featured110811-polenta1

Kid Snack: Polenta Pizzas

A few of you have written me recently asking for some tot-friendly recipes so I thought I’d share one of our favorites.  I’m certainly no Rachael Ray but, like most moms, I do have a few go-to meals and snacks.  I’m hoping that if I share mine with you then you’ll reciprocate in the comments.  That way we’ll all have a new bag of tricks for meal time!

Head over to momtastic for the mini-tutorial on these mini-pizzas.  We love them because they’re simple and lightening fast.  My first thought was that they’d also be a great option for gluten-free families.  Then I realized that the cheese and sauce may contain gluten.  However, a little research revealed there are some gluten-free varieties so if anyone has some favorites please share!

POYEL ebook and printablessign up for the newsletter and get a free 6 week meal plan

Louisa August 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

One of my favorite snacks to share with kiddos is orange smoothies. They’re easy peasy, you just mix orange juice with vanilla yogurt. I often use plain yogurt and just add a splash of vanilla. You can just stir with a spoon making it easier than a traditional smoothie.

Toddler Approved August 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm

We been making frozen yogurt pops a lot. We also love spaghetti hot dogs… esp because the kiddos get to stick the spaghetti noodles through the hot dogs and then watch as the noodles get all wiggly after they are boiled.

Sangeetha August 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I puree veggies (carrots, green beans, spinach, squash – individually or even together if I feel like it) and freeze them as individual cubes. Then my go to meal is anything with these mixed in. I am terrible like that – i mix them with mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, spread them on taost with peanut butter or grilled cheese, pita bread pizza. Oh i feel so satisfied that my toddler had his veggies even if it is wtth lots of cheese!

Sangeetha August 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Love your blog btw…I mean to say that before I commented but got carried away seeing the recipe!

Karla August 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm

If you have any overripe fruit (canned fruit works if nothing is in season in your area), ice and some carrots you can make a great smoothie. Yogurt is optional. Puree the carrots and blend with other items. I’ve never made a smoothie without pureed carrots. My son doesn’t know the difference and I doubt you will either.

Growing up we made pizzas in the microwave using english muffins.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com August 12, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I esp. love that a lot of them include ways to sneak in veggies. My kids are great eaters except when it comes to that!

Karla – we did the english muffins too (broiled them in the oven).