featuredparentingcastle

Parenting Happy Kids

photo via The Busy Budgeting Mama

I’ve got something very exciting to announce: “The meal plan is coming! The meal plan is coming!”.  My friend Mel (who’s a healthy cooking rock star) is currently training and raising funds for Team in Training.  So I suggested she make a 12 week meal plan, which I’ll put up here along with a link where everyone can show their appreciation by donating to help fight blood cancer (completely at  your discretion and no minimum amount required).  Mel took the idea and ran with it, she’s putting together weekly menus, shopping lists, nutritional information and even how to make the meals gluten or dairy free as we speak!  Mark you calendars friends, March 1st, the meal plan arrives and life gets a little easier for us all (you don’t have to wait until then to support the cause though – I promise Mel will still share her nutrition know how even if she reaches her goal early).

But enough about meal plans and organizing for now.  Today I wanted to shift our focus back to the littles and share some posts from around the web that have really resonated with me lately.

1. We all know developmental milestones normally occur within a time range – we all know it and yet most of us secretly think the back end of that range is a scary place to be.  This post speaks to that truth so well!  It’s a great read, especially for first time parents.
  2. Along those same lines – how to find every child’s “magic”.
  3. This post is short on length but big on impact.  Sneak Peek: the child is constantly confronted with the nagging question, “what are you going to be?”  courageous would be the youngster who, looking the adult squarely in the face, would say, “i’m not going to be anything; i already am.”
  4. Blogland’s been abuzz lately over the new book Bringing Up Bebe and the glimpse it provides into the way French mamas do it all.  For a great run down of some of the high points, see this post (I was most fascinated by the stuff on independent play).
  5. This is a nice summary on how and why to prepare your children for new situations using role playing.
  6. 10 really useful tips on how to “invest in the moments as they happen”.  It’s an excellent reminder that your kids will remember less about what you did together and more about how you did it.
  7. A sweet example that it really is the little things (via apartment therapy).
  8. Can you believe this only cost her $4 to make?!  The 3D cobblestones totally make it.
Finally, do you do anything everyday, occasionally, or on special occasions just to make your kiddos happy?  I’d love it if you’d share with us in the comments.

Similar Stuff:

Tulip Row February 21, 2012 at 5:06 am

I am your newest follower, follow back at tuliprow.blogspot.com

Dalton February 21, 2012 at 5:27 am

Thanks for sharing all of the great links.
In terms of doing things with my children that make them happy, my older daughter loves to bake. She lights up when she puts her sweet little apron on and hops up on her stool. With a baby around the house now too, it’s one of the things I do with just her to make her feel special. We end up sending most of the baked goods into work with my husband because we would never be able to get through them all. But, it’s one of my favorite things to do with her (and it’s really made my husband quite popular at work…) Kind of a win for everyone!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 21, 2012 at 7:12 am

I’m starting to make a routine out of cooking with C too! I’m really big on meals we can make to a point together early in the day when S is napping (two days ago it was ground chicken burgers and today it was slow cooker chili), then I either put it the crock pot to cook ’till dinner or in the fridge until its time to cook. He loves to bake too but I always end up eating it all :).

colourgiggles February 21, 2012 at 11:27 am

Thanks so much for including a link to my post of finding your child’s magic… what a privilege to be included in such a lovely post…

qmfrankl February 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thank you so much. My best friend and I were planning to tackle the 90-day meal plan by dividing and conquering. Our initial thought (really it was her idea) was to identify themes for each day of the week (taken from your idea ‘a pasta night’, ‘a slow cooker night’) and create a ring or recipe box full of recipes for that them (90 for each theme was the ideal goal). Anyhow, she has a gluten allergy and their family sticks to a paleo diet for the most part, so I was going to adapt my recipes to work for her. :) Anyhow, after reading today’s post you can imagine the delight and utter joy that came bouncing out of us as we learned that a 12-week program was headed our way.

THANK YOU!

Jeneise Bello February 21, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I am so excited to see the meal plan! So far I have organized my pantry and I am on day 3 of my new weekly cleaning schedule. Thanks so much for all the inspiration and encouragment I needed this push to get me going :)

summer drew February 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm

hi there, thanks so much for linking to my post (notes on an unhurried journey)! it’s such a wonderful quote to read and re-read, isn’t it? anyway, love your blog. thanks for the mention!

Kelly May 9, 2012 at 2:17 am

Thanks for sharing my link here. I what a balance you bring with these posts. Love it.