etsycostumes

Handmade Halloween: Etsy Costume Roundup

I know it’s a little early for Halloween, but when talking costumes it never hurts to get ahead of the crowd.  I absolutely love the look of handmade Halloween costumes over store-bought.  But that doesn’t mean I have the time, or for that matter the talent, to actually make them.  In the next few years I’m really going to try to work on my sewing skills (and on recognizing that it’s about the effort and not a perfect product).  Hopefully I’ll be ready to whip something up by the time my kids are old enough to notice.  In the meantime, I’m turning to my favorite purveyor of handmade goods – Etsy.

If ever there was a match made in heaven, it’s Etsy and Halloween.  I love that the site has exponentially increased parent’s options for purchasing costumes.  The only downside?  To find the really good stuff you have to be prepared to muddle your way through a lot of stuff that’s not so great…  Or do you?

You know what? You don’t.  You know why?  Because you have me!  Last year I dutifully spent an entire Friday night sifting through a mind-numbing amount of knitted hats, owl outfits, and tutus (seriously, does EVERY little girl costume really need a tutu?  Since when do cow’s wear tutus?) to bring you the creme de la creme of handmade kid costumes. You’re welcome.

I was all prepared to do the same thing this year, so you can imagine my delight at discovering only 4 of the shops from last year’s roundup were no longer around.  So I went the lazy route, found 4 new choices and am reposting the list for you today.

As always with Etsy, if the item’s sold out I’d recommend convo-ing the seller as they will very likely be happy to make another for you. Oh, and one last thing.  Since Etsy specializes in handmade goods, prices can sometimes get a little ridiculous – at least in terms of children’s Halloween costumes (I’m talking $400 ridiculous).  To keep things from getting out of hand, I’ve arbitrarily limited this list to get-ups priced at $50 and under (There’s actually one from last year that went up in price from $50 to $60, I decided to grandfather it in).  Several are in the $20 – $30 range and one is only 14 bucks (that one’s actually $18 now but the good news there’s a new edition for only $12.50)!
Super Hero Onesies $12.50 each/$60 for the set via Linda Sumner Designs.

Rocketeer $36 via BitOWhimsy.

Sparkling Witch $49 via bella bow girls.

Piglet $38 via SproutlingLove .

3 Piece Super Hero set $26 via superkidcapes.

Oscar the Grouch $32 via shop 3130.

Sushi $42 via The Wishing Elephant.

Fred and Wilma sibling costumes $54 for the pair via HTHRGRC3HEATHER.

Fox mask and tail $30 via BHBKidstyle.

Peacock Witch $46 via Cuties Boutique.

Baby Lion hat $42 via Jaime in the Sky.

Pirate $27 via Brown Eyed Girl 1489.

Little Red Riding Hood $18 via Shelley Wallace.

Snow White $48 via Lily Jill Bowtique.

Pirates $47 via Main Street X.

Praying Mantas $60 via Mountain Mamas.

Giraffe hat $27 via Bethany’s 5.

Princess Leia Bun Hat $24 via Little Bird Lucy.

Dino cape with hood $28 via Mauky Jo.

Mermaid tail and crown $38 via birthday adventures.

P.S. Want more simple ways to make memories with the kids this year?  Check out our new eBook!

Hands-On Holidays: Simple Ways to Make Memories from October through December - can't wait to use this with the kids this year!

Get your shopping done early with our Infamous Christmas Toy Gift Guides!

RookieMom Whitney October 3, 2011 at 2:40 am

Excellent round up!

Anonymous October 3, 2011 at 11:06 am

Super Great Roundup! Totally appreciate the price cap too. One of my problems with Etsy is falling in love with things that are just too expensive.

Jill October 4, 2011 at 12:28 am

OMG – those are simply amazing… but I too, can not afford etsy – ever!

lyndsey @ the stationery place October 10, 2011 at 5:34 pm

these are ADORABLE! thanks for spending your friday night pulling this together :) seriously cute stuff — i’d never think to go to etsy for halloween costumes.

Ansley Bleu October 10, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I am the original designer of the knit Leia Hat. I made it back in 2006. You can see my etsy listing here:

Rebekah October 14, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Oh my goodness! I just found this! Thank you soooo much for featuring my Thing 1 and Thing 2 hats <3 <3 <3

bhbkidstyle September 15, 2012 at 10:37 am

WOW! Thank you so much for featuring my fox mask and tail set!

Masks are great to make an effective but cheap costume. You only need a pair of pants and a top in the matching color of the mask/theme and your costume is done.

Jill @ A Mom With A Lesson Plan September 16, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I love the Fred and Wilma costume! I wish I had some say over what my kids wear. My Little M will probably decide from her array of dress up clothes on Halloween night.

make money from home September 5, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Here are the top ways that the assistant can help customers find you right when they need you:.

She has successfully managed hundreds of company and product launches and public relations campaigns,
beginning with the first digital network
launch, the first commercial wireless phone and the first wireless data applications.
The major challenge of SEO is that there are billions of pages in the search engine indexes and your position in the SERPS is dependent on a constantly changing algorithm which is not published.

best moving and storage naples fl September 8, 2014 at 1:14 am

Call a local community college and make an appointment with an advisor,
find out if you qualify for financial aid, talk to them about
career options. ” The easy answer to that difficult and (often) emotionally charged issue is that you need to determine how much stuff you will really need to take along to your new home. The expense apart from covering the vehicle also involves in spending for the moving boxes.

laser hair growth treatment side effects September 9, 2014 at 2:02 am

This herbal solution will help you achieve picture
perfect hair once more. Eventually this can cause hair thinning or patches of bald spots.
However, pulling on a scab that was adherent to the skin usually dislodged the graft – often several days after pulling on a hair was safe.

facial plastic surgeon maryland September 10, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Kim Kardashian certainly isn’t the first celebrity to get some work done, but the ‘Keeping Up with the
Kardashians’ episode did prompt a plastic surgeon,
Dr. She left the doctors at the second hospital mystified as
well. Often fine dining and jewelry discounts are offered.