timeoutwasteoftime

New FREE Webinar: Is Time Out a Waste of Time?

(image source)

I’ve got some very good news to share today.  Parenting guru, Today Show expert, and MPMK favorite Amy McCready is once again offering up a FREE webinar to MPMK readers next Wednesday, February 6th at 6pm PST/9 pm EST.  The best part?  It’s a brand new topic – Are Time Outs a Waste of Time?

I highly encourage you to drop everything and sign up ASAP – the last two webinars we hosted with Amy both filled up completely (all 1,000 spots!).

So about time outs – do you use them? Do they work for you?  I’ll admit, we do use them in our house (mostly in moments of weakness) and – no – I’m not sold on them.  In fact, I know I shouldn’t be using them.  Around here time outs aren’t really used as a tool, more as a last resort.  I find myself falling back on them when I’m at my wits’ end and just can’t think of anything else to do.

This, I acknowledge, is probably not a sound foundation for a parenting choice.  So I’m kind of salivating to hear what Amy has to say.  I could really use the refresher and I’ve truly enjoyed her previous webinars with us. Plus our general parenting philosophy falls very much in line with her positive parenting message.  Here’s a little more straight from Amy on what you can expect to learn…

Parents of kids ages 2½ – 16 will learn:

• What kids are really telling us when they don’t listen, talk back or flat out ignore us
  • Why the time is up for “Time Out” and “Counting 1-2-3″
  • Tool Box Solutions: the strategy parents consistently hail as magical in it’s effectiveness

…So, yes, I’ll be there with bells on – join me won’t you?  We’ll be congregating a week from today:

Wednesday, February 6th at 6pm PST/9pm EST – Sign Up Here

All you need is your computer. (No webcam required.) You’ll see and hear Amy on your screen and you can even ask questions and she’ll make them part of the presentation. I hope to see you there so we can learn a little something together.

About Amy McCready

Parenting expert Amy McCready is the Founder of Positive Parenting Solutions and a “recovering yeller.” She is a champion of positive parenting techniques for happier families and well-behaved kids. Amy reaches a worldwide audience with her Positive Parenting Solutions Online course and is a frequent guest on the TODAY Show and has also appeared on Rachael Ray, CNN, Fox & Friends, MSNBC, and elsewhere. In her most important role, she is mom to two teenage boys.

*disclosure: Please note that I am both an affiliate for, and a user of, Amy’s Positive Parenting Solutions courses.  I love them, which is why I’m sharing about them here with you.

Michelle January 30, 2013 at 2:12 am

Thank you so much for sharing, just signed up! One small suggestion, above you say “the last two webinars we hosted with Amy both sold out” because you use the word “sold” I almost didn’t click to check it out because I thought it was going to cost something. Glad to find out it’s free. Thanks!

mpmk January 30, 2013 at 2:23 am

Thanks for the note Michelle – I actually did think about that when I was writing it. Changed it to be more clear :).

Jess January 30, 2013 at 9:02 am

Hi! Thanks so much for posting the link! I signed up, as this is a webinar I could REALLY use. I use both time outs an counting to three, but positive results are becoming a thing of the past. Time outs don’t work at all these days. Now when we have our “Why were you in time out?” talk, I only get a generic “because I didn’t listen” or “because I was naughty” answers, meaning my otherwise good (and clever) child who did something requiring negative reinforcement is just saying what might end time out the fastest; and my child now WAITS for me to count to three before listening, or at least taking any action regarding what I say–total backfire!

I do have the issue that I live on GMT, so the webinar will be from 2-3am for me. Any chance this will be recorded for viewing later if I’m unable to drag myself out of bed at that time? I will honestly do my best to log in at that time, but if there is an option that will lead to less drowsy parenting the following day, I’d jump at it :-)

P.S. Stumbled on this website for the first time today. Love it!!

Jenny January 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

We used time-outs quite a bit a few years ago, my kids were 6 & 4 and I had just remarried. Going from being a single-mom to having a wonderful man by my side who wanted to be a great parent along with me was great, but we had to adjust and I will freely admit that my kids needed some loving discipline. We didn’t call them time-outs, we called it “five minutes.” We designated our downstairs powder room for these “five minutes” and when the need arose, usually because we were all losing our tempers, they would go to the bathroom and sit for a few minutes (we would set the timer for 5 minutes max) and after we had a couple minutes to calm down, we would go in and talk to them, discuss what went wrong, how we can do better and would always express our LOVE to them. We used it consistently and as they/we got better at gauging our reactions to situations, we have weaned ourselves off the “5 minutes.” We have been married almost 5 years now and I would say we haven’t had to use “5 minutes” for at least 2 years now. But now I have a 3 year old and I know time-outs or even our “5 minutes” won’t work for him so I’m very excited to hear what Amy has to say, I’ve already reserved my seat!

Jana January 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Let’s say you can’t make it for the exact time slot but you REALLY need to hear this :-) Are there other options or later dates for this particular webinar? Thanks!

Steph at Modern Parents Messy Kids January 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to answer the questions about getting a recording of the class. I believe it is possible as long as you sign up for the class and then email them after it’s happened. However I think I remember from last time there is a few days delay.

Hope that helps,
Steph

Dani January 30, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I echo much of what is said above by Jess! As hard as we’re trying, timeouts and counting don’t yield positive results anymore and with #2 treading so close to the terrible twos we need to figure it out! Sadly i have a business dinner during the webinar…please tell me you will post it here afterwards?

Jess January 31, 2013 at 7:39 am

Thanks for that info, Steph! Any idea where i could find the webinar recording after it happens? I dont at all mind a delay or a few days, a week, even a month as long as I can see it :-)

X Jess

Deise January 31, 2013 at 8:44 am

Hi… I would love to sit in but I’m Deaf and wouldn’t be able to hear what is being said. Can I get the script afterwards somehow? Thanks

mpmk January 31, 2013 at 11:30 am

Hi Deise,

I’ll look into it for you :)

~Steph

tanya February 1, 2013 at 10:26 am

Hi! thsi webinar sounds awesome! i signed up but did not get the confirmation email. I resent the signup form and requested another confirmation but did not receive it. Any advice!
Tanyagerald@aol.com

keri February 9, 2013 at 1:31 am

Hi Steph!

Thank you so very much for this webinar and for having an amazing blog! I recently found you on Interest and signed up for the webinar. You and I chatted for before it sarted…I have 2 kids 15 months apart:) I received the follow up email with the recording…opened it..and then it somehow disappeared! My computer jammed up so I wasn’t able to finish the webinar..it wouldn’t log me back on. I am bummed because I didn’t get to print the study guide either. Is there any way you could send me the follow up email…you can ask me any questions if you need proof that I was on for the first 20 mins….also..I just received a follow up email from Sandy…but it wasn’t the recording. Thank you in advance and please know you have already been my life line and phone a friend this week!;) You are one awesome mom and woman!!! Xo Keri

http://www.epicski.com/Lists/display/view/id/141220 December 30, 2013 at 6:56 pm

mniej. Zaczynało do niego nadciągać. Zasadna maszyny.

Popatrzył budowa (http://www.epicski.com/Lists/display/view/id/141220) na
dziurę w murze, rozrzucone odłamki cegieł plus pustaków.

Przestrzelony monitor, jakim sposobem
zauważył zee złością, ów zdrowszy, Została zaledwie podstawka.
Bubel główki
Kirpiczewa, natomkast raczej jej nadwyżka, wee wszystkich ewentualnych umieszczeniach,
na
ścianach, na suficie. Oraaz otwór wylotowy w drugiej ścianie.
Dostrzegł broń, którą
Wagner pieczoł.

maszynki budowlane January 9, 2014 at 3:05 pm

oczu. – Oszaleć jest dozwolone… Drogocenna usługi dźwigowe.
Wagner na krzyż maszynki budowlane
chwilę nie wiedział, o co chodzi, W końcu kiwnął
głową także odłożył hecklera.
Frodo ostrożnie uchylił powieki, ów jak jeden mąż pokój nie zawirował.

- Powinienem szczyptę ci wykazać – zawyrokował długo,
- Zbyt dużo tych trafów…
Otworzył szerzej oczy, spojrzał w sumie przytomnie.
- Umiesz, pamiętam, wciąż w Mińsku… – zaczął zewnętrznie.