How I organized my ENTIRE Life - a total must read!

The Beginning – READ THIS FIRST!!

I’ve been trying to figure out how to write this without sounding ridiculous.  What I want to say is this: I finally did it you guys, I completely and totally organized my life!  It took a lot of hard work and a lot of late nights but I now have a plan, routine, or system for everything.

• I’ve compiled and categorized enough healthy, inexpensive and easy recipes that I have a 90 day dinner menu (complete with theme nights like pasta Monday and slow-coooker Thursday) and I have the grocery lists to match.
  • There is nothing in my house that we don’t use.  I’ve ferociously weeded out the clutter and sent it packing via Craig’s List or Goodwill.
  • Everything I didn’t get rid of is now beautifully organized into colorfully labeled containers. If you’re ever visiting and you need something, just ask me – I totally know where it all is.
  • I now have a weekly schedule with time carved out for blogging, housework, play dates, park time, library time, and other activities we’ve been wanting to try but never got around to.
  • For those days we stay home, we’ve got a dependable routine that the kids can rely on. It includes stuff like art time, outside time, story time and bath time.
  • Remember when I told you C isn’t really down with napping anymore and I was worried about ever getting anything done again?  I completely solved that problem by putting together some genius quiet time kits (one for each day of the week so he doesn’t get bored).  They’re crammed with busy bags, DIY audio books, and learning activities he can do independently.
  • I finally got our budget down to a science using a combination of the cash envelope system and mint.com.  We’re saving tons! (and while I was at it I updated our wills, life insurance, and retirement planning).
  • Thanks to evernote and some other handy apps, I will never again miss an appointment or birthday. (If something does somehow sneak by me, I have a birthday closet with pre-bought gifts and cards – thanks to the new budget and organization I now have the space and money for it.)
  • I also joined a gym and started exercising regularly (part of the new weekly schedule).  The kids love playing at the drop off center while I’m burning calories.
  • I went through all 2,000 of my digital photos, edited them, imported them to yearly photobooks and backed them all up online.  I’ve also caught up on my personal blog and am regularly contributing to it.
  • Last but not least, the hubs and I have a set-in-stone date night that we never miss and we’ve recently instituted family game night.
Seriously, it’s been a long time coming but today I stood in the middle of my living room, looked around the house and admired what I’ve accomplished with a huge goofy grin on my face.

And then I woke up. DAMN. IT.

Sounds good though, doesn’t it? I should probably get on that.

P.S. The top photo is from Martha.  I bet she doesn’t have cruel dreams like that – since she really is that organized.  Also, I hear she doesn’t actually sleep.

UPDATE:  The joke’s on me, it would seem, because in getting all of that out of my system, I (and many others) became mysteriously motivated to actually attempt to do some of it.

If you’d like to be involved, you can:

1) Buy our eBooks and/or printables here – designed to quickly get you on track and up to speed.

2) Go here to quickly scan all of the projects so far (the idea is to add more and more as time goes on).

3) Read more about the unique way we’re going about this at How I Organized My ENTIRE Life – The Next Chapter and  join us over at the POYEL facebook group.

4) Did you know that facebook has recently drastically changed the way pages like MPMK can share with their followers? Even if you’re a fan of the MPMK facebook page, only a portion of our posts and updates are showing up in your feed these days.

So how do you continue to get all of our parenting, playtime, organization, and recipe ideas?  Sign up for the MPMK newsletter! You’ll get all of our best stuff plus exclusive content just for our subscribers.

Jocelyn February 10, 2012 at 5:33 am

Ha! You really had me! I was reading in disbelief how anyone could get all that done. Martha is as imperfect as the rest of us. She has a staff of people do to all that kind of stuff. I much rather sleep than have a completely perfect life.

Amanda @NotJustCute February 10, 2012 at 6:20 am

I totally believed you! You ARE that amazing. I kept thinking,”Crap, this is all the stuff I keep saying I’ll do, but I can’t get my act together. How’d she do it? I want to know the secret!” Glad to see you’re keepin’ it real, though the dreams are nice while they last! :0)

kaelee February 10, 2012 at 6:31 am

I am pretty sure that would solve all of my problems.

My2Girls February 10, 2012 at 6:53 am

You had me hook, line and sinker. I was hating you half way through the list and now I love you again now that I know that you are just like the rest of us.

mary February 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

my words exactly.. definitly hating you..

Jary February 11, 2012 at 2:55 am

I was definitely hating too… hahahaha

Classy Clutter February 13, 2012 at 3:09 am

hahaha!! Me too!!!!

Mallory @ Classy Clutter

Debbie O February 15, 2012 at 4:13 am

Wow! If only that were true!!! U would be the lady I aspire to be!!! Back to reality, as I trip on the shoes at my front door! What a clever plan though, some kind of goal!!!! I like it!!!

Leigh March 1, 2012 at 6:22 pm

my thoughts EXACTLY! haha

Anonymous March 11, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Was starting to really dislike you and think that you must have unusual children and husband. Feel better now! Lol

Anonymous May 15, 2012 at 2:47 am

my EXACT thoughts!! Haha now I can’t wait to read the rest of your blog ;-)

MStrasser February 10, 2012 at 7:22 am

I have to tell you your blog is one of my top three! I talk about it all the time and this post will have me talking all week! It reminds me of a conversation I had with my husband about the magazine Real Simple. I love this magazine, and have to admit I was a bit crushed at first when he said, “That’s ridiculous! There’s nothing simple about that magazine!” Thanks for reminding us that life really is messy — it’s not just the kids ;)

Anonymous February 12, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I love the comment from your husband “ther is nothing simple about that magazine”
JEANETTE

Anonymous February 12, 2012 at 8:41 pm

WOULD love to know what your other top two are …
jeanette

Clodagh a.k.a. Isra February 10, 2012 at 8:02 am

Brilliant! I. Was drooling with pure envy! Classic, thanks for making my day. Now where did I put those kids?

Heidi_Australia February 10, 2012 at 9:02 am

Goshdarnit!! I was waiting for all the awesome links that would accompany a post like this…let down. But also, SWEET RELIEF because I had no idea how I would be able to try them all out!!
Thanks, great reality check

Pacas February 10, 2012 at 11:26 am

I was reading your blog post, trying to learn something with it to start organizing myself, then I just have to laugh a lot :))) and keep dreaming!!!!!

Bernadette {Chic Spaces for Little Faces} February 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm

LOL, you really had me. I was starting to think “wow, am I lazy!” Thanks for the laugh and I love reading your blog.

Sarah P. February 17, 2012 at 1:14 am

I was feeling the same way; I better get up and do something. I was also waiting for you to tell us how you did it. I would love to have a schedule like that. Only in a dream…

scattymam1 February 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Wow you’ve had me in stitches, was just thinking it was all a bit too much ;-)

echis February 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm

that was awesome…he he he

Sarah February 10, 2012 at 1:30 pm

You just made my new to-do list :) I was reading with awe and admiration. To dream…..

RedHeadedMomma February 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I love you. Thank you for the good, hearty belly laugh this morning! :)

Petra February 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm

OMG, this was hillarious!!!!

Lovebird February 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Wow. I was getting so jealous! I can’t wait till next year when I get to live like that! It’s great to start the day with a dream…..

Tiffany February 10, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I was ready to figure out where you live and come to do a stake-out to figure out HOW ON EARTH?!?! Dammit, need to calm down my heart palpatations… was getting anxious with envy!! Hilarious!

Allison February 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm

HAHA! I was so jealous for a minute and thought you were super mom or something!

Anonymous February 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Definitely good for a chuckle! I was beginning to think you were beyond human!

Audrey February 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm

That is HYSTERICAL. I was thinking you must be smoking crack, on one hand, but on the other, I was starting to get down because I’m not nearly on the road to that (YET!). The relief that flooded me when I read “And then I woke up” was palpable. Thanks for the great laugh!

2flowerslearn.com February 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm

So totally believed you and was waiting for the how… you are evil! ha

Heather B February 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Not only did you wake up from yoru dream, but the kids never got sick, hubby never stayed late at work, children never had melt-downs and mama got a wonderful eight hours of sleep every night, ad god blessed with endless patience. GREAT post – and a reminder that no one is super mom and had it all together.

Laura February 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Oh man I thought you were serious and I was dying with envy. I was hoping you post on how you did it all. Thanks for sharing and keeping it real. Loved it.

Shereen February 10, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Haha, and I was waiting for printables at the end!

Megan L February 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm

BAHAHAHA! Yesss!

My eyes kept getting bigger and bigger as I waited for the “how to”! I wish someone would swoop in and organize my life! A girl can dream…

Michelle February 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

This made me laugh…glad to year you can’t do it either! ;o)

Anonymous February 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I was really close to hating you!!!! Ha!!!! Favorite post E.V.E.R -kat

Sarai Brinker February 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm

aw man! I wanted to see this amazing schedule!! :)

Momma Crazy J February 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Thats hilarious and sooo my life!!!

My Journey With Candida February 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

LOL…. how funny. I was thinking you really did it…

M.C. Sommers February 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Just found your blog from the Alt list from yesterday :) This is hilarious. You had me going for a moment. I especially loved the title!

Anonymous February 10, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Lady,
that was just cruel. I really wanted that 90 day menu with the grocery lists to match. :)

Sara October 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

me too!

Mini Piccolini February 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm

AMAZING! You had me soooo inspired and ready to get on it! HA! I guess I can relax about the chaos a little longer… Still, I think if you put a few of us, your type A readers, on it. I’m sure we could come up with a plan for each of the areas you mention!

Anonymous February 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Thank goodness you were dreaming too! I was feeling completely inadequate to even READ your post about halfway though….

Elizabeth February 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I BELIEVED you!!! This is the best blog post I’ve read in a LONG TIME. I was ready to write you a check to come get me started here!!

kaley February 10, 2012 at 5:17 pm

oh my, I was starting to feel a little envious. That was awesome. Nice to know that I am not the only one with lofty goals.

Tara @ TheButterDish February 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm

So cute! I must admit I was in awe and then pleasantly pleased to find we were both still in the same planes or life. Ironically, I’ve actually started implementing many of these solutions. I just moved and although exhausting, moving is a great opportunity to downsize and get rid of clutter.

There is a book I’ve been listening to called “Get It Done Guys, Nine Steps to Working Less and Doing More” by Stever Robbins. He is funny to listen to and his tricks for organizing life are fantastic and very doable.

So although it may be a dream, the life you list is obtainable and something adventurous to work towards. :)

Faith MOPS February 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sheri February 10, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Ha! I was thinking, “Is this a brag post? Where are all the practical tips?” Glad to know that you are no better than the rest of us ;)

Collier Creations February 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I wasn’t sure whether to hate you or stand in awe or both! We can dream, can’t we?

Emma February 10, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I was so looking forward to the 90 day meal planner too!

stacey February 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm

i cried a a little when you said you woke up – we must have the same dream! i think we can do it, though!

Abbie February 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I’m new to your blog and when I read this I was like, no way! this lady is nuts! I can not subscribe to someone like this because she is a robot. Glad I got to the end! Nice one.

DevoutKitten February 10, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I was going to ask for your recipe and grocery lists :/

Bri February 10, 2012 at 8:53 pm

oh my word…I was just telling myself, “I don’t think I can read this blog anymore If I have to read about this kind of ridiculous perfection!” Whew!

Laura February 10, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Hahaha! I totally believed you:) awesome things to work toward

Anonymous February 10, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I just about stopped reading – I couldn’t take it any more! As my 2 year old is freaking out at my feet …. feeling thankul that this was dream, because it is mine too and I am sooo not there!

Brooke February 10, 2012 at 10:53 pm

LOl I actually believed you because I am ALMOST to this point. I recently completed a HUGE home management Binder and Recipe Binder (close to 300 pages each) I decluttered and did a deep clean of the house (only have our bedroom left- my worst enemy) I have began photo collage projets to hang in every room of the house, I am still trying to get my schedules worked out so they work best for us but do have daily menu plans for 4 weeks wrote up, a schedule for exerciseing, my husbands work, play and learn activities for my toddler,Cleaning schedule, daily to do schedule, daily chore checklist, and I have a school calendar waiting to be filled in when my husband and I BOTH start back FULL TIME in March (? Hopefully maybe July if he doesn’t get finished with some testing he has to get done for his work). I know that in time though we will find the perfect fits for us. We also just found a babysitter for SET-IN-STONE date nights (providing he isn’t deployed or called in). We’ve made a 4 year plan to be DEBT FREE!! and are working on getting a budget in order. I probably will still miss birthdays and appts ( I am after all still a mommy who on more days then not only works on half a brain) but I am less likely to now with my home management binder. I am starting making quite bags next week and I guess you could say I backed up my photos… I just put them all on photobucket so my mom could see them too because I got rid of my facebook. I have not edited them all and put them in photo books though and I doubt I ever will really. I’m not near perfect and yes my house still is messy ALL the time in one place or another… as I said I haven’t hit my room yet, I have a sink full of dishes I just couldn’t bring myself to do last night and my daughter is sitting in the middle of a toy hurricane behind me at this moment. BUT life is getting on track and feels so nice. If you want to hear more details and think of ideas to actually LIVE your dream I am just starting up a blog (like seriously I have all the background info but today is my first post): http://freeliferevolution.blogspot.com/

lksquared February 11, 2012 at 12:25 am

I think this post is amazing! I thought about sending my daughter to your house for boot camp on playing quietly and independently without getting bored! Good/Bad dream :) I stood in the middle of my living room today too … it wasn’t in my dreams, and I didn’t sigh in relief!!!

cari February 11, 2012 at 12:25 am

That was awesome! I totally believed every word and was getting so envious. Thanks for the laugh!

Karen February 8, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Loved it! You have everything listed on my bucket list. If only haha!!

Sandra February 11, 2012 at 12:33 am

Awesome post!

Carrie February 11, 2012 at 12:55 am

In the time it took me to read this post–I almost threw up, chucked my shoe at the computer screen, and ran down the street screaming.

I am SO glad you were not serious. You scared the crap out of me!

Junebug February 11, 2012 at 1:33 am

That was fantastic. I wanted your food lists. That would be awesome! Thanks!

Mari Adkins February 11, 2012 at 2:07 am

There is nothing in my house that we don’t use

i’m trying to get there myself, but it’s so hard!

Whitney February 11, 2012 at 2:35 am

Awe, I was getting excited, thinking, she is my new role model! If she can do it so can I!

SocialStudiesSoubrette February 11, 2012 at 2:39 am

I read through this and was like wow I want to be her. You totally had me, lol! Thanks for the snicker and those are some amazing goals.

I Am Mom February 11, 2012 at 2:54 am

Yes, you got me too! It would be awesome to tackle even one of these (for me, the best one would be to weed out clutter and organize all of our possessions). A good aspirational list, nonetheless.

Hailey February 11, 2012 at 3:24 am

This is a hilarious, it took me all evening to read this post. I was off downloading Evernote and looking through websites for 90 recipes..lol…lol…I was just signing up to Mint.com….and then I went back and read the rest of the post to see what else I could do to get organised…lol. I am so desperate to get organised I will believe anything!! hahaha!! Thanks for making me feel better. :)

KatieRae February 11, 2012 at 3:33 am

Ahahaha. Nice.

KatieRae February 11, 2012 at 3:41 am

Ahahaha. Nice.

KatieRae February 11, 2012 at 3:41 am

Ahahaha. Nice.

KatieRae February 11, 2012 at 3:41 am

Ahahaha. Nice.

lemondropdreams February 11, 2012 at 5:31 am

I was REALLY jealous, right up unitl the end…but in all seriousness, those are some good ideas!!

Jen | Our Happy Family February 11, 2012 at 6:26 am

Hilarious!! And those are basically my to do goals for the next couple months…I think if I aim high I have a pretty good chance of at least accomplishing a few of them! ;)

Eva's House February 11, 2012 at 7:20 am

You had me too! That show us we are not superwomen, even if we would love to be ;) Greetings from Switzerland!

Jennie February 11, 2012 at 7:57 am

Oh dang!!! I was about to feel pretty bad about the job I was doing on being organized!! You rock :))

Jennie (cinnaberry suits)

Hannah February 11, 2012 at 10:11 am

This is so funny!! You managed to slightly motivate me to put this laptop down though and get tidying :)

פיצ'ולה February 11, 2012 at 1:39 pm

you’ve just made me feel so better…

Anonymous February 11, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Thank you for a great laugh and making me feel normal. :) Somedays it feels impossible to even get a shower with 2very small kids.

Anonymous February 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm

ha! you got me!

Nicole Manier February 11, 2012 at 3:39 pm

This was the first email I read when I woke up the other day and I said to myself “WHY CAN I NOT EVEN GET ONE OF THOSE THINGS DONE!” Glad I am not the only one. I was just looking through the popular section on Pinterest and this pin came up with over 1500 pins already. You should be really proud! Thanks for the humor first thing in the morning. It is nice to start the day with a smile.

roxannehembd February 11, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I’m starting a new business where I can HELP people accomplish everything on this list. God help me that I can help others!

Play Me Mama February 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm

we’re dreaming the same dreams…I love that I found you on Pinterest, it’s the only truly organized thing in my house!

SushiQ February 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Got me! I found you on Pinterest, and I am in love! This was hilarious. You’ve got a new minion!

Anonymous February 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I was starting to hate you. Thank you for the laugh!

writerinspired February 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Ugh! But, I sooo want this to be true, so I can keep the dream alive! ;)

Kate February 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Me too!

jennifer little February 11, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Well Damn, I was looking for the “purchase this plan” button!

Kate February 12, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I was totally looking for it too, cause I wanted in! ;-) Guess we’ll just have to keep muddling through ourselves, lol.

bonafidebites February 11, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Hilarious! Thank you so much for the laugh. I found you through a pin on Pinterest. People really think you’ve figured it all out.

Genius.

Anonymous February 12, 2012 at 12:35 am

LOL, nice job! I was believing every bit. :) I read through this as if I was looking at it through the eyes of a very ocd persons ways, I swear its that way at the home of one of our family members. was really wondering the after math it would cause for the kids when they grow up and find the world doesn’t function like that. Any thoughts, as if this were real?

Anonymous February 12, 2012 at 2:44 am

So great…love the quiet bag.idea…

Gallamore West February 12, 2012 at 3:01 am

At first I was reading this thinking it was SO awesome, then I started getting so bummed thinking “How can she do all of that?!” when I can’t seem to get half of that done. Haaaa!! This was awesome- thanks for making me feel normal at the end! :)
xo,
Laurie @ Gallamore West

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 12, 2012 at 4:21 am

Anonymous – that’s an interesting point you bring up. My short answer is that kind of perfection probably isn’t good for any family. My long answer is a bit more involved. I actually have more to say on the subject (she says mysteriously) so stay tuned!

Traci February 12, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I will mysteriously await.. ;)

Alissa February 12, 2012 at 5:20 am

You seriously had me almost in a cold sweat of inadequacy.

Kate February 12, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I’m still a little jealous, even though I know the truth! ;-)

MoreThanMommies February 12, 2012 at 5:26 am

I love this post and will totally be sharing it on my blog. I was incredibly inspired by all of the wonderful things you said you had done – especially the schedules because I LONG to be a schedule person but am TOTALLY not one. Then the ending of your post was pure magic! It made me love you so much for being so detailed about what perfect would be and making it sound so ridiculous! :)

Anonymous February 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Fabulous post. I hope that what my kiddos will remember about me, is NOT that I had piles of laundry on the couch, but that when they “needed a cuddle,” I didn’t hesitate to toss the laundry OFF the couch and cuddle up! Judy

theseasidebaker February 12, 2012 at 4:46 pm

HAHA love it!!!!!!

ModernCountryDesigns February 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm

hahaha loved this…i feel so much better!!!

Brigitte February 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm

By line three I was already hating YOU!!! Thank goodness I didn’t stop reading…. on to the next chapter!

Tamara February 12, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Awesome!!!! I would love to have the same dream! LOL

Kate February 12, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I wondered how you only had 2,000 photos, I’ve taken that many just on my phone in the last year. ;-)

I posted to my FB, we’ll see how my friends react to my desire to follow in your exact footsteps.

Cindi February 15, 2012 at 4:09 am

yeh, getting that task done would be a dream come true!

Courtney February 13, 2012 at 1:35 am

You totally had me going…I was thinking how does she do it. Please …is she going to tell us her secret…

Snappy Wynks February 13, 2012 at 3:20 am

I love it. I was hoping to get to the “how I did it…” part so I could follow suit :)

Anonymous February 13, 2012 at 7:09 am

I didn’t laugh at all. My sister actually does almost all of these things. Now that she’s read the article she’ll probably do the rest too. I don’t know how, but I know it’s possible. Hop to it, everyone!!

Anonymous February 13, 2012 at 7:14 am

As I was reading this I was hating you more and more and was thinking to myself “GOOD FOR YOU”. I like you still and this reminded me of a sign I saw. It said, “Please excuse the mess. The children are making memories”.

Lana Wallpe February 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm

From your lips to God’s ears! What a wonderful dream. Now on to making it a reality or at least parts of it real.

Victoria February 13, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I was feeling very guilty at my lack of organization, and then a feeling of comfort and relief! Ha. I will, however, work towards all of the above! Awesome post!

Ms. Salti February 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm

If I could get 3 of these things done, I’d be completely happy!

Sarah B February 13, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I heart you.
I don’t even know you & this is the first blog entry by you that I’ve read but…
I heart you.
I found this via my Pinterest with the caption: “How I Organized My Entire Life” witty and encouraging, vs. condescending & impossible.
So I clicked and “ran” right over here to wait for you to tell me how you did it.
I read your list, my heart beating a bit quicker with each entry. Everything you listed, I want to accomplish. I was waiting for the process of how you managed to do it, what system you used and then I got to: And then I woke up. DAMN. IT.
And I wasn’t sure. Wait, what? Woke up? What does that mean? SHE DIDN’T DO THIS AND LAY IT OUT FOR ME IN SIMPLE, EASY TO FOLLOW TERMS?!?!?
I still heart you. And you inspired me. One task at a time, I will organize my life.
Thanks for the laugh,
Your new follower :)

Life's Organization Expert February 14, 2012 at 12:34 am

OOOOHHH brilliant! You definitely had me….I was SOOO proud and impressed! LOL

Christina February 14, 2012 at 3:20 am

I must admit, I scrolled to the bottom first thing to see that my hunch was correct and this was a joke. Inspiring nontheless!

Anonymous February 14, 2012 at 3:29 am

You got me! I was starting to get mad at myself..bc I would love to be that organized.

Shelley February 14, 2012 at 4:29 am

I was thinking I better get started and how it nice it would be. I also wondered how many years it took you to do it all. Wow! Only in one night’s dream. Now, that would be nice!

The Mayos! February 14, 2012 at 7:14 am

I was so excited by this that I almost pinned it to my project board before I was even done reading the punch line!

mudpiemama February 14, 2012 at 11:34 am

Hilarious! Like others said I was starting to hate you just a little bit (ok a lot!) when I got to the end :) brilliant!!

kim February 14, 2012 at 1:09 pm

you had me, I was ready to follow you anywhere lol :)

Paula February 14, 2012 at 3:39 pm

This would have been a great April Fool’s Day post.

Anonymous February 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

OMG!!!! That was just too funny!

Magooey February 14, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Wow! I was totally putting all of that on my “to-do” list! :) I love the fresh outlook and sense of humor over the craziness of what real life is. Live it and love it! :)

Anonymous February 14, 2012 at 10:33 pm

You had me. Hook. Line. Sinker. Just too funny! And, sadly, something I would so love to be true!

Ricki Martin February 15, 2012 at 12:25 am

Best. Pinterest pin. EVER!! Thanks I needed that today !

{Bellamere Cottage} February 15, 2012 at 12:50 am

I was reading that wishing I was you……. :-)

Blessings,
Spencer

allysgrandma February 15, 2012 at 1:14 am

Since I just “met” you, I totally believed it. I have been working for the past 10 years and still am not organized. But my new mantra is “why not me?” Why not me organized, why not me thin, etc!

simply nikki February 15, 2012 at 3:35 am

WOW. Saw this on Pinterest, and of course was reeled in. Started reading and with each passing # I hated you more. ;-) I was thinking no freaking way, I’m such a FAILURE! Sorry, but I felt a HUGE sigh of relief getting to your “I woke up” part!!! THANK GOD!!! I too wish I could be more organized, but you know what sometimes I’m glad I’m just organized enough that I typically know where everything is, it’s only on occasion I miss an appointment, or am late for something, and there’s only about one week a month where I get behind on my groceries so we have to eat out all week. I can live with that. I think life would be a bit mundane if things were THIS organized. Right???? Plus, then when could I sink into the couch with my fish bowl glass of wine and not feel guilty if everything was perfect….? ;-)

Gail February 15, 2012 at 5:18 am

LOL, good one….I was thinking, what a bore life would be if everything were so well planned….besides I would never be able to keep up with it all and if anything went wrong, I would be very upset….not worth it. Grin.

Kim February 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Haha! I totally thought you were for reals and I was like “So it is possible!! Someone has done it!!” And you were my hero for a minute ;) Looks like you’ve got a great thing going and I will probably spend the morning reading through old posts. I found you via Parents Magazine (congrats!!) and love everything I’ve read so far :) Have a wonderful day!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Thanks so much Kim – glad you’re finding stuff you like ;).

Izzy'sMom February 15, 2012 at 6:42 pm

HAHA!!! I found you via pinterest and you totally had me! I read your list with my mouth hanging open..green with envy and hoping you were available for hire to come do the same to my life! Thanks for the laugh!

Megan February 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

This is the first time I have come across your blog and you really got me sucked in! I read your entire list with awe as you touched on everything I wish I had a handle on. Looks like I will be a regular visitor!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm

So glad to have you here Megan!

Rachel February 15, 2012 at 9:55 pm

When you’re getting your life organized it is a great time to think about life insurance. There’s a website where you can answer a few basic questions and get a rate quote comparison among major life insurance companies. I work for this company and we help a lot of people. http://bit.ly/ACmDw6

Love and Lollipops February 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

heehee, I sent this post to all my non-blogging friends and quite a few read it and got back to me. I so enjoyed this post because I too have been on a bit of an organising mission over the last few months, but am no-where near my end goal. Seeing it all written out like this made me smile. Us Mom’s sure do set ourselves ultra high standards and mammoth tasks and then feel so guilty when we aren’t getting it right. :)

Georgia

Kells February 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Even though this didn’t happen, your post inspired me to knowing that we may not be perfect, but we can get closer to being organized.

Yes, also my first time reading your blog. Very happy to have found it!

Roxanna February 17, 2012 at 3:36 am

Oh my… hahahaa I was thinking how in the world did she do all of that and I really want her 90 days of meals/recipes! What a cruel dream!

Anonymous February 17, 2012 at 3:38 am

LMAO!! You totally had me. The whole time I was thinking “if she can do it, why the heck can’t I ever seem to get it done?” LOL!

Anonymous February 17, 2012 at 4:27 am

I was actually mad and in disbelief when you said it was a dream! I want to believe it’s real! because if you did all that, I could have at least done half!

Anonymous February 17, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Ditto to all comments above. Started off feeling inspired, which quickly turned to discouraged, and now i just feel like I’m a member of a huge cult of other people who feel exactly the way I do- it’ll never get done!!
+=)

Amanda February 17, 2012 at 6:43 pm

ROFLOL — You totally got me!! My mouth was hanging open and I was unbelievably impressed and hopeful that I could do the same thing. But how much more fun and realistic to share your journey. :)

ThisIsMyLife February 18, 2012 at 3:06 am

I just found your blog via Pinterest…and I have to say, I love it!
At first I was feeling a bit down on myself, very jealous, and really lazy!
I’m so glad to hear that I am not the only one with big dreams and little ambition. Thanks for sharing…and making so many of us feel more normal;)

Always Evolving Mama February 19, 2012 at 3:34 am

Reading all of that I was seriously thinking, this woman has too much time on get hands if she truly accomplished all of this…..along with a
Personal chef, nanny, trainer, housekeeper etc. Loved it! I’m so in on this. I recently started working outside the house full time with a 1/2 hr commute each way. I worked from home for 5 1/2 years. I now struggle more than ever to juggle everything! Organization is the key, but I think i’ve lost that key under a pile of papers in the dining room.

Always Evolving Mama February 19, 2012 at 3:35 am

Always Evolving Mama February 19, 2012 at 3:35 am

Always Evolving Mama February 19, 2012 at 3:36 am

Always Evolving Mama February 19, 2012 at 3:36 am

Always Evolving Mama February 19, 2012 at 3:36 am

Always Evolving Mama February 19, 2012 at 3:36 am

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Barb February 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm

WOW, I was really starting to Hate you and I don’t even know you. I have had that dream many time though….LOL…Of course my children are now grown, last one off to college this year, and I am trying to get my house organized and the junk removed. You did inspire me..I just emptied out cabinets and closets and I’m about to get to work….Thanks for the inspiration even if it was a dream..

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 21, 2012 at 4:58 am

Yay! I cleaned out my lazy susan today too ;)

Barb February 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Oh and by the way I did steal this wonderful dream and sent it to many of my dear friends….hope you don’t mind.

Leah Cooper-Prockno February 20, 2012 at 5:14 am

I seriously hated you right up until I got to the just joking part of that post ! I was like wow people like her make me feel like the most unproductive person ever. But now that I know you are a fellow work in progress, I’m really excited about progressing along with you lol. I’ve grabbed your button to put on my blog tinkandbubba.blogspot.com , it’s pretty new, so I’m not sure how much traffic you will get from it, but I will definitely give it a try.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 21, 2012 at 4:58 am

Thanks so much Leah!

Love,
Your fellow work in progress

h.hein February 20, 2012 at 6:54 am

So glad that was a dream – i have that one too! working full time as a teacher (AKA collector) and as a mother of 4 (8 and under) there is just not enough time to get it all done! (but i do seem to find time for facebook and pinterest …..) Cannot wait to be inspired by you!

L ~ S February 20, 2012 at 11:58 am

LOL, I was starting to feel bad at what a failure I was :P

Sarah February 22, 2012 at 3:31 am

Thank goodness! I was going to have to call my therapist in the morning for an emergency inferiority complex intervention! LOL

Josi February 22, 2012 at 3:54 am

Soooo, get this, I was got so excited reading this that I didn’t finish it. So I’ve spent the last few days thinking that you really WERE this organized and so excited that you were going to let me in on the secret. I even told my mom!! I’m still just as excited to go through the process with you, you’ve really motivated me.

travellingc February 22, 2012 at 7:59 pm

This was absolutely refreshing and invigorating! You know that whole “envision your dream” so that you can better accomplish it? For years I’ve struggled with vision in this area, to know what it would look and feel like to have it all done. You completely captured it! Thank you, let the projects begin!

Miss Tiddels' February 23, 2012 at 7:05 am

Great idea! Got me inspired to take some action too.:)
I’ve posted a link of you site on my blog. (misstiddels.blogspot.com)
Sharing your project around the world.:)
Good luck! Looking forward to reading more about it.
Maryanne (Miss Tiddels’)

Anonymous February 25, 2012 at 7:26 pm

have to be honest. i almost cried.

Karen P February 27, 2012 at 4:00 am

So funny…I was feeling really jealous and wondering how you did it (thinking it was no sleep and lots of caffeine)!

Anonymous February 27, 2012 at 4:23 am

You had me going until you said you updated your will, retirement plan…then I knew this was false!

Fleur - Interior Design Surrey February 27, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Brilliant, funny witty. I really fell for it, thinking gosh how do you do it! Perhaps we can all aim to tick three off of that big to do list.

Connie February 29, 2012 at 6:26 pm

LOL..I was like, “Siiiiiiiiiigh! I wonder if she’ll send me her 90 days worth of recipes and shopping list.” Daaang! Well, if you ever DO get around to doing that, maybe you’ll post the recipes. :) Good luck!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 29, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Tomorrow Connie – they’re coming tomorrow!!

Anonymous March 3, 2012 at 1:23 am

I was totally in awe! I was wanting to hire you to organize my life! LOL

chocolatedogstudio March 6, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Wow, totally scared and annoyed at the same time. Scared that someone could actually do this and annoyed that someone would actually attempt to have their children that scheduled. Lol.
I am so relieved to find out that it is (was) a dream…..now off to live my almost totally disorganized life!

Rachelle March 7, 2012 at 4:32 am

I was seriously starting to feel depressed, and then figuring you must have clones, but HA! Loved this! I’m excited to learn more.

Kristy Stoner March 7, 2012 at 5:42 am

I was getting so mad reading this! Like WTF? Way to rub it in all our faces… Then I kept reading and laughed out loud that I am so gullible! Thanks for the laugh and the encouragement that even though I’m not where I want to be, I try everyday!

the long thread March 9, 2012 at 12:04 am

Oh, this is funny. At first I thought wow, that’s impressive. Then, what a jerk for flaunting this, then — well, she’s obviously taking drugs to accomplish all this. Glad to know that you’re sober and still a bit disorganized.

Jennifer Savage March 11, 2012 at 12:50 pm

You are awesome;)) Totally begin this process every week…then the ADD sets in, & I HAVE to start a task I am trying to “routinely schedule”. This so nice to know so many of us are united in our hopes, dreams & struggles;) WE CAN DO IT…probably after the kids move out. But hey, its good to have dreams.

Donna March 11, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Omg you are so hilarious. You had me feeling so bad about myself and by the end I was cracking up.

Vicki Dutcher March 11, 2012 at 5:23 pm

LOL – What a fabulous write up! I am signing up for your newsletter simply to read more of what you write! Priceless~~

maya March 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm

i just saw this on pinterest and was reading and thinking, “oh, how i hate her! … but maybe she’ll tell me how to get these things done? … but oh, how i hate her!”

love it! :)

Anonymous March 11, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Whew! I was really starting to hate you by the end, and was totally psychoanalyzing you too. I’m SO relieved you were not serious.

Cyndy March 12, 2012 at 1:47 am

Hahahaha….I really was like…”wow I’m impressed”, that being said you have a lot of great ideas there….

Tania March 12, 2012 at 7:15 pm

April fools on all of us a little early. I was starting to wonder how anyone could possibly accomplish all of that. Phew!

Anonymous March 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Thank you for putting my to-do list in one place! So funny. How about a challenge to get this all done by the end of the year?

brooke March 13, 2012 at 11:02 am

I was starting to think that you were bragging. :) I love this post. Just found it via a link of pintrest. Even though it is a joke, its still very motivating. I followed some of your links and it got me thinking about a better schedule. thanks.

Catherine Hansen Peart March 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm

You totally had me. I nearly cried when I realised you didn’t have the answer to share with us! Not really but you got my hopes up! :-) Hilarious. Now I feel motivated to go and clean out my junk drawer and sweep though…

Amy Adams March 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm

And now….I get to unpin you! Seriously—pinned ya under “Organization Ideas”….but I only have time for ‘tried and true’ suggestions…and I guess it wasn’t here.

artisangeekery April 7, 2012 at 2:43 am

Should have saved this one for April Fools Day. ;)

Lorina April 8, 2012 at 1:27 am

I was totally believing you…and thinking that is exactly everything I want to do, I am going to do everything she says to do in this post to get it accomplished…so funny! :)

Jessica April 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I love your post and I’m trying to following along and implement some of the ideas you are suggesting in your posts for your projects!!

I was just wondering though if I’m missing a place where you have links to everything in one spot. I’m trying to find all your posts in a sequential order but then realize I miss one.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com April 10, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Hi Jessica,

We’re so glad to have you! Each link in the post above will take you to all the posts on that particular subject. They don’t need to be followed in any type of order, as we’ve been jumping around a bit. Hope that helps.

Jessica May 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Ok Thanks!!! :)

Anonymous April 12, 2012 at 4:56 am

you had me at “organized” …. love your post :)

Dylan, Debbie and Natalie April 14, 2012 at 2:49 am

This is pretty awesome!! I can see what you mean about the motivation part. This is exactly what I would LOVE to do (a little OCD :) ) but I just can’t find the time! There is motivation there though now!

Anonymous April 18, 2012 at 6:40 pm

OMG, HAHAHA!!!! I was totally like, WOW that sounds like so much work…

Kate April 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

This is the first time I’ve come to your site, and YEEEEHAAAAA what an AWESOME AWESOME place. This is like Disney land, I think Im going to live here! Thank you for alllll you have to offer here its mind blowing and so exciting, I don’t know where to start!

Denise April 22, 2012 at 1:24 am

relief. for a second there i did not like you (jealousy). i’m glad you’re normal like the rest of us. i’d like to accomplised some things on your list. if i accomplished it all my life would be too boring. there’d be nothing left to do.

Heatherly Designs April 25, 2012 at 1:00 am

That was hilarious & I was amazed & awed by you. Then I got to the line where you said it was all a dream & was like ‘Woah’. Yeah, you totally had me.

Stasha April 26, 2012 at 4:13 am

You had me going. I was going to fly ti wherever you are an follow you for the day to learn from the master. Oh well…

Susann Gehring April 28, 2012 at 2:37 am

LOVE IT! LOVE IT LOVE IT! This was the best thing I read today!

Anonymous April 28, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I definitely want in on this!! I don’t have any kids of my own but my husband and I are just now starting to get into the foster/adoption process. Life already has me thinking like the rest of you…why can’t I just get it all together!! I have to do something before we do start getting kids in our house. So looking forward to getting organized together. I’ve tried every idea I’ve read but their all crazy and take more energy and time than anyone I know has. I think if we work together, real people who don’t have nannies and housekeepers, and chefs, can actually come up with sensible ways to get and stay organized. Looking forward to my future organized life

the backburner studio April 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm

We’ve started doing this at our house and in our studio, but I think we could definitely use some help (aka accountability & goals.) We’re definitely looking forward to reading and to participating.

–Jess
The Backburner Studio

suzed2010 May 3, 2012 at 11:23 am

OMG I totally believed you and was like this woman is my icon, how funny :-)

suzed2010 May 3, 2012 at 11:24 am

OMG I totally believed you and was like this woman is my icon, how funny :-)

NecoleV May 4, 2012 at 3:54 am

I honestly believed you and had a moment of PURE ENVY…you rock.lol

CandiandCoffee May 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Haha! As I was reading along I was wishing I had more organizational skills like YOU! Thanks for the laugh this morning. That all sounds great, but tough to do when kids, and life, and interruptions are constant. My life sure doesn’t look like a magazine so when someone comes by and it’s messy, I just say, “Come on it! Looks like we live here… CUZ WE DO!” Great post!

Anonymous May 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm

its nice to b organized, but it is possible to b too organized. if someone was really that organized they would have a melt down if something came up that wasnt planned they wouldnt know how to deal with it.

Anonymous May 9, 2012 at 7:57 am

I’m sooo in! I’m one of those people that does everything at the last minute and tells every one that I work better like that. Maybe I do but I’m so tired of it. I’m left NY where I have to juggle twenty things at once real fast and moved south where a slower pace is appreciated by most. My life has never been organized and has always been cluttered. This year I turned 50 (a very young 50), we moved south and bought a brand new house that is already unorganized. We got rid of a lot of things but I still have 60 boxes in the garage to go through and reorganize every cupboard and every closet. We also waste a lot of money on take-out cause I can’t plan a meal. All this has to change! I want to enjoy life and feel accomplished at home. I’ve tackled marriage, career, kids, I need to to tackle my house and my life.

Mary P May 9, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I am 63. In 1979 I began with a very messy home, very messy finances,a very messy life and 2 (then,soon to be 3) small children. Day by day, bit by bit I accomplished these things. (Okay, forget the gym thing) We used a cycle menu, everything decluttered, clean home, clean closets, file system and finances in order. To Do List, Contact List, and Calendar in hand. Over time it is doable. BUT since people are involved and everything is not covered in plastic it has to be done over and over and over again. Armed with determination and a sense of humor–you can do it. Don’t hate me because I

Mary P May 9, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Don’t hate me because I am so average and if I can do it, you can, too.

Becky May 10, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I totally bought it and was waiting for the magic recipe… so funny thanks for the laugh and for the reality check :)

Chellie Lynn May 11, 2012 at 2:47 am

Take a deep breath, there’s nothing wrong with a little chaos. You don’t want to turn your life into a predictable bore, do you?!

chall12702 May 24, 2012 at 1:54 am

Um…yeah, well I totally fell for this thinking “finally someone did it! I want to know how!” lol but just so you get me I also fell for the “if you say gullible really slowly it sounds like oranges” rofl

Molly May 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm

The level of stress I would incure with a daily schedule as ridgid as the one you were wishfully imagining is intense. I was feeling stressed for you just reading this. Thank goodness it isn’t true.

Multi-Testing Mommy June 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Fabulous post – you had me the whole way….I kept reading and reading because I wanted to know exactly how you accomplished it all. It is doable, I bet, but man would it ever take a long time!

Anonymous June 9, 2012 at 10:55 am

Well that is all dandy, but what about your SHTF plan? If you are going to dream about it don’t forget that :) LOL…like the others you had me hook line and sinker. This is my first time here. Love the laughter…need more of it.

PS Do you have a SHTF plan? eg: A fire/ flood/ disaster means you have to evacuate, your family and anything you may need to take in 10 minutes! Shelter, food, drinks, change of clothes, first aid kit, enough fuel to drive a ways without stopping for fuel etc. OR You and your family are stuck at home eg: quarantined/ cut off by floods etc. Do you have extra drinking and washing water, lighting, radio, blackout supplies, food etc. I say this because we Mums often forget to plan for that sort of thing. But it is just as important as having clean socks and underwear for everyone we wash for isn’t it !

Theresa VegGal June 9, 2012 at 9:23 pm

This was almost exactly the inspiration I needed. I’ve actually been working on doing most of all this already. My first step was to have the menu w/ grocery list, then I started going through every closet and getting rid of things. I even got rid of things that others would say “yes but you might need 1 more blanket, what if all the ones you have are dirty?” to that I said , then I’ll do laundry (which will take less time b/c I can’t put it off by using just one more blanket). Then I went through and got rid of a lot of toys, even perfectly good toys. One of my kids is still only 9mths old, but I got rid of things that he is still to small to play with simply because I know between the 3 birthdays, Christmas, & other gifts from grandparents my kids will have plenty of new things to do throughout the year. The only thing I don’t do is keep my house “Showcase” clean. Walk in any day and you will find food, toys, and clothes throughout the house. Dirty dishes will be in the sink and on the table. At night I will wash the dishes and clean up the food, but I only pick up the toys on the day’s I’m going to vacuum. I’d love to hear if you or anyone else follow’s through on all of this. I feel like I’m one of very few parents that actually want’s to be organized with less…I actually even recently joined a gym!

Jill June 16, 2012 at 12:21 am

One step at a time! It motivates me to want to get a little more organized in some areas!

meera June 16, 2012 at 3:50 am

YOU HAD ME!!1 I hated you until I read the last line and then Laughed out Loud and fell in love with you….boy, i thought you had my life, not fair

Anonymous June 24, 2012 at 3:12 am

All of that can be done with an iPhone :)

Anonymous June 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I was just impressed that you could think of all the stuff you needed to do. I would be happy just to get a list going! I can’t seem to think of where I would even start if I were to get that organized. I loved the joke, made me laugh outloud.

Jenifer June 25, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I found your link on pinterest…thought “oh, let’s see what this means to her” and popped over. I got about half way though your list and thought “Damn, I need to be on her mailing list!” So I found your facebook button, liked it and went back to finish reading your post. I was totally buying it…wondering if you sent the fam out of state to get it all done or what! Then you woke up and I thought “oh, she’s good. I need to be on her mailing list.” :)

Now I know that someone else out there dreams like I do! :) (I do have to admit that a seed of doubt popped up with the 90-day mealplan…that is just crazy!) :)

Thanks!! I look forward to getting to know you!

maggie_jar June 25, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I absolutely loved your post And your blog:-)
I see now that I am not the only one struggling to have everything done…..

Anonymous June 26, 2012 at 4:56 am

I was thinking TyPe A lol Im always so hard on myself that I dont have it all together thanks for the laugh

Anonymous June 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Even though its a pipe dream it still inspired me to get rid of the junk. And why don’t they have a gym with good day care?

G. Salbashian June 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm

details?

Tiffany Medrano June 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm

At first I thought well, someone is living the dream…. lol. It’s still inspiring though. Thanks for the post!

Anonymous June 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm

To be honest i dont think i would want to be that organized… Wheres the fun and out of the blue… We love adventures and i would hate to have to schedule them… Now to have my house more organized would be awesome… Great trick though lol

Anonymous July 1, 2012 at 2:49 am

Hahaha!! This was great! It’s incredible how we all want to get the exact same things done. I was so anxious to finish reading to know how you’ve done it! I’m gonna use this as my to-do list, maybe I can get something organized around here!

Kirstin July 1, 2012 at 7:36 am

Thank you. I have just seen this on Pinterest having dumped my son in his high chair to watch TV and play with playdough. After an early morning wake up call I was just looking for 5 minutes peace. Thank you for making me belly laugh I really needed it!!!

Anonymous July 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

That was so funny, and I too began to hate you….so about 3/4 of the way through I started getting critical! I thought to myself—well you don’t need heaven, you’ve got it here on earth. What are you doing about your spiritual life—have you started teaching your children about Jesus? What about missions—now fancy pants get back up and start working!!! LOL As I read the comments I was laughing so hard I was crying!!! This would be a great April Fools Day Joke!!!!

Anonymous July 1, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Haha I loved your list, even if it was a dream. I am in the middle of (or maybe just at the beginning, I’m not sure … ) a MAJOR Pinterest-inspired organizing event, I mean that includes purging unused/unnecessary/no longer wanted or needed junk from my attic, putting shelves up in my attic to hold all the plastic bins that already hold my painfully organized Christmas/Holiday crap,etc., organizing and simplifying my filing system (I used to keep all paid bills for 6 months to a year … WHY?), starting a small-scale “extreme coupon”-type pantry in my hall closet, searching for a cute way to organize my son’s school stuff when he starts Kindergarten this year. I also want to organize my recipes and do the menu-planning for 30-60 days ahead of time. I am actually having a ball doing all of this hahaha and I always get giddy when I come across sites like yours!

Anonymous July 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I know I’m so crazy late to the party, but I can’t tell you how much that post helped me. Every day I beat myself up because I always think how much easier my life would be if I had systems like that, and how I must be a failure for not being able to get them all set up. (All while working full-time and chasing after a 2 and 4 year old.) It really helps to know that I’m a “normal” (really?) mom and that not everyone else is perfect…

Mac_gal July 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm

As I read your article, I began to think what drugs you were on. I didn’t think anyone could accomplish such things. Ha, ha, ha, the joke was on me!!!!! I am really impressed with the ideas here. Thanks for your site!

HausOfMordollwen July 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Hi! I have just discovered your blog and I am unbelievably excited to read all of it! I am sure it is going to be extremely useful and give me some ideas for when I’ll get married and have kids.

I also think I’ll pick some of the points in your article above to accomplish myself, and try to right it the way you did to help me visualize the results that I want to achieve.

Great posts and great blog!

Phoenix September 6, 2012 at 9:20 pm

This was a cruel joke!lol I was getting excited. I was just as excited as if it were my own life! My goodness. This is my dream. Thanks for mentioning Evernote! Looks like that app is going to be a great big help for me thought. I guess some good did come of your dream!

Peace

April September 16, 2012 at 11:11 pm

What a cruel cruel joke!! You really had me going i was so full of hope.. had i finally met the dream mommy… the mommy mentor that i could aspire to be like?? Well at least its good to know im not alone on this journey to organize my entire life and family :)

Maggie September 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I crave order, but as I read through that list, my mind recoiled in horror. “Oh my word.” I thought,”I couldn’t be this persons friend. She’s just too… organized and structured.” Thank the sweet baby Jesus it was all a dream.

Melissa September 19, 2012 at 6:45 am

All I could think as I read this is this must have taken months to get done. Haha. I was really jealous with the digital pictures too. My cameras memory card is full and then there’s a ton of pictures on the computer I haven’t even added online yet. I keep putting it off which is just making it worse! I’m glad to see I’m not alone.

Barbara September 23, 2012 at 11:34 am

It’s a rainy day here in Surrey UK , I’m watching Groundhog Day and was thinking of how it would be great as a working Mum,( by that I mean one who also works outside home:-)) to find more tips for being ultra organised! You’ve really made me smile , thank you!

Jen Mullen September 25, 2012 at 6:33 am

HA! That was brilliant! As I sat here in my robe with my coffee and teenagers running out the door for school and yesterdays mail on the counter, I thought to myself…”Self, you have GOT to be more like this chick! LOL…jokes on me

Shawna September 27, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Wow, I was just seriously depressed there for a minute. I thought-what the HECK is wrong with me…..all these other women seem to be able to get everything done and I can’t seem to get anything done. Thanks for the reality check. I don’t feel quite so bad anymore and maybe there is hope that all of us will wake up one day and that will be our reality.

joelle September 28, 2012 at 9:24 am

wow … u really had me there !!!! halfway thru i was already depressed thinking how come i never have any of these things done :) and JUST READING all the things u said u did got ME TIRED …… Glad to know ure normal just like the rest of us :)

joya

Emily September 30, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Haha, cute!! Really that would be too robotic to have every moment of the day planned. 50 % of that would be great though!!

Tracy October 8, 2012 at 10:36 am

I want to thank you actually. I am now in the middle of creating my budget, printing off my credit report so I can organize and fix my debt and making a weekly schedule. Thank jebus my baby wanted to nap before we go pick up the 4 year old from school. <3 Much love!

Mel webber October 22, 2012 at 8:42 am

Hahaha the jokes on me!! That is my obsession, having all my belongings neat and clutter free. Doesn’t help that I live with 3 messy people.
I was reading and experiencing an emotional roller coaster. Excitement (someone had achieved my dream and it was possible!), then jealousy ( on pretty organised, why haven’t I achieved this yet), then surprisingly sadness – what a sad situation where there is no room for mess at all, no spontaneity, no impulsiveness. No more searching for missing things and elation when you find them. No jubilation when you create something out of scraps because you through anything surplus to the local thrift shop.
Then finally relief, that your aspirations remain the same as mine, just aspirations we both will probably never fully achieve, but we’ll have fun trying and rejoice when we occasionally achieve one from our list!

Jessica Herold October 24, 2012 at 10:25 am

You were my hero for like a full minute while I read that intro. Then I hated you for about 2 seconds because you snapped me back to the actual truth that it is impossible for anyone to be that organized and sane at the same time. Now, I am just happy to have found a kindred spirit. I’ll be back for more….promise.

Lana November 1, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Thank you for being such an inspiration! I am taking this project on as well (but with a little slower pace). I even blogged it at http://365daysofmotherhood.blogspot.nl/2012/11/doing-some-autumn-cleaning.html

Keeping my fingers crossed that I get as much results as you did! Thanks again for motivating me in this direction!

Shannon Hazleton November 4, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Whew! I only got through half your list before I was overwhelmed at your perfection and nearly clicked off the blog just before I spied that it was all a dream! haha

Well good. If a *normal* person can get more organized, maybe I can too! :)

JO November 16, 2012 at 12:57 am

You had me going – half way down the list I decided I don’t like this woman! By the end – I really like this woman! I’m trying to de-clutter my house as well but I live with a man and children who seem to love clutter…I’ll be checking out your blog for inspiration..

Morro December 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

You only have 2000 digital photos? How long have you been a parent? :-) Seriously, I had to just delete all my blurry ones because my disk was getting full, so I got it down from 38,000 to 35,000. Hey, wait, that means I had more BLURRY photos than you have PHOTOS. Gack! :-)

Nora December 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Thank you for sharing that!

Olivia December 30, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Like everyone else here, you had me sitting there, bug eyed while reading, my mouth half open :) I was thinking “How in HECK could ANY of this EVER happen?! To SOMEONE ELSE?!?! RAGH!!!! But then, you woke up, & I was like “Never mind :)”. Your mind is cruel, lol. How could it do that to you? To us ALL?!

Debra January 1, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Ha! Before I got to the end I started thinking, no way, this is too much! I just couldn’t live that way. Whatever happened to doing things on a whim or the spur of the moment.

Jan January 4, 2013 at 8:03 am

Oh my gosh! I was so wanting to be you and was making a mental note of where I was going to start and still have time to sleep! You painted such a nice picture, I think I should at least attempt to clean out one junk drawer!

Kat January 7, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Oh my goodness…I feel for it!
You would make a great writer some day if you don’t already do this.

On the other hand, your post made me want to get up and get this done, today!

Matti January 9, 2013 at 1:23 am

At first I hated you, thn I was hopeful that if you could do it then maybe I could do it too. Oh well, I guess we all just keep plugging along then…bummer.

Amy benson January 22, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I was thinking wow!! Then I thought , tell me how the heck to do all that with four girls at home and one in the hospital and we are2 hours apart. Reality check !!!! Martha , like others have said, can be so organized cause she has so many others helping her out and she doesn’t have five daughters and one of them has health issues!! That would be great but let’s be realistic , life is always adding unexpected turns in our lives. We struggle in our society about comparing ourselves to each others and when we stop doing that, which I do at times, we will enjoy and realize we are all in different stages and circumstances.. And it’s ok!!!!!!

leslie January 23, 2013 at 1:36 pm

You know…some one, some where is actually living like that! Curse them!!

looloo March 3, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Wow, so glad I read to the end, I almost quit, never to revisit you again. lol.

Melissa March 9, 2013 at 10:16 pm

As a mom of 3 grown children, and having lost one, please don’t worry about being organized or ready for everything. Just love your children, hold them close and live every moment as if it were the last. They won’t ever care if you were organized or if everything was clean and perfect. All they will remember is your love , caring, understanding, tenderness and how you made them feel. The rest is superfluous and immaterial. Here’s to raising the next generation of wonderful human beings!

Sondra March 12, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Ladies, it can be done! I would love to be like this again! I was once, then I had child #2, and then 3 and it hasn’t been the same since. I have to say I had more patience and sanity and even fun back then (when it was an oraganized house) Now i feel like I am sinking, even with the few organizational things that I have carried on with since then! I dont know if I could find my way back there but I think I might try!

june March 23, 2013 at 2:10 pm

brilliant…I mean, I’ve not even THOUGHT about organizing half of those…. Funny and helpfull!!!

Jillian March 23, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Man did you get me!!!! I was thinking you had at least 3 nannies and one child!!!! You’re good, real good:)
Jillian

mamaw March 25, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Don’t you just know what someone would be worth that could come into your life and home and do all this stuff for you. Its a good thing that wants won’t kill you, cause we would all be dead.

Pattie March 30, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Wow…………I would like to get organized but your dang dream has worn me out!

Mary April 15, 2013 at 2:38 am

Marisa over at Creative Thursday has a podcast on doing JUST this with her life. Great listen.

Thanks for the reminder to get to it.

Mary May 11, 2013 at 10:14 am

I was hoping at the end there would be a link for the Genie’s email address, or a recipe for the magic potion. Completely fooled. But all very enticing. I am always trying to do all of these things………… I guess we all are.

Bridget June 1, 2013 at 5:09 am

I just came across your site for the first time tonight as I sat here, yes it really is almost 3am here, with my seemingly never ending to-do list running through my head. I am the wife of an offshore paramedic (which means playing the role of a single mom a lot) and the mother of three children ranging in age from two months to soon to be six years. I am also a college student in addition to wife and mommy, but at least I am no longer working crazy hours on an ambulance. I am so excited about trying some of the tips and ideas that you have posted on here. Right now our tiny townhouse looks like the scene of some natural disaster and between switching to full time student from full time job and the addition of another child, I am looking forward to trying some of the money saving ideas as well! So thank you, thank you, and thank you again for having started this brilliant life organization project. I just finished my spring semester, so hopefully I can use this summer break with the kids to establish some organization and more structure in our home.

Elena June 7, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Don’t you just hate dreams like that! This is too funny (one of those things you gotta laugh at or your might just cry right)? By the way, I found you on Unskinny Boppy and I’m glad I did! This was a great post :o) Oh, and Happy Friday!

Renee June 16, 2013 at 12:03 am

I’m pissed!!! I totally believed you and was soooo excited that it was actually possible. Boo…lol.

Mary June 19, 2013 at 3:04 am

Funny! But seriously if you were to scan all your photos would you keep the real photos? I spent a year scanning all of mine – my kids told me they didn’t want them when I croaked and they were just going to burn them….thus the scan job, to get even with them. This way they are on the internet forever. BUT I dont have the heart to toss all the photos….I have photos dating back to 1880. Seriously I do. My mom gave me hers which were handed down from her mother. It takes BOXES to store these….shall I take them somewhere and have a big bonfire and get rid of them now?

Nancy June 20, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Loved this! I was sooo jealous!

Gwen June 24, 2013 at 11:26 am

I took the bait! I was thinking how in the world did she get all of this done. How long did it take? What did she do with her family while accomplishing all this? What is she going to do now?

Karin A. June 29, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I was to the point of coming to LIVE with you to learn how to do all that!

Syndee July 7, 2013 at 2:07 am

I was pretty sure you were either smoking crack or doing Meth. LOL!

Tiffani July 16, 2013 at 2:10 am

Okay…that is my list! You totally had me fooled! I read it three times…totally disappointed! I thought you had a magic wand and had figured it all out! So sad :(((

Roma July 26, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Buenas Sólo quería hacerte saber que algunas de las fotos no se cargan adecuadamente.
He probado en dos navegadores diferentes y todos dan los mismos resultados .

Christine August 18, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Haha! I was ready to ask how you did it!! I guess we all dream about it

Jackie August 29, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I swallowed that “hook, line & sinker”! Actually, was relieved that I could stop holding my breath when I got to the end! HAHA Think I’ll follow you & see if I can get close to that dream-state in real life. ;)

Caroline September 1, 2013 at 2:02 am

I was halfway through your list, and I stopped, thinking, “I don’t think I like this woman,” and then I skimmed ahead and saw your “dream” line. I almost laughed out loud, and then went back and enjoyed the rest of your list. You’re hilarious, and pretty organize for real too, I’ll bet

Screendoorgirl 3 September 4, 2013 at 7:50 am

So funny! I had this pinned to my “Read Later” board and finally got to it. It started out interesting , then got a bit creepy.. Thanks for the chuckle. I think we all do our best each day. Some days (lives) are more organized than others!

nicole September 12, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Thank you making me feel so much better about all toys, crap and did I mention toys scattered through every room of my house (except fot the toilet!!). I feel like less of an utter failure and more like a normal mum now. Awesome blog :)

Amelia September 17, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Funny how when we read something like this the whole super-mom/wife/perfect Martha Stewart organized life fantasy reveals itself for what it truly is: unattainable and acually quite laughable. Life is not meant to be this way…..we are not robots & trying to control ever little detail of your life, your childrens lives and your married life is only going to let you down. Suddenly, it doesn’t look so appealing.
Now, there is nothing wrong with organization and trying to stay on top of budgets and schedules but I found it interesting how while I read this I actually found myself changing my mind. First I was impressed & a little jealous, then I felt guilty for not having my life in that kind of order and then I was like “for real?!…..I dont want to live like that!!”
Thank you for the reality check!

Suzie O October 29, 2013 at 2:56 am

Oh my! How my inner Domestic Goddess relished this article! Loved the surprise ending, thanks for the laugh!

Paige December 8, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Oh my goodness! You were going to be the answer to my dreams!! Glad to know you followed up with some material – I’ll be checking that out right now. :)

Blanche December 19, 2013 at 9:26 am

Hi, I found your website over Pinterest and I am amazed! It is awesome!
I will spend hours here !

Karen December 27, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Hahahaha! That was awesome! I totally was wondering “Man, how does she DO that?! Maybe I could do it too!!” I kind of wish it hadn’t been just a dream because it was pretty stinkin’ inspiring. :^)

Janice January 10, 2014 at 7:10 am

I did organize the house this way. unfortuneately, by the time I was done, the kids had grown up and moved out! all we need is a young family to step in and buy the house!

Shirley Burdick January 28, 2014 at 5:59 am

Haha! I’m getting organized (new house 1 yr ago) but kids are grown and not working (but very busy life) so easier for me. Maybe it will even stay that way! Sure was surprised at the end! Just have to send this along!!

Emily January 28, 2014 at 8:35 am

I love this! I seriously will frame this and have it on my wall as a reminder. <3

Evie January 28, 2014 at 11:56 am

I actually wanted to cry. A stream of emotions went through me in that small amount of time. I was relieves when I saw it wasn’t true. :)

Pat Crawford January 29, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Ha ha….I was beginning to wonder. I lived very true to what you had printed back in the 80′s with my 3 little ones. I had the house was so clean and in order and our kids we always neat and tidy, they squeaked! I learned the hard way, that keeping life so perfect is unrealistic! I had what they call a miny breakdown…..I was in bed rest for 2 months after our third was born….
I learned never to worry about that level of perfectionism and to stay organized only to enjoy Life.
In 1994 I opened up a company called Organize It, Etc! I decided to take a neurosis and make it into a money making business. I have a full calendar of clients every month 20 years later and love what I do!!!! I love being imperfect but organized enough in an Imperfect World!
Enjoy!

Gloria Borrero May 2, 2014 at 12:00 am

It is 3:00 a.m., and I could not fall asleep, so I decided to look through Pinterest. Your pin caugt my attention, and I am glad it did. I litterally thoughr, ‘wow, what a wonder woman, I admire her , butwhen I got to the end I died laughing. You might not be totally organized, but you can write a good story. :-) Thanks for the laugh, I needed it right now.

Shonna May 23, 2014 at 4:37 pm

You were almost my hero and at the same time I almost hated you. It was such a lovely dream while it lasted….

Kay June 17, 2014 at 11:17 am

It’s not nice to tease mommies-to-be like that! I was getting excited!!! XD Funny though, this post is kind of inspiring (:

kerry July 8, 2014 at 8:09 am

That just made me depressed you had me fooled and even after realising it wasnt true i stil felt depressed because i know i could never do this but i wish i could (with a littlte flexability) buuut also the photos make me sad i have so many digital photos on usbs or harddrives and what for… no one sees them :(

MarieRoxanne August 11, 2014 at 9:09 am

I loved reading this! Thank you!

Google August 20, 2014 at 10:10 am

Hello! I could have sworn I’ve been to this web site before but after going through a few of the posts I realized it’s new
to me. Anyways, I’m certainly delighted I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and
checking back often!