|photos clockwise from upper left: Home & Harmony, Parents.com, giver’s log, Swiss Miss, and The Handmade Home|
|photo via Home & Harmony|
- Have a countdown – Doing an advent-calendar type countdown to the big day seemed, at first, like overkill to me. I’m already worried about more toys invading the house without adding a bunch of extra trinkets to the mix. But then I saw this lovely idea of filling each day’s pocket with a note from friends and family on what they love most about the birthday child. So, so sweet. (P.S. if you have an older child celebrating a milestone birthday, then countdown gifts may be in order. See this Make and Takes post on a very cool way to do it.)
|photos via Parents.com and giver’s log|
- Incorporate a surprise – Everyone loves a birthday surprise and I’ve got 3 great ones to try. First is this suggestion by Parents.com to sneak in at night and fill the special child’s room with balloons while they sleep (check out the link for other great ideas too). Second is this idea to send your child a special corsage at school to wear all day long. I love the reader story and the lovely corsage featured in this post. And third is this hilarious doorway streamer project that allows the birthday kid to make a grand entrance to his or her special day.
|photos via The Handmade Home and Swiss Miss (via A Cup of Jo)|
- Have some yummy treats – No birthday is complete without something sweet! So start the day with sprinkle pancakes. Or end it by serving cupcakes with personalized photo toppers. And don’t forget to serve your goodies up on a “your are special today” plate.
P.S. Looking for more ways to simplify and save time so you can connect with your family? Follow these 3 steps:
1) Check out our "Save Your Fall" bundle: over 50 pages of 2015 daily/weekly/monthly planners, cleaning schedules, meal planners, kids’ routine charts, budgeting sheets and much more PLUS 84 pages of kid activities perfect for spring break!
2) Sign up for our newsletter:
3) Bookmark our famous Gift Guides for the next time you need the perfect kids' gift! (350+ detailed descriptions including age recommendations)