DIY reusable to-do list. A great way to stay organized.

DIY Reusable To-Do List

Today I’m sharing with you the full post of an organizational DIY I did over at U-Create a while back.  Hopefully it’ll get you moving in the right (orderly) direction.  You’ll only need five minutes and three simple items: a stack of colorful sticky notes, a marker, and a shadow box.  I got my shadow box from Ikea (it measures 19.5″ square) but, as I’m sure you all know,  they can be found at any local craft store.

DIY reusable to-do list. A great way to stay organized.
Start by labeling your top row of sticky notes.  I used the headings: Now, This Week, This Month, Whenever, and Someday because I liked how they covered all my bases.  A nice variation would be to make a calendar for weekly activities or meal planning.  (P.S. If you’re wondering about the title of this post, the inspiration for the project was a sticky note to-do list I spied on pinterest.  I loved the look but wasn’t a fan of how much paper would be wasted by actually using it long term – so I put the sticky notes behind glass and opted to use a dry-erase marker.)

Next lay out your sticky notes in a grid.  I used the backing that came with the frame as my background but you could also go with some colored poster board.  Also, I just eye-balled it… if the idea of that makes you a little twitchy, feel free to use a ruler for perfect spacing.

DIY reusable to-do list. A great way to stay organized.
Once you have the layout the way you like it, I would recommend using some glue to reinforce everything.
DIY reusable to-do list. A great way to stay organized.
That’s it (five minutes was probably an over-estimate).  Just hang it on the wall and feel the weight being lifted off your shoulders as you instantly morph into a more organized, and all-around better, person.  Also, don’t forget to store a small dry erase marker on top for easy access.

Busy as a Bee in Paris November 8, 2011 at 12:36 pm

love it! pinned!

Cecilia November 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm

fantastic idea! And i can’t wait for the rest of the details…

Candice November 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I LOVE cleaning/organizing weekends, aka – my time to regroup… Our family is also about two hours away so we try to send the kids down a couple times a year. It is amazing how much I can get done without Captain Destructo and his sidekick (the tiny tornado)around :)

alivingfamily.com November 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I am in the process of organizing my house, too! Baby #2 is on the way and I need there to get rid of toys, books and clothes we don’t want, store in a logical manner the things that I want to have to rotate in or keep for later, and create a system with bins and labels/clear purpose for all the stuff that is out. My goal is to have everything clear enough that my daughter and whoever comes to my house knows where everything goes…….and that there is just less stuff around to begin with!

I agree completely that I feel lighter and happier just being in my more organized space. (Good thing, too, because this baby is just weeks from coming into our arms!) Can’t wait to see your posts with the “gory details.” I’m too embarassed to have taken the before/after pictures I thought of doing……

Bonnie_Projects November 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Does the dry erase really work on glass? What a cute idea!

madilla December 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Ha! I thought my family living 45 min away is far! Guess in the US distance is a different matter.
Love the idea and how easy it looks!

Gaby @ Tmuffin December 30, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I love the sticky note to-do chart. I took it one step further and made a big one for the wall in my kitchen/living room out of scrapbook paper. (I couldn’t find my sticky notes.) I wrote a tutorial on my blog today!

Thanks for the idea!

Kirsten March 12, 2013 at 10:06 am

I love this idea! I’ve been trying to come up with an inexpensive and eco friendly way of creating something like this that didn’t also look tacky. Thanks!