featuredbodypaint7

Play: DIY Body Paint

A few weeks ago C finished up his first year of preschool and they had a little carnival to celebrate. (I’m not even going to talk about the mini panic attack I had at the realization that my baby will be heading off to real school in a couple of years – nope, not gonna talk about it.)

Anyway, a few of C’s beloved teachers offered up their face painting skills at the festivities and I asked the kids if they’d like something painted on.  At the time they only had eyes for the bouncy house… but as soon as we got home the story changed.  “Mommy, we wanted pictures on our faces.  Please?”

Isn’t that always the way? Fortunately, I remember seeing this recipe for all natural face paint on Pinterest.  A little cornstarch, milk, water, and food coloring and we were in business.

The stuff went on pretty runny but it dried quite nicely.

Everything started out nice and tame, but I could see where we were headed.  I decided to embrace this as full-blown sensory play and mentally scheduled bath time to immediately follow art time.

You can see above what the paint looks like when dry.  You can also see a mischievous glint in C’s eyes.

Yep, it was right about then he decided he had to taste the “paint”.  It was inevitable.  No problem. That’s the beauty of edible paint, lots of fun and no harm done!

Similar Stuff:
We Tried It! – Edible Finger Paints
We Tried It! – Magic Milk Paints
We Tried It! – Making Tracks with Tape

Tansy Dolls June 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Perfect! I have a little one who is forever drawing and painting on herself. I’ll have to try this one!

Mommanowwhat? June 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I love this idea! Would be perfect for a 4th of July party we are hosting this year!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com June 19, 2012 at 12:41 am

Love the idea of doing this at a party!

Liveseygirl June 18, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Looks like great fun

Die, Food Dye! June 19, 2012 at 4:10 pm

This is a great post, for any time of year and any special occasion. I love “natural” face paints because our daughter reacts to food coloring. I would call this recipe “homemade” but not “all natural”, because the food coloring is synthetic petroleum. It can be hard to find an all natural face paint recipe. But luckily, parents can find pre-made face paints by Elegant Minerals, Terra Firma, and Luna Organics. You can find naturally-derived food coloring to use in crafts, foods, drinks, and cakes online from Chocolate Craft, Seelect, Maggie’s Naturals, ChefMaster (they have some natural lines of products), and India Tree (their “Nature’s Colors” line of products).
~Rebecca

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com June 19, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for making this point. You are correct, this is not an “all natural” recipe. In my head I was thinking about the fact that this paint would be safe if it was ingested. What I should have said was something like “edible”. Thanks for pointing out the options for all natural face paints and naturally-derived food coloring for our readers!

Best,

Steph

Twisted Cinderella June 19, 2012 at 8:25 pm

What a fun idea!

Debbye November 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I love this idea! Bookmarked!!