featurednerdychic

What to Wear: Nerdy Mom Chic

Have you guys noticed the nerdy chic look that’s so popular right now?  Actually, it’s been going on for a while so, unless you live in a cave, you probably have (says the woman who finally bought her first pair of skinny jeans about two years after they became cool).  This is one trend I think moms the world over should embrace.  Because what’s not to love about cutting contacts out of the daily routine?

So when the good folks over at Bon Look offered to bring me on as an affiliate and send me a pair of their vintage specs to try out, I said sure.  Their glasses and sunglasses are super stylish but still affordable, love that!  In fact all of their Rx Eyeglasses & Sunglasses are regularly $99 – $119 and with their current sale everything is $70 – $99.

Once I started perusing the site, though, I began to have flashbacks of how much I HATED my glasses as a kid.  So I fired off an email to our resident fashion expert Andrea asking for her thoughts on how to really carry off the look.  Turns out she had the same haunting memories that I did so she put together a really fun inspiration board to show us all how to avoid any trauma this time around.  The best part, she’s picked some mega affordable finds (ranging from $4.88 to $79) to go with these affordable specs …

nbsp;

I was so excited when Steph asked me to do a post on my early-childhood nemesis turned go-to accessory, the spectacle.  As an early adopter, thanks to my terrible vision, I have deemed myself a pioneer of this fashion accessory.  A self-proclaimed pioneer, yes, but I figure the title is the least I deserve after enduring years of torment on the playground for my “coke bottle” glasses.

nbsp;

So now that glasses have gone from totally geek to oh-so chic, and now that you know where to find a great pair, what should you wear with them?  My advice, keep it simple and smart.  Here are a few of my suggestions to pair with your favorite frames.

nbsp;

1. Frames – The most important component of this entire look, I went with Smoking Hot in Caramel.
  2. Blazer - Nothing looks sharper than a chic blazer.  The perfect piece to throw on when feeling a little chill.
  3. Envelope clutch - Give your shoulder a break from your heavy bag and keep it simple with a colorful clutch to carry your neccessities.
  4. White T - An all-time favorite and year-round essential for any look.
  5. Sneakers – A totally cute blast from the past that keeps this look clean and comfy.
  6. Striped Shorts - These shorts are perfect for summer and keeping the look casual yet pulled together.

Thank you Andrea!  In case you guys are wondering which frames I ended up with, I chose Simply Fabulous in brown (pictured up top).  Sadly, my prescription was too strong to get glasses straight from the Bon Look.  No worries though, I ordered them as sunglasses.  If I really love them, I plan to take them to my local optometrist (I’m due for an eye exam anyway) and have some prescription lenses popped in.

What do you guys think of this trend?  Will you be investing in some retro eye wear of your own?

Similar Stuff: More style posts from Andrea

Tansy Dolls June 15, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I love the look. But on others. I do wear glasses and I love them now even though I hated them as a youngster.

Anonymous June 16, 2012 at 12:02 am

An envelope clutch and white anything are completely impractical for a mom. You need your hands free, and you need something that won’t show every stain. Also, any infant or toddler worth their snot will see your glasses as a fun new toy and get fingerprints and drool all over them.
OTHER than that…

Anonymous June 16, 2012 at 5:46 pm

good point anon. mom + white = disaster. And an envelope clutch you are kidding right. For what 1 diaper. Although the models above look great, I don’t like this trend at all. I feel like I am looking back through my mom’s HS yearbook. it is not a timeless trend at all. In a few years people will be saying what was that.

Anonymous June 16, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I’m always a sucker for canvas shoes and blazers…and every now and then at the same time. Fun look!

Anonymous June 16, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I think the nay-sayers are missing 2 points. 1: It’s an “inspiration board”, so it’s not meant for you to copy everything, just to give you some new ideas. If you don’t like something, swap it out for something more “you”. If white’s a no-go, try navy. 2: Outfits are rarely a one-look-fits-all proposition. Mom-wear varies. You wouldn’t wear the same thing to wrestle your kids at the park as you would to a meeting at the school or to go out on a date with the hubs. I certainly wouldn’t wear this on cleaning day, but when I have a more dressy opportunity, it gives me some great ideas for using pieces I already have in a new way for a fun look.

Sarai Brinker June 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I loooooove it!! I have a friend I’m forwarding this to because it will look GREAT on her!! (she wears glasses).
I’m tempted to buy some frames just so I can do this.

Naysayers- eh. Haters gonna hate.

I have an 11 month old and a 2 year old and I wear white T-shirts. Maybe not when we are doing fingerpainting but I’d totally wear white for lots of things, even playing in the park or grocery shopping. It’s kind of a staple. And last night (date night) I took a clutch (although mine was not as cute as the one pictured) and it was AWESOME to not have a diaper bag.

I LOVE these style boards, keep it up and THANK YOU!!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com June 16, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Wow, I never expected controversy over a fashion post! Here’s my 2 cents: I agree that it’s nice even for mom’s to have some diversity in their wardrobes and I think the look is fun.

I’m not a fan of the full blown hipster look but there aren’t any funky hats here, mostly just preppy cuteness. Also, I hate to have to completely rule out anything just because I’m a mom and I think Andrea did a great job of tracking down a white shirt that only costs $4.88! So even if something did get on it, it wouldn’t exactly be a tragedy.