Did you know a dollar can be exciting? So much of life is how you look at it and how you live it.
I parent my kids under the rule that you can always let the reigns out a bit, but it’s a lot harder to take them in. For example, sometimes we will visit the candy store in the mall. You know with the big bins of sugar in every color of the rainbow? I let them pick three pieces each and it’s exciting.
Each choice is thought out. If I started off letting them get a half pound of candy and then decided it was too much and they really needed just a few pieces, I’d be hearing some complaints. So, I guess my point is…start small. You can always add more.
When we were in Montana this summer with all the cousins, we decided to take them to the Three Mile Store. It’s an old trading post, turned into a convenience store that’s been around since I was a kid and many years before that.
I used to love riding my bike there with my sister and spending my allowance on candy. We took all the cousins and they each got a dollar.
Instead of bombarding the tiny store with 15 kids that are ready for a sugar rush, we let them in a few at time. The excitement built and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their candy and pooling their money for drinks.
It’s a simple pleasure and reminded me of how little things can be so much fun. Like a dollar.
Thanks so much to Kristin for such a lovely reminder that it really is the little things that matter. Aren’t her photos gorgeous? I’d love to know, does your family have any simple rituals you cherish?
P.S. Looking for more ways to simplify and save time so you can connect with your family? Follow these 3 steps:
1) Check out our "Save Your Spring" bundle: over 50 pages of 2015 daily/weekly/monthly planners, cleaning schedules, meal planners, kids’ routine charts, budgeting sheets and much more PLUS 84 pages of kid activities perfect for spring break!
2) Sign up for our newsletter:
3) Bookmark our famous Gift Guides for the next time you need the perfect kids' gift! (350+ detailed descriptions including age recommendations)
Latest posts by Kristin (see all)
- My Favorite Mother’s Day Gift Idea - April 29, 2015
- The Secret to Gorgeous Plant Pots (The Forever Home Project) - April 20, 2015
- 7 Simple & Sweet Easter Hair Ideas for Girls - March 18, 2015