featuredsummeressentials

What to Wear: Building Your Modern Mom Wardrobe

I have a confession to make, I’ve sort of (OK I’ve really) let myself go in the fashion department since having kids.  At first it was because of the post-baby bod… then it was because of my need for everything to be breastfeeding-friendly… when that was done I was pregnant again and the cycle started all over.

But no more, I’m finally excited about getting my cute back!  The problem is I still don’t know exactly what to wear.  So I’ve enlisted the help of MPMK’s newest contributor and freelance stylist Andrea to help me (and you!) find it.  A former Manhattanite who worked for Micheal Kors, Andrea has some serious fashion chops and she’ll be popping in periodically to help us build our wardrobes with pieces that are versatile and comfortable but aren’t crazy expensive – the mommy trifecta.

On that note, are you guys familiar with shopbop?  It’s pretty much the place to go for all things fashion online. Window shopping there can be extremely addicting and actual shopping has the potential to be pretty expensive. Fortunately, they’re having a rare site-wide 20% off sale running through Wednesday so I’ve asked Andrea to put together a summer essentials guide using their stuff. These are the foundation pieces worth spending a little more on, especially when they’re on sale. Here’s Andrea with the goods…

Looking to update your closet with the hottest summer essentials?  Well, you’re in luck because our friends over at shopbop are offering 20% off your entire purchase now through Wednesday.  Simply enter the code BIGEVENT at checkout.

Need some inspiration before you shop? Check out our 6 summer essentials here at MPMK.

Happy Shopping!
  1. Aviator Sunglasses – The go-to-summer accessory.  Need we say more?
  2. Statement Jewelry – Quickly add a pop of color and spruce up any outfit with this brilliant necklace from Dara Ettinger.
  3. Comfy Shirt (a good alternative to the splurge pictured above) – Comfort is key and stylish with a light linen sweater.
  4. A Great Bag – This perfectly classic canvas tote by Foley + Corrina will be by your side for years to come.
  5. Colored Jeans – In case you haven’t noticed, colored pants are all the rage this season.  So, go ahead, get some color on those legs!
  6. Animal Print – Too shy to give this print a try? Opt for these subtle (and fun) sandals from Sam Edelman.

Get your shopping done early with our Infamous Christmas Toy Gift Guides!

Rae May 22, 2012 at 5:29 am

Any suggestions on a decent way to rock the colored jeans when your lower half is more liability than asset?

Missa May 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Its all about the fabric. If you choose a thicker denim, it will hide a multitude of flaws :) A lot of these pants are ridiculously flimsy. I tried on a pair at Gap that were so thin you could practically make out each leg hair.

Andrea - MPMK Contributor May 22, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Hi Rae!

Great question and I have a few simple suggestions for you to still rock this look …

- Go for a darker colored jean and opt for a wider leg vs. tapered.
- Draw focus to the upper half of your body with attention grabbing jewelry or a great printed tunic.
- Keep your top at hip length to help minimize the bottom half.

Take care,
Andrea

Sarah May 22, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m 100% in the same boat! It’s time to get my cute on. This look is beautiful and perfectly practical if you live in a place with reasonable for summer temperatures. What about us mommies who live in the South, where the mercury threatens to burst the thermometer by noon each day in June, July, and August?

Andrea - MPMK Contributor May 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Hi Sarah!

For you lovely ladies in the South (and all those in warmer climates!), I would suggest adjusting this look with a colored short and short sleeved top. If you can’t commit to the short (I know they can be a bit intimidating – myself included) try a colored maxi skirt to keep you cool. As you know, fabric is key to surviving those hot summer days, so stay comfortable in lighter fabrics like cotton and linen.

Take care,
Andrea

Unknown May 22, 2012 at 1:22 pm

love everything about this ensemble! Andrea – care to pop over to my house and style this tired momma each morning?! looking forward to more wardrobe inspirations!!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com May 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Thanks for your comments/questions ladies. While MPMK is definitely not becoming a fashion blog by any means, it’s fun to focus on ourselves every once in a while! I’ll ask Andrea to stop by and address you quandaries.

Best,

Steph

Anonymous May 23, 2012 at 6:28 am

Hi Steph- Love this post! Right up my alley. But thought you’d like to know that the Shopbop link in the 3rd paragraph is broken…

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com May 23, 2012 at 6:29 am

Ha! It goes to “shop bob” – definitely not the spot for fashion finds. Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous May 24, 2012 at 6:04 am

Totally loved this post!! Looking forward to seeing more “mom style tips” in the future!