featuredcastiron

Nothing Says Love Like a Little Cast Iron

How sweet are these little pan gifts?  Apparently, you can get a 5″ cast iron skillet for under $10 and you can find the free printable here.  I love the idea of presenting these guys to just about anyone but your husband for Valentine’s Day.  The message “you’ll think of me over cheese and eggs” becomes less cute (and more than a little pushy) when you live with the gift recipient.

The real beauty of this gift is that its more than just a charming gesture.   For health reasons, we recently nixed all of our non-stick cookware.  Ever since doing that and reading this, I’ve started thinking about adding a cast iron skillet to our kitchen arsenal.  We received a new stainless steel set of pots and pans for Christmas and I love them but I’m a little dismayed by how easily the pans stain.  (I’ve pretty much figured out how to deal with it when the problem gets out of hand though – thank you facebook followers for answering my quandary!).

Wishing you a happy Valentine’s Day whether you’re celebrating with breakfast in bed or a night out on the town.

P.S. Project Organize Your ENTIRE Life starts tomorrow!

Get your shopping done early with our Infamous Christmas Toy Gift Guides!

Ausmerican Housewife February 14, 2012 at 6:34 am

I’d love some cast iron but I just don’t have the room in my kitchen. My current nonstick are doing me just fine (2 fry pans and one ridged grill oan) and my stainless steel set my inlaws bought for us as a bridal shower/wedding gift are in heavy rotation. My dad’s best friend is a cast iron CHEF! I’ve had his cooking once but the rave reviews from others confirm it. Fabulous stuff!

With stubborn stains on my pots and pans, I use either some baking soda (mixed into a paste with some water) and elbow grease with a scrubby sponge or some of my kitchen scrub (it’s called Jif). It’s safe for pots and pans and everything gets a thourough rinse when I use it.

Anonymous February 17, 2012 at 12:48 am

Oh my goodness, husband and I LOVE our cast iron skillet. Easy to clean, easy to cook in, delicious food. Best bacon, indoor burgers (cooked in a bit of bacon grease) and sausage gravy we’ve ever made. Only drawback is how heavy they are but they cook so evenly! We have an arsenal of essential stainless steel pots and pans that I also love. If the meal is cooked on, I soak the pot/pan in hot water with a used dryer sheet and it takes all food off, no problem. Some stains stay behind but generally cook off later. Otherwise, Bar Keepers Friend turns that pot back to brand new every time!

GDuPar February 19, 2012 at 3:40 am

I attended a cooking class and the chef said that we should have a seasoned good stainless steel pan similar to a cast iron. It was incredible the taste difference between a regular pan and a seasoned one. And you treat it the same way as a cast iron.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 19, 2012 at 3:49 am

Thanks for sharing – I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a seasoned stainless steel pan. I’d love to learn more.

GDuPar February 19, 2012 at 4:20 am

I remember that you oil it and put it in the oven for 45 minutes. It will smoke. Once you have seasoned the pan, don’t use it for sauteing and deglazing or anything else that involves acidic liquids, etc. or you will need to reseason it. He said to think of it as the right tool for the job. After it is seasoned, don’t wash it with soap, like cast iron, or that will remove the non-stick surface you’ve created. It may be the ugliest pan in your kitchen, but looks aren’t everything. Oh and make sure other pans aren’t placed on top of it or it will scratch, unless you use a paper towel or place something similar on top of it.

GDuPar February 19, 2012 at 3:49 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

GDuPar February 19, 2012 at 3:49 am

This comment has been removed by the author.