both books sound great and I think I will put them both on my reading list, but I would probably say How To Talk So Kids Will Listen… as my vote.

mpmk February 22, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I’m sensing a pattern here.

Agata February 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Can we read the How To talk first and then the other one? Both seem interesting…

Maggie February 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I’ve read them both and love them both. I always feel I could do with a refresher of how to talk though so I would vote for that first.

mpmk February 22, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Thanks for weighing in both in the comments and through the voting system. With 120 votes in, “How to Talk to Kids” is currently leading with 57% of the votes.

Also, the idea is to keep Virtual Book Club going indefinitely so we always have time to come back to whichever book we don’t choose. (In an interesting twist, I’ve also been informed that the author of “The Happiness Project” has a newer book called “Happier at Home”, which may also be on the list next time around!)

Maria at Maria Makes Muffins February 23, 2013 at 10:43 am

I just requested How to talk so kids will listen from the library this morning. Our 2.75 year old has been feeling a lot of jealosy towards his 5 mo old high-needs brother, so I really need a resource to help remind me to gently diciscipline him through this challenging time.

Allison February 24, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I have How to Talk on our shelf, lonely, unread, waiting for me. Like my kids most days as I run around trying to stay on top of laundry and meals. It’s my pick! Like the schedule!

Kim February 25, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I ordered “How To Talk…” Lets start reading! ;)

Rocio February 26, 2013 at 12:22 am

I’ve had How to Talk sitting on my night stand for me to read for over a month! So, hopefully this will get me stop me from watching Downton Abbey at the end of the day and finish reading it instead!

Nataliya March 7, 2013 at 5:17 pm

omg. So excited to see these two books here. I have read The happiness project already and love it a lot. (Am reading her second one, Happier at home now). I bought How to talk so kids will.. many months ago, but have been lazy reading it because my baby is still a toddler, I figured I have some time:p . But im so excited to see you guys have chosen this for the book club. I would love to be a part of it. Can anyone be a part of this?

mpmk March 7, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Yes, of course – the more the merrier. Just read the first half of the book and then stop back here on Thursday, March 21st reading to discuss!