featuredcookiecutterpumpkin4

We Tried It! – Cookie Cutter Pumpkins

I’m back with another installment of the “We Tried It!” series.  I got the idea for cookie cutter pumpkin carving here and it was a huge hit with the kiddos.  I love how this method lets you easily create a high end look in whatever theme your kids are currently interested in.  We went with a pretty random motif of animals, an airplane, and a guitar.  Next year maybe we’ll experiment with letters.

To begin, carve out the pumpkin guts and select a few of your favorite cookie cutters.  (We got ours for a dollar each a while ago at Sur la table.  They were bought for birthday cookies, have since been part of our play dough tool kit, and today were utilized to carve pumpkins.  I love it when a purchase gets used in so many ways – especially if it was only a buck!)  Position them on the pumpkin and tap lightly with a rubber mallet.

Then hand the mallet over to you kids and let the good times roll.

Once the cookie cutter is all the way through, it’s time to get out a knife. (Obviously, this is an adults only step.)  At first we removed the cookie cutter and carved as the original post advised.  But eventually we found it worked better to keep the cookie cutter in place while hacking away at the inside.

Once the carving is done, add a candle and you’re good to go.  The kids loved the pumpkin itself but what C really dug were the projections of the carvings up onto the wall.  I highly recommend getting yourself some cookie cutters and trying this one out.  It makes for an extremely easy carving process and a very cool end product.

P.S. Want more simple ways to make memories with the kids this year?  Check out our new eBook!

Hands-On Holidays: Simple Ways to Make Memories October through December - Can't wait to use this eBook with the kids this year!

POYEL ebook and printablessign up for the newsletter and get a free 6 week meal plan

Busy as a Bee in Paris October 24, 2011 at 6:06 am

now that’s a brilliant idea! we wanted to carve pumpkins with printable patterns, but our printer broke! this is a very clever back-up plan! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous October 24, 2011 at 8:23 am

Dang- will have to remember this for next year, our pumpkins are already done.
Super cute!!!!!

joliluja October 25, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I just wanted to say I think your blog is great! I like it so much I put your website on my blog roll!

Lisa

joliluja.wordpress.com

Sue October 26, 2011 at 1:31 am

My twin 2.5 year olds and I did this today using a farm animal theme. Thank you for such a great idea that I could do to include the girls!

Busy as a Bee in Paris October 26, 2011 at 8:59 am

pinned! and i just saw this featured on design mom! wow, congrats!

superfood sisters October 27, 2011 at 6:33 pm

What a great idea! I never would of thought to do this! My four year old wants to try using the knife and I am not ready for that! But she would enjoy banging a cookie cutter into the side of her pumpkin just as much!

TamraK October 30, 2011 at 9:42 pm

We tried this today. Either we are not as strong as you or our cookie cutters are not as sharp, because we couldn’t get any of the cutters even started into the pumpkin! We don’t have a rubber mallet so I used a hammer. Still no luck. Finally, we traced around the cookie cutters and cut the shapes with a knife. Looks cute!

angry birds rio October 31, 2011 at 8:22 am

So cute! thanks for sharing.

equipo: Hannah/Noah/Hilke November 2, 2011 at 11:02 am

What a nice website you have!!
I will pass by more often.
Thanks

Paula @ Frosted Fingers October 22, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Such a great idea!! We’re carving this week and I think I’ll let the kids give this a try!