Homemade Learning: Printable Counting Cards

Kaley’s here today with some lovely printable counting cards, perfect for teaching your littles their numbers at home.  At our house these have been printed, laminated and are already being used (and fought over – might need to print another set shortly).

By the way – do you guys have home laminators?  I resisted purchasing one for a long time (just another thing to fit on the desk, right?) but finally caved when we hosted a busy bag swap.  I bought this one and, must say, I’ve squeezed a surprising amount of use out of it – especially when paired with dry-erase crayons.

P.S. QUESTION OF THE DAY

Is teaching your littles at home important to you, or do you leave the heavy lifting to the professionals? And, if so, do you have any teaching resources or materials you’d recommend to the group?

There are tons of awesome, modern alphabet cards out there. But nice number cards are few and far between. I was looking for clean, beautiful cards that also satisfied my education background. And I wanted them in English and Spanish. After realizing that they just didn’t exist, I made my own.

The front of the cards have a rhyme to help little ones remember how to write the number, and plenty of numbers to trace. My daughter loves singing the rhyme as she traces the number. We use a dry erase marker so that we can use the cards over and over again.

The back of the cards are all about one-to-one correspondence. Many people mistakenly assume that because their child can count to 10 or 20 or 100, that they understand what the numbers mean. In actuality, they may have memorized the order of the numbers but not grasp that the number actually represents a quantity. You can practice this important skill using simple manipulatives. We count out loud as we place a manipulative on each of the dots.

Stuff to use with Printable counting cards - I laminated this lovely set and my kids love using them to practice their number writing and counting... a great quiet time activity.

For manipulatives, I usually just grab whatever I have handy. Dried pasta and beans are always easy. Legos are the perfect size and kids love them. And I just love my stained clothespins so I use them every chance I get. You could also use little felt poms, cotton balls, hershey kisses, buttons, dice, blocks, coins, paperclips, or any other little object you have around the house.

Do you want your own set of number cards? You can download numbers 1-10 from my Facebook page. Simply print them out on cardstock and laminate them or slip them into page protectors for extra durability.

Happy counting!

Question of the Day

Is teaching your littles at home important to you, or do you leave the heavy lifting to the professionals? And if so, do you have any teaching resources or materials you’d recommend to the group?

*Post contains affiliate links

The following two tabs change content below.
Kaley is a photographer who spends her days starting lots of projects and finishing few of them. She lives in San Francisco with her awesomely creative daughter and her amazingly understanding husband.

Nala February 18, 2013 at 6:15 am

I love your blog and posts and visit daily for inspirations! A big thank you!
I couldn’t resist commenting today, as teaching little ones is something I value very much for my four boys (1-7yrs). My older two boys (6 and 7) are now going to school, but having seen them grow up in a Montessori class when they were younger, I opted to signup for an online course (with materials) so that I could home school them, and it has been nothing short of fun and such joy these past 2 years.
There are lots of materials on the internet, many of them free, but for the materials, discussions and the guide she provides, I’d highly recommend Karens Montessori training worldwide (http://khtmontessori.com)! (I think the total cost ends up being around $150)

mpmk February 18, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Thanks for the resource (and the kind words). Montessori at home is something we’ve been interested in ever since hosting our Make Like a Montessori Mama series here on MPMK.

Katie February 18, 2013 at 3:43 pm

These look adorable but I can’t get the link to work. Help!

mpmk February 18, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Hi Katie,

Sorry you’re having trouble. The link is working for me – it takes you to Kaley’s facebook page which you need to “like” to get access to the printable. Does that help?

~Steph

Katie February 18, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Steph,

Thanks! For some reason it won’t bring her page up on my phone but it did work on my computer. Thank you! I love your blog.

Mary February 20, 2013 at 2:22 pm

These seem nice but, to be honest, I’m not a fan of having to “like” things on Facebook. It makes me feel like a little lab rat hitting a lever for a pellet of food. I hadn’t noticed that on MPMK before (been a fan since almost the beginning!), so I just thought I’d throw my two cents out there.

Kaley March 15, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Hi Mary,
I would be happy to send them to you via email if you prefer. Just contact me through my website at http://www.kaleyann.com and I will send them right over.
Thanks,
Kaley

Melissa February 21, 2013 at 12:30 am

So, I happened upon your Blog via Pinterest and I love the print-ables! Such a cute ideas. I was inspired to comment because of your question of the day. I opted to homeschool my children after trying a year at public school. We live in CA and we have a “no child left behind policy” in our schools. Basically classes are taught to the bottom level in classes. My children are not setting the curve but the certainly were not bringing it down either. We have home schooled for 2 years now and LOVE it! I start my preschoolers off with Five in a Row (FIAR) which is a great classical style teaching method. When they are Kinder age we move on to My Fathers World. I love that it teaches in time periods not geographically so it teaches what is happening in the world at a given time and how they actions of other nations effect other areas of the world. It’s different then the style I grew up with which taught about a different continent or country each year. Lastly we use a program for spanish called “La Clase Divertida” translated to “The Fun Class” It’s a great hands on spanish program. I hope you find what works best for you and your family because I know from experience that it’s the hardest part.

Missy February 21, 2013 at 2:23 am

Hi there,

I would really love to download these. I don’t have a FB account though..I am happy to link back to you on twitter if that works though? Please let me know!!

Thanks,
Missy

Kaley March 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hi Missy,
I would be happy to send them to you via email if that is better for you! Just contact me through the contact tab on my website http://www.kaleyann.com and I will send them your way!
Kaley

Cristina March 4, 2013 at 11:57 am

These cards are really nice! I was looking for something with traceable numbers (as my little one loves tracing now) but this adds much more fun and learning to the activity, and I love the idea of laminating the cards to use them over and over again! By the way, I have featured this post at my blog, in case you want to take a look:

Anel June 6, 2013 at 2:16 am

Awesome cards! the best way I have found to study numbers with my 4 y/o. He seems to enjoy them, we are only missing the number “0″. But thanks for sharing these!

Marie-Claire March 8, 2014 at 9:43 am

I printed these out for my twin boys (almost 4 years old) and Silas, who is more interested in writing and numbers, did every page nearly by himself. Incredible! Thank you for such a lovely and simple printable.

learn Spanish fast with rocket Spanish September 2, 2014 at 1:59 am

Thanks for finally writing about >printable number cards <Loved it!