Would you believe me if I told you I didn’t coordinate Kaley and Kim‘s traveling posts? I swear it’s true. I guess it’s just common knowledge that strapping things down (one way or another) is the way to go if a road trip is in your kiddo’s future. Kim did it with dolls, here’s Kaley’s full coloring DIY…
With summer in full swing, we have been doing a lot of traveling (get more of our tips here). Planes, cars, even buses. And no matter where we are, the thing that keeps my daughter entertained the most is her coloring book and crayons. But after attempting to squeeze my entire body between the airplane seats to find a dropped crayon for the 100th time, I decided there had to be a better way. I needed a travel-friendly coloring station.
Even if you aren’t the DIY type, this is super easy. You only need a few supplies, and about 5 minutes to put this together.
- a half cookie sheet
- crayons / markers / colored pencils
- a notebook / coloring book
- magnetic tape (can be found at any home improvement store)
- super glue
- Cut the magnetic tape into 3/4 inch strips
- Super-glue to your crayons / markers / colored pencils.*
- Super-glue a 2 inch strip of magnetic tape to the back of your notebook / coloring book.*
- Stick everything onto the cookie sheet.
- Give it to your child to enjoy.
*note: Even though the magnetic tape is adhesive, I super-glued it to make sure that little fingers wouldn’t pick it off. Please remember that young children should always be supervised while playing with any toy containing magnets.
They get a nice flat, hard surface to color on, and you won’t spend your time picking up dropped crayons off the floor. Everyone is happy!
Enjoy the rest of your summer travels!
Latest posts by Kaley (see all)
- The Kitchen Experiment Garden: Growing Plants from Food Scraps - April 23, 2013
- Watercolor Eggs: For a More Creative Dyeing Experience - March 18, 2013
- Homemade Learning: Printable Counting Cards - February 18, 2013