Tons of ideas for decluttering the kitchen

POYEL: Decluttering the Kitchen

Time for a POYEL check-in.  Hopefully you’re settling into a cleaning routine and you’re saving some time each week on meal planning.  I’ve heard from lots of you via comments, facebook and email and it sounds like some serious progress is being made.  So what’s next?  I’m thinking decluttering.  I figure the extra time is the perfect opportunity to start incorporating this into our lives.  And if you allocated a spot for decluttering in your weekly schedule then you’re already ahead of the game.  If not, no worries, as with all other aspects of POYEL – we’re going to keep this nice and flexible.

Here’s how I’m going to approach this phase.  Ever so often (I’m playing with the idea of about once every two weeks) I’ll put up an inspiration post like this in which I’ll highlight a lovely little project (most likely a Pinterest find) and tell you what I’m tackling at my house.  Then I’ll invite you to share what you’re wrangling with.

Don’t feel like you have to address the same spot in your house as I’m highlighting.  I know we won’t all have the same priority spots in our homes and I’m assuming just having a semi-regular reminder to go organize something will be a good start.  Also, feel free to share whatever motivates you – your own projects, before and afters, or other inspiring finds from around the web.  I’m hoping getting the chance to share your progress here on the world wide web might give everyone a little extra motivation to dive in.  Speaking of diving in – ready for week one?  Click through for the goods.

If you’re wondering what my reasoning was for starting with the kitchen, let me just stop you right there.  Planning and reasoning of any kind were not involved in this decision.  I simply opened my lazy-susan the other day and decided I couldn’t handle the mayhem for another minute.  I know what you’re thinking, “How can a lazy-susan get that bad? Isn’t the very nature of the thing to keep the cabinet organized?”.

Believe me when I tell you, through a careful combination of neglect and over-stuffing I managed to completely corrupt mine.So, in an organizational fit, I took everything out, wiped down the inside, got rid of all expired or nearly empty containers, and neatly filed everything back in.  The whole thing took about 20 minutes  (with kids darting in and out of the kitchen) and I didn’t take an “after” picture because, honestly, photos of lazy-susans just aren’t that exciting.

Instead, I’m choosing to feature this lovely little pantry re-do via Magnolia Lane.  There’s definitely some stylized craziness going on here (why yes, I do color code my cereal boxes – don’t you?) but there are also a few very clever features.  Most obvious is the use of chalkboard paint to convert the inside of the cabinets into a place for menus and grocery lists.  Add a magnetic primer and you could have a spot for my chore chart that doesn’t have to be out in the open.  Also, you can use the left over supplies to whip up one of yesterday’s DIY Leprechaun Traps – just saying.

The second thing here that I really loved was that chip rack.  Did you spot it there in the bottom right corner?  It’s not as precocious as the chalkboard but it would definitely be the headliner at my house.  My kids love Annie’s bunny crackers and what we call “fruit crushers” to snack on.  Currently they have to rummage through a big box to get to them, which can be kind of frustrating.  They would think something like this was amazing (one of my son’s new favorite words).

Now it’s your turn!  Share with me in the comments what you’re working on or inspired by.  Can’t wait to see how it’s going…

This post is part of MPMK’s “Project Organize Your ENTIRE Life”. You can read all about it here, check out all of our projects here, and join thousands of POYEL facebook group members here.

Anonymous March 7, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Love your blog and the project. What do you think about a maintenance plan in all of this? I am on track but no matter what system I put in place I end up falling off it for some crazy life event and need a plan to get back on track. What do you think? Maybe a weekly check in? Backup plan for when life gets beyond crazy?

Elizabeth March 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm

This is exactly the post I needed to read this morning! I woke up this morning and had already planned on getting my clean on. My kitchen has been on my decluttering list for some time now. Today is the DAY! I will take pictures and do a blog post and then link up tonight or tomorrow!

Thank you for the inspiration to get going!

Warmly,

Elizabeth

Megan B March 7, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I’m right there with Elizabeth! Just this morning I realized I needed to do some serious editing in our bathroom closet. I’m headed there now. Thanks for the motivation!
Megan

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com March 7, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Yay – hoping to see your progress soon! I’m seriously coveting that organized fridge above ;).

Anonymous March 7, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Inside of one of our cabinet doors growing up, my mother always kept a diagram showing how a table should be set – very handy, and I can always close my eyes and see it to this day! Love your blog – keep the goodness coming!
-Lindsay

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com March 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm

What a good idea. And I love that you can still see it in your head today – such a good reminder of how much impact we have on our kids :).

Jeanne March 8, 2012 at 12:07 am

I was just last night complaining to Hubby that the pantry cabinets have gone to heck-in-a-handbasket since I broke my foot. He’s a foot taller than me, so things he deems “unimportant” end up in the very back and/or very top of the cabinets. Things like the box of cornbread mix I needed for my recipe!
My pantry remodel will include a “this week’s meals” space so no one eats the can of pineapple or breaks into the French fried onions I need for tomorrow’s meal. :) I love the chalkboard idea~ if I can convince Hubby it won’t ruin the cabinets I am SO in! And baskets/bins will be put in use so that I can easily get to the stuff in the back.
Thanks so much for the motivation!

Tanya Isaak March 13, 2012 at 1:36 am

You can get chalkboard panels that stick to the wall – they might be a good alternative to painting cabinets…

jen @ jkjk March 8, 2012 at 3:57 am

So I’m a brand new reader, love your blog btw, and I just decided yesterday that I needed to organize my pantry. We’re totally on the same wavelength. My whole pantry is sitting on my kitchen counter as I type. That’s as far as I’ve gotten. I love the idea of the chalkboard inside the pantry. So cute.

Sarah March 8, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Just discovered your blog and I’m already loving it! Thank you for POYEL, it’s going to be especially helpful as I get ready for our move back to the states!

Amanda March 9, 2012 at 5:05 am

Oh, YES, decluttering is definitely the next step! I’ve already decided to have yard sale next weekend (St. Patty’s Day). But I really need to start in the kitchen this weekend. How did you get so smart?! Loving this POYEL project!!

bullsdiva1 March 9, 2012 at 9:03 am

How do you get your hubby or other family members to keep the areas in tact? I’m sure this is a million dollar question. But whenever I get on a decluttering kick, mine manages to fill valuable counter space or other real estate up with crap. I get tired of saying how important it is to me and asking nicely. After a few tries, I tend to give up until the clutter gets to me again. Such a vicious cycle.

Crystal Claire March 11, 2012 at 8:46 am

I just discovered this blog today and, though I don’t have kids, my boyfriend (of 4 yrs, 3 living together) and I have a cat. Now that spring is here, it’s time to clean, refresh, and organize the apartment. I really lack storage space so organization is key!

I totally feel you Bullsdiva, my man claims he “doesn’t see” the same mess/clutter I see lol and I am beyond tired of asking nicely!

Jenn Lifford March 12, 2012 at 12:42 am

I just found your blog via Pinterest and I LOVE it! I am super excited to follow this series. I actually did my kitchen last year and it has stayed relatively organized since then but I am really looking forward to the rest of your posts. Linked up some of my projects.
Jenn :)

Jenny March 19, 2012 at 12:17 am

One of my favorite pantry moves was recycling the cereal boxes and just keeping the inner bags. They are all in a low drawer where the kids can see all the kinds at a glance and it’s easy to notice which ones are low.

Kimberly Sutor April 13, 2012 at 6:34 pm

We just bought a 2nd house, and it just hit me this morning that if I’m going to be spending less time at one house and setting up house in the other, well…I’m gonna have to get serious about organizing & planning! Can’t wait to get started with you. I added the button to my blog so my readers can have extra resources via your site. Thanks for the ‘bump.’

beyondbaffled April 17, 2012 at 2:00 am

I stumbled upon your blog through pinterest as well. I love the idea of the potato chip rack, but it looks like it takes up alot of valuable cabinet space. I’m going to search online for something similar that could maybe be hung on the inside of the cabinet door. Anything to help get organized!

SeibertLA April 27, 2012 at 4:55 am

Try a small rod mounted inside cabinet with curtain “hooks”. I found circles with small clips attached designed to hang curtains with in the window hardware section of a local retailer yesterday.

corner pantry May 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm

hi, first time visiting ur blog, and fell in love with it straight away.

Good Value Shopping May 23, 2012 at 6:26 am

Hello, it is my first time here as well and OMG how I don’t know where to start with.
We have so much at our home, too many clothes, to much things everywhere.
Where do I start? Everyday I think I will try to clean up the Kitchen I don’t need that dish at the back of my cabinet that I have never use.
I will go through your blog and I am sure will get help! Thanks for all your tips.

Sylvia May 27, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I have always lived in small spaces. My first apartment I had all to myself was only 244 sq feet. This one is 340 sq feet. I recently read “Soulspace” and found it was an approach to purging I have always believerd in. I am up to 5 1/2 boxes of stuff removed from my home, and now I plan on doing a deep-clean purge.
I love that I now have a community of like-minded individuals to help me along!

Anonymous May 28, 2012 at 10:42 am

One thing that’s been a live changer for me: Once a week I fill the Kids’ Grab-it Snack Basket. Snack bags with portion sizes of things like raisins and cereal, granola mixes, kale chips, other chips from a more economical larger bag, crackers, dried fruit slices. The main criteria for the Snack Basket is not too messy (‘cuz it’s usually eaten in the car) and food won’t go bad in 2+ weeks. Then these snacks are ONLY for on the go. i.e. not used at lunch, dinner, at home. Much more economical than buying individually wrapped and less-healthy stuff.

Good Value Shopping June 3, 2012 at 8:26 am

I made it, I have a very organised Pantry now and looks beautiful. I have used the chalk wall sticker and it is not the best I think painting it would have a better result as the sticker is not that sticky but I am very happy with it. wish I could post the picture here for you to see.