In her continued quest to live sugar-light, she’s had to get creative with her snacks. Today she’s got a total of four variations, some salty and some sweet, of her new favorite: roasted chickpeas. The garlic parmesan are calling my name, or maybe the honey cinnamon. Hmm…
That’s why I’m loving these roasted chickpeas. They’ve gotten me out of a snacking rut. You can experiment with lots of different flavors to suit your mood, all while knowing that you’re getting some good protein and fiber to keep you going.
- 2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or about 4 cups cooked chickpeas from dried beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- seasonings of your choice (see below for suggestions)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the beans for roasting by draining and rinsing them, then letting them dry on a towel until most of the excess moisture is absorbed. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Roast the chickpeas in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until the beans are crunchy throughout (just test one- if they are still mostly soft on the inside and there’s no crunch, keep baking).
- Immediately (while beans are still hot), toss with olive oil and seasonings. Serve hot or at room temperature. They are best the first day, but can be kept in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Sesame Soy- 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Honey Cinnamon- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, 2 tablespoons honey (you can throw these back in the oven for 10-15 minutes to carmelize if you like)
- Garlic Parmesan- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Smoky Spice Blend- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, pinch cayenne (optional)
P.S. Looking for more ways to simplify and connect with your family?
Latest posts by Natalie (see all)
- Ten Perfect Lunches For the Park - July 8, 2014
- Homemade Nutri-Grain-Style Cereal Bars (with a gluten-free option!) - June 10, 2014
- 30 Minute Dinners- A Weekly Meal Plan For Busy Families - May 20, 2014