What's your cleaning personality?

Weekly Cleaning Schedule Pop Quiz

After the mountain of feedback I received on Organize Your ENTIRE Life: Weekly Schedules (thanks for that by the way), it quickly became apparent that cleaning is, indeed, a beast in and of itself.  In order to create a kick-ass weekly schedule, we’re going to have to start with the toilets, I’m afraid.  (Actually, we’d be fine starting with everything else and then working in the cleaning, but my house is a mess – something really must be done before the children lose all their friends – and I’m the one at the keyboard.  So we’re starting with cleaning).

As I sat on the couch the other night, combing over all the info. you guys have shared on the topic, I realized there are essentially two camps when it comes to cleaning schedules: those that crave structure and those that need a little more flexibility.  As luck would have it, Modern Family happened to be playing in the background of my little ephiphany and the following Cosmo-esque pop quiz was born.  I realize that most of you already know what your results will be, just humor me here, I’m determined to find a way to make organizing more fun even if it takes calling forth the 14 year old girl in all of us.

So here’s your homework for today: take the following mini quiz and identify your cleaning schedule persona.  For extra credit take a look at the links at the end that correspond to your results.  (If you don’t get to this, no worries, I’ll be providing them again as we move forward).  Ready?  Go.

The Quiz

photo via {dot}{dot}{dot}

Question 1: If you woke up this morning and found a “Monday = Laundry Day” type chart stuck on your fridge you would:

a) cry a little – you’re sure the monotony of it all will slowly crush your soul.

b) do a happy dance in your kitchen – there’s finally going to be some order around here.

c) break out the glue sticks and glitter – if that thing’s staying there then it better look cool.

photo via Young House Love

Question 2: Your children’s toys are slowly taking over the entire house.  In a perfect world, you address the problem by:

a) hitting up IKEA and returning home with a 25 cube EXPEDIT bookshelf and several open storage bins.

b) also buying an IKEA bookshelf and storage bins but you adorn each bin with a label of what goes inside spelled out in both written words and pictures (for the toddler).  You also spend 45 minutes trying to decide between organizing said bins alphabetically or in order of which toys are played with most from highest to lowest on the bookshelf.

c) buying an IKEA 25 cube EXPEDIT bookshelf and using 10 of the cubes for toy storage while turning the rest into a play kitchen/puppet theater with the help of IKEA Hackers.

photo via whatever

Question 3: Next week is spring break and the kids will be home all week, ideally you would:

a) text your friend to see if she and her brood want to hit up that new indoor trampoline gym, drag the art easel and supplies out of the garage, and make a mental note (which you may or may not actually follow through on) to wash the sheets so they’ll be available for fort making.

b) scour Pinterest, red tricycle, and local publications to create a detailed list of activities and outings you’ll embark on each day.  Then make a list of needed craft supplies and head to Micheal’s with your member’s-only 50% off coupon in hand.

c) Bee-line for the chalkboard wall in the playroom and create a pretty template for a “Spring Break Bucket List”.  Then hand the chalk over to the kids to fill in the list while you return to pondering which DIY technique will best freshen up those tired living room curtains – ombre or chevron?

That’s it!  I could go on but I’d just be amusing myself and I think you get the drift.  Click through for your results and some resources.

The Results
Tally up your answers (all three of them) and see which letter you chose the most.  If you…

Answered mostly A: Howdy Phil.  Good hearted guy that you are, you want only the best for your family and you’re willing to put in some hard work to get it for them (and there’s no doubt Phil works hard for his family, have you seen the house he has working as a real estate agent in this market?)  You consider yourself too much fun to be tied down by rigid rules and schedules, “I’m the cool dad.  That’s my thang.”  But your well-meaning exuberance could use a little direction.

You need specific objectives you can enthusiastically attack but also require some flexibility to accomplish your goals in your own special time and way.

You Should Read: IHeart Organizing

Answered mostly B: Nice to see you Claire.  At first glance it might not be obvious due to the rowdy kids bent on destroying your house, but deep down you are an organizational ninja just waiting to be unleashed.  Give you a detailed, step-by-step, family manual and you’re sure to have your clan whipped into shape in no time.

You need an exquisitely detailed and color-coated schedule to proudly hang on the wall and faithfully adhere to.

Have a look at:  Just Mommies Home Organization Plan

Answered mostly C: HELLLO, Cam!  This whole schedule thingy will lead to a more fabulous home right?  Then you’re totally in.  You were actually following this blog before all the organizational hoopla started and you check back regularly just to see what will be the next paint chip Easter garland… if that happens to be something that will bring a little order to your world – then so be it.

If you’re gonna stick to a schedule it’s gotta be a few things: fun to make, fun to use, and fun to look at.

Have a look at: Sadly, I haven’t found many DIY weekly schedules to get excited over.  There are some cute retail options here and here and this printable from my inspiration board is lovely, but overall I’m underwhelmed… which is my not-so-subtle way of hinting that you should keep your eyes out for a DIY right here in the very near future.

I hope today’s little experiment/momentary distraction from the daily grind has you excited to continue on our journey together.  I’ll be back soon with action plans for the Phil, Claire, and Cam in all of us.  Until then, leave a comment letting me know who you turned out to be and I’ll post on the most popular pick first!

This post is part of MPMK’s “Project Organize Your ENTIRE Life”. You can read all about it here, check out all of our projects here, and join thousands of POYEL facebook group members here.

glimmersnaps February 20, 2012 at 5:42 am

Too cute! I was totally a Cam :)

I’ve been thinking about this and I’m working on something like a chore/reminder/activity sheet for each day of the week. I want to make it customizable because everyone needs something different. I’m also working on one or two (hundred) other things, so we will see when I get it done!

Keep the inspiration coming!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 20, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I’m working on one too – I’ll show you mine if you show me yours ;)

glimmersnaps February 20, 2012 at 10:55 pm

deal :)

Jenny February 20, 2012 at 5:46 am

Yay! This was fun! I got mostly a’s but I think I am a mix depending on my mood- which is probably true for most :) Thanks for the “14 year old girl” flashback!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 20, 2012 at 5:21 pm

anytime

Lyndsey February 20, 2012 at 5:55 am

So I am totally a “Phil” person. After completing the quiz and reading your explanation I realized you said I should check out “I heart organizing,” which is the blog I suggested on your first “Organize My Life…” post! No doubt this is where I belong, I want the organization but need some flexibility!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 20, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Its a great site – lots of good info. in a very pretty package

Julie February 20, 2012 at 6:35 am

Cam. I always hope I’ll be a Claire, but I need the flexibility of a Phil; and I’d really rather just make it look pretty.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm

You just described me to a T! I’m 50% Phil, 25% Cam and 25% Claire.

Rae February 20, 2012 at 6:41 am

Totally a cam…but my husband and I had already had that conversation. :)

Anonymous February 20, 2012 at 7:06 am

I’m a Claire! Although sometimes what holds me back from being better organized is feeling overwhelmed with where to start…loving the inspiration here, thanks! :)

-Maureen

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 20, 2012 at 5:22 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Rachel Cotterill February 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

I got 2 Bs and an A… which I think translates as “would love to be super-organised if only I had time”

And I can’t believe that first planner has vacuuming three days a week!!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 20, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Ha! I thought the exact same thing.

Beckie G February 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Totally Cam… But I say that about myself every time I watch the show!

Anyway, the one and only chore chart that works for me is a simple excel spreadsheet. The chores I have to do in a week are listed on the side and then I have rows of boxes to color in when I complete them. The goal is to get them all done in a week, so some days I will do 5 things, some days I will do 2. But I (try to) get them all done in a week. It is also nice to see the reminder of what I have accomplished up on my fridge, It gives me an ego boost to do more.

…And it’s color coded. …And it could totally use some glitter…

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Sounds fab :).

Lindsay Satchell February 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I’m a Phil… I always need flexibility or the walls start to close in on me. I DO love organizing and have already printed off several items (and laminated them!) from I Heart Organizing. Thanks!!

Gabbie February 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I didn’t even need the quiz the fact that I have shown up to other people’s homes with my label maker proves i’m a claire.

but sadly this is an area where I fall all to pieces my home is mostly organized (or continually being organized) but my Time is a hot mess

Jess February 21, 2012 at 1:09 am

Label makers are my favorite toy!

Gabbie February 27, 2012 at 2:15 am

Label freaks of the world UNITE!

Stephanie February 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Okay, PROBLEM. My answers were C, B, A. In that order. What does this mean?! LOL. I’m starting to worry that there’s just no hope for me. Here’s the deal: I love organizing. Love it, love it, love it. I love making plans and lists and charts and then decorating them and posting them all over the place. I love labeling and filing things. THEN, I absolutely hate following through with any of it. I’m a great planner and a terrible do-er. What does this mean? I hope I find something that will work for me. Seriously, I think my big problem is simple laziness. Lol.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 20, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I’m the same way (maybe it’s a Stephanie thing?). I’m hoping if I make something that’s fun to use in addition to being fun to make, maybe I’ll actually use it? Stay tuned for that.

melanie June 4, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Me too… C,B,A. I totally make the plans, lists, and charts and then I don’t follow through. I found that the thing that works best for me is to reward myself if I keep at it each week/month… Maybe add to my fabric stash, or get that lamp I’ve been wanting.

Sarah Payne February 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Hello, “Phil”! Nice to put a name to you! LOL! I LOVE that the “you should read” is iheartorganization. I have already checked it out this past week and fell in love! I ordered the binder for my family. I check my email regularly throughout the day waiting for it to “arrive”. Keep up the GREAT work! Thank you!

Shereen February 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Yeah, I had one of each letter! Not sure what that means. If I had to pick just based on the descriptions, I’d say I’m Phil. I like organization and I need help!

Annie February 20, 2012 at 3:36 pm

You are fun! I definitely relate to Claire. I’ll be with you all the way!

GirlHouse February 20, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I’m totally a Clair. I love to organize and label. I have a blast doing other peoples homes/closets/pantries, but can’t seem to find a system that works for me and my home.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 20, 2012 at 5:27 pm

You wouldn’t happen to be in the market for a new friend would you?

Cecilia February 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm

This IS fun! I am totally a Phil.

royann February 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I am mostly Phil, with a dash of Claire, though I’d really love to be Cam. Great quiz.

Jen E @ mommablogsalot February 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm

In the ideal world, I’d appear to be a Claire, but sometimes laziness and life says I’m Phil.

Marissa February 20, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I think in reality I’m a Phil, I really want to be a Claire. :)

Courtney February 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I am definatley Phil but I would like to be more like Claire! Help me become Claire. Please give me the magic solution.

Amanda Jillian February 21, 2012 at 12:35 am

Cam =]

Jess February 21, 2012 at 1:05 am

Is it weird that I am Phil, but I would like to be more like a Claire?

The Learner February 21, 2012 at 2:55 am

Definitely a Claire :)

Jana Burrow February 21, 2012 at 3:08 am

I’m a Phil, but of course I had to check out the suggestions for the other two just in case. I still came back to I Heart Organizing and her checklist. Unfortunately, I got hooked on the idea and she isn’t selling that printable or giving it away for free currently. Or maybe I can’t seem to find it. I commented asking her about it, but that post is from 2010. I’m wondering if anyone has seen anything similar to her checklist or knows how to make one?

Stacie February 21, 2012 at 7:14 pm

that’s funny, I answered on of each. hope that doesn’t mean multiple personality disorder. ;)

Stacie February 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Autumn February 21, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I am totally a Phil and could care less if things are pretty which leads to some trouble when trying to take nice pictures for a blog! I might argue that I Heart Organizing would fit under Cam since she always makes everything look adorable but I have never seen the show so I could be totally off.

I love buttons btw and just added the Project Organize one to my post inspired by the series!

Megan February 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I’m a cross between Claire and Cam but I wish I was better at sticking to my schedule. You can see what I do here http://www.cheeseandwhiskers.com/2012/02/how-i-keep-my-home-clean-enough-and-free-printable/.
And get a free printable too!

NewLeaf February 24, 2012 at 12:06 am

Umm. I chose one of each. Maybe that’s why I can’t get anything done.

Lee Ann February 24, 2012 at 8:56 am

I’m a full on Cam! I want to be a Claire so badly, but have trouble making it happen. Help us!!!

Leigh March 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I’m mostly Cam (more fun than work pls!) but also Claire (a lazy version tho, more plans than action!). I’m doing the 52 week Organized Home Challenge http://ismystrength.blogspot.com/2012/01/lets-get-this-party-started.html & now I’ll be checking in here a well!
Thanks for sharing!!!
Leigh

Elizabeth Wickland March 8, 2012 at 9:20 pm

LOL! I scored and A, a B, and a C. Hmmm…. I’m going to go with the description that resonates in my soul, though, so just call me Claire!! Now… I’m sure I have some laundry to hang by color and sleeve length in my closet. If only I had cute dividers to keep the categories separated…

Anonymous March 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I tested out as being Claire, but can completely relate with the person that posted:

I have so many ideas in my head and know that I am an organized person, but getting started; sticking with one thing (because there might be something better); having the time to get to that organized (of course I have time to READ about being organized! LOL!); and not letting my 6 kiddos (ages 12-3) and my hunsband’s schedules get in my way prove to be very hard for me, SO I test as a Claire, but do not appear to be. LOL!

N. Yasmin April 6, 2012 at 12:10 am

So, I tested as a ‘Claire’. (But I know that I am also a ‘Cam’. I love me a DIY project!)

Cara May 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I’m Phil, but I love me some DIY!

Claire January 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I’ve just taken this quiz whilst reading your ebook… Where it is a quiz and no names were mentioned. I did a wee out loud scream when I answered mostly 2 and read “hello Claire”

How did you know?!

Austin Maid Service January 26, 2013 at 1:36 am

I love this schedule! I’ve been meaning to put something like this together! Thanks for saving me some time. Thanks!

Misty March 20, 2014 at 11:11 am