My kids can't decide which is cooler, magnetic silly putty or hot lava science

More Science at Home

I thought now might be a good time to sharpen up our science skills. (Plus, the last science at home post was a big hit.)  So today I’ve rounded up 10 more experiments sure to surprise and delight your kiddos. In no particular order, here they are:

#1 – 5: Reactions! Fun Science Activities that Fizz, Foam, and Pop!
My Pal Amanda over at Not Just Cute has five fun experiments to “keep kids enthralled and provide plenty of opportunities for learning through questions, experimentation, and play!”.  Head over for ideas on fizzy paint, film canister rockets and more.

#6: Cartesian Diver
Use this classic DIY sink or float toy to teach your kids about bouyancy and how the principle applies to fish and submarines.

#7: “Dinosaur” Excavation for Kids
Nurture the paleontologist in your little one with this clever archeological dig activity.

#8: Hot Lava Science
This DIY lava is a slight twist on the classic vinegar and baking soda volcano.

#9: Does it Dissolve?
A simple toddler experiment that introduces the scientific method and uses some critical thinking skills. (A good variation of the popular “sink or float?” activity from the first roundup).

#10: DIY Magnetic Silly Putty
Saved the best for last. Magnetic silly putty, what more do I need to say? (This one will take some special materials but it might be worth it for a DIY toy that will be a hit with kids of all ages.)UPDATE: Check out my latest round up of home science finds.  Numbers one and five are on our playtime short list for this week!

Similar Stuff:

Having Fun with Science and Nature
Adding a Little Science to Playtime

P.S. New here? Don't miss "The Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle", available just once a year. It's a $1030 Value for only $29.97

SALE HAS BEEN EXTENDED FOR 12 HOURS ONLY - ENDS 9/16 12 PM PST!

Laura September 28, 2011 at 8:26 am

I want to make the silly putty magnet! That’s so cool.

Amanda @ Not Just Cute October 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Thanks for including me in your fun links!

Robyn and Henry October 20, 2011 at 8:22 am

The magnetic silly putty is insanely cool! Thanks for sharing.

Fun science experiments May 28, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Cool experiments! As a science teacher, I also find great ideas on http://www.experiland.com for my students. They have some really fun science experiments for kids to do at home as well and come highly recommended by other homeschooling sites! Their experiments are well laid out and easy to follow…Enjoy!

Jennifer May 22, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Terrific roundup! I’m pinning these to my blog board for The Jenny Evolution.

Lil June 18, 2013 at 11:52 am

Nice list, but I have to be picky: archaeologists study the material remains of human cultures (paleoarchaeologists look at fossilized remains of human culture, while forensic archaeologists look at human bones), and palentologists study “ancient life (not human)”, and are most well know for their study of dinosaur fossils.

Susan June 19, 2013 at 10:01 am

Im a big fan of your blog, but next time please include science experiment instructions along with theh experiment!
Thanks!

Steph (MPMK Founder) June 19, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Hi Susan,

Glad to hear you’re a fan :). Since this is a roundup of other folks’ work, I wouldn’t feel comfortable reprinting the full experiments. But the links are there for you to get all the info.

Thanks,
Steph

[GET] WP Premium Theme Eclipse and Samoa Mobile ready - Dev License Included DOWNLOAD July 31, 2013 at 1:12 pm

We stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I should check things out.

I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to exploring your web page for a second
time.

Chiennasse Sex May 2, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Il me tardе de lire le prochain ɑrticle