featuredyarnbombing1

Yarn Bombing!

Have you ever had a day you weren’t really looking forward to, for one reason or another, but actually turned out to be really great?  That’s exactly what happened to me a few Fridays ago.  We had C’s dental appointment and I decided to bring S along so she could get the feel of the place for when her turn arrives.

The idea of trying to keep her still while making sure he was relaxed was already worrying me a bit that morning.  To add to what could have been an awful series events, upon arriving for the appointment the receptionist kindly informed me that I was an entire hour early (long story short – my iPhone had been doing this crazy thing where only my calendar somehow got switched to mountain time).

Obviously this all could have gone very wrong very quickly.  Instead, someone was smiling down on me that day.  The staff kindly got us in early, both C and S were total rock stars, and – the cherry on top of it all – on the way home I spotted an honest to God yarn bombing.
I honestly couldn’t believe it at first.  Being a regular around the blogoshpere means I’m quite familiar with the concept of yarn bombing, in theory, but I never really expected to see it in all it’s glory in real life.  I have no idea who was responsible for this particular bombing but rumor has it that it’s all the work of only one amazing woman.
Upon seeing the 20 – 30 brightly adorned trees, I immediately headed home to grab my camera.  On the way I promised the kids a special surprise as reward for their exemplary dental office behavior.  I think they were hoping for a park outing – they had no idea what they were in for.
This is them about 30 seconds after entering the park, running around the happy trees absolutely giddy.  It was the only appropriate response, the sight of all that knitting called for an instant celebration.

The variation was really something to behold.  Along with lots of stripes, there were trunks wrapped in patch worked pieces and even some fuzzy balls.

And just when the magic was finally starting to wear off, the kids spotted something else to get their hearts racing.  Three guesses as to what it was…

A playground!  Nestled right in amongst the magic.

It was a nice one too, complete with two sets of slides, swings, and a huge sand box.

And of course the trees were there all the while in the background.

All and all we spent about three hours hanging out and this was the face I got when I told C it was finally time to return home.  To be honest, I kinda felt the same way.  I love that we’ll always have that day to remember (and the photos to prove it).

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus May 16, 2012 at 5:42 am

Oh WOW – I’ve never seen a yarn bomb either but the one you found is beautiful!! The kids must have thought it was so magical.

Trish White May 16, 2012 at 6:00 am

I love this! Where were you in Seattle? And what park is this? My girls would love this! Thanks and I hope you have been enjoying this beautiful weather and had wonderful Mother’s Day!

Nataliya Khan May 16, 2012 at 6:24 am

I’ve been to this park a couple times with my daughter and always wondered about the trees and why had they been decorated the way they were. Even though I just loved how happy they looked. Surprisingly had never heard about yarn bombing, thank you for sharing. All makes sense now!

zzipper May 16, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I go out of my way to drive past this park when running errands.. makes me smile whenever I see it!

Darcy May 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm

this is awesome! thanks so much for sharing! i’m jealous!

Ginger May 16, 2012 at 8:01 pm

That is amazing! What a sight to see.

Partycraft Secrets May 17, 2012 at 12:52 am

‘happy’ is a perfect way to describe these tress and everyone who must see them – amazing! x

Diapers-n-Heels May 17, 2012 at 5:25 pm

That is absolutely amazing. I would be beside myself it I had seen this!

Anonymous May 17, 2012 at 8:05 pm

That’s been there at Anderson park for quiet a few months now. Still looking as amazing as when it installed. -YL

Satoko May 18, 2012 at 1:04 am

Amazing! I must do this in my town…

Anne Made May 18, 2012 at 5:25 am

I believe this is the work of the same woman who did the trees up on the plateau. They changed every season. I love the ones at Anderson park though. So colorful!

Emily @ Peck Life May 22, 2012 at 12:08 am

Have I really been reading your blog forever and not realized you are in the Seattle area? This looks like Anderson park to meeeee and I just shot some pictures not too long ago (http://www.pecklife.com/blog/2012/04/artificial-light.html). AHH, we should meet up sometime!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com May 23, 2012 at 6:34 am

Yes! Checked out your post – thanks for the info. on the amazing artist. Always fun to “meet” a local blogger :).

Zakka Life May 26, 2012 at 3:26 am

That’s one amazing yarn bombing! The best I’ve ever seen are a couple street signs covered. Great pics too.