Homemade roasted chickpea snacks done 4 ways - such a great way to get some protein!

Healthy Snack: Roasted Chickpeas

Chickpeas are such a great way to sneak fiber into your diet (don’t miss our 10 easy lunch ideas using chickpeas too!)… When it comes to snacks are you a salty person or sweet?  (I’m both – why choose, right?)  Either way, Natalie’s got something for you today.

In her continued quest to live sugar-light, she’s had to get creative with her snacks.  Today she’s got a total of four variations, some salty and some sweet, of her new favorite: roasted chickpeas.  The garlic parmesan are calling my name, or maybe the honey cinnamon.  Hmm…

If you’ve been following my move to a sugar-light lifestyle, (more on that here, here and here) you’ll understand why I’ve been looking for some healthy snack foods. I can handle making main dishes that are free of sugar, but snacks are a different story. It’s just too easy to grab something unhealthy when I’m looking for a snack (granola bars, I’m talking to you!).

In our house, we need snacks that are easy to prepare, easy to grab-and-go and appealing to the kids (a little protein doesn’t hurt either). I’ve been doing a lot of fruit and nut mixes, yogurt, peanut butter and the like but I’m getting a little bored.

That’s why I’m loving these roasted chickpeas. They’ve gotten me out of a snacking rut. You can experiment with lots of different flavors to suit your mood, all while knowing that you’re getting some good protein and fiber to keep you going.

I’ve provided you with a simple master recipe for roasting and four flavor ideas to get you started. The first three are kid-friendly. The last (smoky spice blend) might be too much for some of your little ones. No worries, you can really put any topping on these babies. If you’re out of ideas, think about your favorite snack mix or popcorn flavors to get some inspiration. You’ll be surprised how quickly they disappear!

Roasted Chickpeas (Master Recipe)

Ingredients
  • 2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or about 4 cups cooked chickpeas from dried beans
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • seasonings of your choice (see below for suggestions)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Prepare the beans for roasting by draining and rinsing them, then letting them dry on a towel until most of the excess moisture is absorbed. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Roast the chickpeas in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until the beans are crunchy throughout (just test one- if they are still mostly soft on the inside and there’s no crunch, keep baking).
  3. Immediately (while beans are still hot), toss with olive oil and seasonings. Serve hot or at room temperature. They are best the first day, but can be kept in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Seasoning Suggestions (add more or less if you like, these are just guidelines)
  1. Sesame Soy- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  2. Honey Cinnamon- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, 2 tablespoons honey (you can throw these back in the oven for 10-15 minutes to carmelize if you like)
  3. Garlic Parmesan- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  4. Smoky Spice Blend- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, pinch cayenne (optional)

Get your shopping done early with our Infamous Christmas Toy Gift Guides!

The following two tabs change content below.
Natalie is lover of all things edible and mom to two sweet babies under 3 years old. She shares her favorite from-scratch recipes, techniques and tips for entertaining on her blog, Oven Love.

gina August 3, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Yum! I am so trying these! I bet my kids would love them too!

Natasha SerenityYou August 4, 2012 at 4:34 pm

going to be giving these a try soon

Anonymous August 5, 2012 at 3:02 am

Very interested in viewing Oven Love webpage, BUT I cannot read a thing that is posted between the background color/print and the grey writing.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com August 6, 2012 at 1:01 am

Maybe try another browser. When I view Natalie’ site using Google Chrome there is a white background behind the words (pattern on the side).

jenn August 6, 2012 at 3:17 pm

how would these be best stored and how long would they keep?
can’t wait to try!

Natalie August 17, 2012 at 2:24 pm

best the first day, but they keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days. :)

Rachel March 17, 2014 at 4:33 pm

In the refrigerator or are they ok to be left out?

Mrs. Leming August 16, 2012 at 1:52 am

Same question about how to store them!!

Natalie August 17, 2012 at 2:24 pm

best the first day, but they keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days. :)

Anonymous August 18, 2012 at 2:51 am

these are yummy, but took me longer than an hour to completely dry them out. I agree with Natalie about storing them…best if eaten in the first couple days!

magpie April 25, 2013 at 6:25 pm

What if you put them in the oven to dry out first on low heat. Then jack it up to 375. Roll them around a bit while in the drying stage? Just an thought, haven’t tried it.

elizabeth August 18, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Is the sesame soy version supposed to have soy sauce in it too? They all look yummy!

Erin Schoening August 18, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Any ideas how many calories?

Anonymous August 19, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I’m making some right now, wish you would have warned about how they smoke up the house while they’re cooking!!

Anonymous August 20, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Airtight container room temp or cold storage?

The Healthy Apple September 6, 2012 at 12:00 am

I love roasted chickpeas; I just made them last night and your recipes are great!

Susana I. September 8, 2012 at 7:47 am

Hi, does the seasame soy version have soy in it or is just the name? Is missing in the ingredients but don´t know how much quantity will be good for the recipe. Thanks.

Ryan C. September 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

You can also buy these pre-made from Biena Foods (http://bienafoods.com/). I’ve had them and they’re great! My 4-yo especially loves their Cinnamon Maple flavor.

Lee November 1, 2012 at 1:25 am

Went to your ovenlove webpage and have a hard time reading the whole thing. That
red background plus light printing is really hard on the eyes…

BrynMawrGirl February 18, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I added flaked coconut to the cinnamon ones and it was sooooo good! Thanks for the ideas!

Georgina February 27, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I wanted to add these to a chex mix recipe but someone told me I had to roast these separately and then add them to the mix. There is a pretty large difference in oven temperature but will the taste mingle well with the chex mix if done separately?

Amy March 9, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Just started experimenting with roasted chickpeas–cannot believe I haven’t had these in my life before now!!! Anyone tried the honey cinnamon with a honey substitute such as agave nectar?

Emma March 11, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I’ve just made these and the are delicious! Recipe on my blog. Thank you!

colah March 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I pre heated my oven and went to go make these, but my chickpeas had gone bad (smelly)! I have only had them in the fridge for less than 5 days. I got them dry and then cooked in the crock pot. Next bag I will make hummus and then roast the rest straightaway!

Crystal From Sew Creative Blog April 4, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I pinned these forever ago and had 1/2 a can of leftover chickpeas yesterday so tried making them. They were DELICIOUS! Thank you for a great snack suggestion. :)

John April 6, 2013 at 10:45 am

Thanks, did a taste test with all four flavors, daughter of course liked the sweet one (-; Wife and I liked the garlic cheese. But thanks!

rebecca April 19, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Natalie – you say to store in an air tight container for up to 4 days. do you mean on the counter at room temperature or in the refrigerator?

Thanks!

R

Missy April 23, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Did yours “pop” off of the tray when you baked them?

Dani May 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Mine are popping too! I decided to make just half a cup as a snack. They’re dry beans that I let soak over night. It sounds like I’m making popcorn in my oven. I’m a little nervous.

Emma September 15, 2013 at 7:21 am

Mine are doing the same, I’ve lowered the temp of the over to gas mark 5 and it’s stopped x

Christine June 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I tried this for the first time with dry beans and the outer skin started to come off?!?! Is that supposed to happen? (Sorry but I’m new to cooking dry beans). So if the beans have an outer skin that comes off….does that mean they are already removed from canned beans? Please help me understand?? Thanks!

Kelly August 17, 2013 at 12:46 am

If I’m using dry beans, should I soak them, then bake? or soak them, cook and then bake?

Chelsea September 10, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Made the sesame soy ones yesterday. I was a little bummed that the sesame seeds stuck to the bowl instead of the chickpeas. I added a tiny bit of brown sugar as well to have them be a little sweet.

Tammy January 17, 2014 at 11:27 am

I am thinking this would be really good with edemame!!!

Kira March 11, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Old bay seasoning is amazing on roasted chickpeas AND homemade kale chips :)

Bron April 14, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I’m curious, the instructions say to toss in olive oil AND the seasonings? Is this still necessary for the honey coated ones? And does the olive oil effect the flavour much? and do you toss in olive oil AND THEN coat in the seasoning? Or do you just add the olive oil all in one go with the seasonings??
Am I over thinking this?

susan April 18, 2014 at 10:16 am

Love this. I’m always looking for easy and healthy vegetarian recipes so this is perfect!

Lizzie May 25, 2014 at 3:17 am

I made these yesterday for a memorial day cookout and they are crazy addictive :) I used the smokey spice blend, but I can’t wait to experiment with some different seasonings! I’m a Maryland girl so I am very tempted to make a batch of Old Bay flavored chickpeas :)

kate June 19, 2014 at 7:05 pm

it was good but too crunchy for my 14 month old toddler! maybe bake for less time??

Dorothy June 30, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Healthy food is very important thing for us think about this. In this post is good for us follow.

Chris July 15, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I make them with olive oil, salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning applied prior to roasting and even my 10 month old likes them. It’ll be nice to try out some other flavors I hadn’t thought about.

Leah August 5, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Wow! The Garlic Parmesan chickpeas were delicious! I am super excited to try the Honey Cinnamon ones next, but they all sound amazing. Thank you so much for sharing these!

JDaniel4's Mom August 7, 2014 at 5:07 am

These look really delicious! We will need to try making a few of them.