Great projects for gardening inside when the weather's bad.  We're gonna try the terrariums this weekend!

Good Idea: Bring the Garden Inside

I’m so over winter.  Seriously, I feel like we’ve done the cold and snow thing enough already – I’m jonesing to get outside with the kids and start growing stuff.  Judging by the hail that’s currently pelting my backyard (and the snow that fell yesterday), Mother Nature does not share my sentiments.

On to plan B then.  If we can’t cultivate anything outside just yet (or at least attempt to cultivate – I’ve been cursed with a bit of a black thumb I’m afraid), then we’ll do it in the kitchen instead.  We could start simple with a few seeds and some pots on the windowsill but I’m envisioning something more interesting for me and the kids.  Something like this…

Have any of you ventured into the world of succulents or terrariums with your little ones?  I did a round up last year of kid-friendly Etsy container gardens but never actually found the time to put one together.  Something about this DIY Indoor Succulent Garden is beckoning me to make it happen this year (I’ll be honest, it’s probably the dinosaurs).  According to The Creative Mama, succulents are “the absolute easiest way to bring the outdoors in without much maintenance or thought”.

Sounds like a project that has my name written all over it.  If you’re digging it too (I know, I’m sorry), check out their post for a detailed tutorial.  Then click through for two three more easy projects (I know the pretty picture at the top of this post said 3 projects, there was a last minute addition – bonus for you!)

Along the same lines as a succulent garden, is the terrarium.  I enjoy the ship-in-a-bottle feel of these guys and I think the kiddos would too.  One of my favorite bloggers, Stephanie of Stephmodo, has a sort of on-going love affair with terrariums.  Check out her posts for tips on how to replicate her zen creations.

Of course if you really want to plant a few herbs, that can be a nice kiddo project too.  If you have older siblings around you could even put them to work making several of these interesting polygon paper vases.

Veggie garden sensory play bin for the littles (free printables too!)

And if you’re less concerned with actually sprouting something and just want a way to get the children prepped for gardening season, why not spend a rainy afternoon putting together and playing with my DIY Sensory Veggie Garden?

Will you, or have you, tried any of these indoor gardens?  Any other inside planting projects that went over like gangbusters with the kids?  I’d love it if you’d share with us in the comments!

Similar Stuff:

We're teaming up with Dyson to help you get your home clean & organized.

This week, win ALL of MPMK's eBooks & Printables!

MPMK Printables & eBooks

a Rafflecopter giveaway

thenoble5 February 28, 2012 at 4:59 am

i have been waiting to get to the city to purchase some small pea gravel for my boys to dig in- (keep in a shallow storage bin) but i never thought of this for them! it looks like fun for all of us, i might have to change my plans.

property dealer in Delhi February 28, 2012 at 5:44 am

nice post i like it

se7en February 28, 2012 at 7:40 am

We haven’t tried a succulent garden yet – love the idea!!!! But during the winter we always keep a vegetable garden growing on the windowsill… easy for kids and quick results!!! Here’s a link to our window sill garden: http://www.se7en.org.za/2011/03/08/saturday-spot-se7en-things-in-our-windowsill-garden-right-now

cecilia February 28, 2012 at 6:18 pm

love those paper vases. we need an herb garden…

Karla February 28, 2012 at 7:00 pm

I can’t even seem to grow chives in my house this winter. It’s pathetic. Not sure I can handle even this! Neat post though. Love the dinosaurs too. Kinda makes that one. :-)

Megan February 28, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I love the succulents with the dinosaurs! It makes me smile everytime I look at it! I’m so going to do it with my boys!

Teena March 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I love succulents! I am making an easter lenten garden. Ann Voskamp shared years ago and i just love it.

It is hard to find succulents here in S. Georgia…. mainly b/c people do not know what they are!

Thanks for sharing!

Teena March 13, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for sharing!

Delhi Escorts March 27, 2012 at 8:53 am

It’s Nice pics post, This post is a excellent example of such kind of story.
Delhi Escorts

Delhi Escorts April 10, 2012 at 7:53 am

This is very attention-grabbing, You’re an excessively professional blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to in the hunt for extra of your excellent post. Additionally, I have shared your web site in my social networks. escorts in delhi

Aria February 20, 2013 at 1:46 am

This is a very impressive blog and some good ideas in your post. Thanks for the good content.

Sylvia April 6, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Would you mind if I quote a several of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources returning to
your blog: http://www.modernparentsmessykids.

com/2012/02/good-idea-bring-garden-inside.
html. Please let me know if this is ok with you. Thanks!

Steph (MPMK Founder) April 6, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Hi Sylvia,

It depends on the length as Google doesn’t like duplicate content on the web but a short quote with a link and credit should be fine. Thanks for asking!

~Steph