high five magazine - excellent high-quality reading for the littles

Our New Favorite Reading Material

Did you guys read Highlights magazine as a kid?  I did and I remember being so excited every time the latest issue arrived in the mail just for me.  A few months ago my dad started sending High Five magazine to C and it is so fun seeing the exact same joy in his face with each new issue.

High Five is Highlights for the younger set (ages 2 – 6) and I have been so impressed with it’s contents each month.  Both C and S love pouring over every page of their very own magazine and each article is impressively engaging and age appropriate. Plus, at less than three dollars an issue, it’s a steal.

Just like in a regular magazine, High Five has regular features that appear in each issue.  There is always some sort of picture search game, a story that introduces a few Spanish words, a tear-out matching game or book, and even a new song with accompanying stretches that are a lot like yoga.  By far, my kids’ favorite section is That’s Silly, a page full of funny characters and happenings.  There is nothing funnier to my littles than Daddy acting astounded when they point out that the pig is flying or the dog is selling movie tickets.

If you’re looking for a fun activity to help fill the warm summer afternoons, I highly recommend getting yourself a subscription.  Along with reading through each issue with you, the kids can also listen along with the full audio edition that’s available online for free.  Plus there’s a parent/teacher guide also available online to help extend the opportunities for learning.

We love our High Five subscription so much that it’s my new go-to birthday party gift and my parent friends love receiving it.  And if you have older kids, don’t forget to check out the original Highlights magazine too.  Do your kids read magazines?  Which are their favorites (and yours)?

POYEL ebook and printablessign up for the newsletter and get a free 6 week meal plan

Palak July 9, 2012 at 4:20 am

I loved highlights as a child! I had no idea they had a publication for the younger set!

Heather @ Life, Gluten Free July 9, 2012 at 4:37 am

We have a HighFive subscription too. We love it!! We also are members of their Puzzle Buzz Club. It’s so much fun. We love their productions. They are high quality and no advertisements! I’m sold :)

Multi-Testing Mommy July 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

We haven’t checked this magazine out yet – we should!

Tiffany Patterson July 9, 2012 at 11:39 am

My grandfather has gotten my 3 1/2 year old daughter a subscription to High Five for the past two years, in fact, she is reading the new issue right now! She gets very excited when it comes in the mail.

shannon @ jozikaroo July 9, 2012 at 11:45 am

My son’s favorite magazine is the tractor and construction vehicle catalog! He loves naming all the trucks (crane, roller, grader). I think he’d really like High Five. Thanks for the recommendation!

Anonymous July 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm

My kiddos also like National Geographic’s Little Kids magazine. I think it’s a bit pricier, but well worth the yearly subscription fee!

Terri Thompson July 9, 2012 at 2:33 pm

We love High Five too! We also have a subscription to National Geographic Little Kids. The girls are always excited to see either one in the mail!

Anonymous July 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm

My 3 1/2 year-old daughter gets High Five too, and absolutely loves it. We now have a very tattered collection, since they’ve seen so much love. I’m also going to try out Zoobooks’ magainze for the younger set – Zootles – which looks interesting as well!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com July 9, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for the comments guys – we’ll definitely be checking out National Geographic Little Kids magazine and Zoobook’s magazine as well as Highlights puzzle books (fun!).