featured450-audio-book

Quiet Time with Audio Books

photo via ohdeedoh

Now that we’re all rested from vacation, we’re ready to tackle some new routines around here.  My 2 (almost 3) year old is starting to drop his nap on occasion and I have a feeling he could be getting rid of it all together in the near future.That’s a problem because the kids’ nap time is mama’s work time!  Thankfully, I recently read this wonderful post on audio books and quiet time.  Then, on the very same day, ohdeedoh posted a top 10 list of audio books – I think someone’s trying to tell me something!
Do you use audio books with your young children?  Any favorites I should know about?

Similar Stuff:
MPMK’s Summer Reading List: Part 1 – Beginning Readers
Happy Birthday Eric Carle!
Read Across America Day in Honor of Dr. Seuss

P.S. New here? Don't miss "The Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle", available just once a year. It's a $1030 Value for only $29.97

SALE HAS BEEN EXTENDED FOR 12 HOURS ONLY - ENDS 9/16 12 PM PST!

Destri July 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm

We have the entire Curious George collection, and my kids love it. I love it because I can tolerate the voices…I am one of those mama’s ;).
We are nearing the no longer taking naps time too, and like you, that is when I work. AAccck!

Heather July 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Thanks! Great idea! We had IF YOU GIVE A MOUSE A COOKIE (and other stories) on CD and it’s terrific! There are cute songs to accompany the stories too.

amy (mamascout) July 27, 2011 at 1:55 pm

oh yes! we are addicted to audio books. we listen to them in the car – and it is amazing what my kids have learned from them. some favorites are: my father’s dragon, a wrinkle in time, original peter pan and the narnia series. i am sure my kids will love harry potter when they are a bit older.

Wendi July 27, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Do I use audio books! My daughter’s in cleaning her room while she listens to one right now. She listens to them all day long, in the background of whatever she’s doing AND she listens for at least an hour before bedtime every night. She’s 8 (almost 9) and still follows the routine we started when she was three. Bedtime is an hour before “light-off” time. For that hour she can listen to music or audio books while she does something quiet in bed (draw, write a letter, crochet, etc. Lately it’s making friendship bracelets.) After lights off she has to switch to soft music and go to sleep. That quiet time before she goes to sleep is GOLDEN. She hates to miss it; I love the extra hour it gives me every night – and I think it helps her to fall asleep easier. Her favorites used to be Magic Tree House, Junie B. Jones, Ramona, and the Fudge books. Now she usually listens to Harry Potter or Percy Jackson. The Spiderwick Chronicles are really excellent. She also likes Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, The Secrets of Droon, and lots of others. She wears out a CD player every year. Plus we read still read aloud to her every night and she reads plenty on her own. Audio books are expensive – but worth every penny.

Mary Ann July 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm

We introduced our 3-year-old daughter to audio books on a seven-hour car trip. She listened for several hours of the trip, which meant we didn’t resort to the DVD player until the last hour. She loved (and still does) stories from Frog and Toad, Francis and Lilly’s Day Out. She likes to listen to them when she’s hanging out in her room.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com July 27, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys – this idea sounds like a winner!

Wendi – I would LOVE to establish something like your bedtime routine around here once the kids are old enough.

SmartBear July 27, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Audio books are FANTASTIC in the car too! I haven’t checked out the list you referenced yet, but here are some of our favs:
Ferdinand the Bull by Munro Leaf
Peter and the Wolf (the tot LOVES the instruments and the music)
The Giant Jam Sandwich
And ANY of the SkippyJonJones books on CD. I consider myself a bit of a snob with kid books, but the Skippy Jon on audio are SO funny! My husband and I laugh out loud.
Going to check out the list you found.
Good luck on the napping!
Best,
Tina

Kristen @ Busy Kids = Happy Mom July 31, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Can’t say enough about Audio Books – I need to do a post on my favorite book CDS too! ;)

I’d say for the little ones my favorite is Paws and Tales from HisKidsRadio.net We’re also huge fans of Arthur, Ramona, A-Z mysteries, Narnia, My Father’s Dragon.

They have enhanced my children’s story comprehension, expanded their vocabulary, and introduced them to books that are at a higher level.

Love them!

We are able to get them from the library.

Kristen @ Busy Kids = Happy Mom July 31, 2011 at 7:40 pm
Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com August 1, 2011 at 4:59 am

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!

I was esp. excited to hear there are Skippy Jon Jones audio books – he’s a favorite of ours :)

Becky August 2, 2011 at 1:55 am

Brilliant idea. I just went to your link and saw that someone recommended http://www.sparklestories.com/. If you haven’t been over there, do!! I love it already.

Thanks for the tip!

Bed and Breakfast Brugge August 2, 2011 at 9:14 am

Beautiful Posting

Elizabeth Rodgers August 3, 2011 at 8:24 pm

We created an iPhone app with 30 of the best narrated audiobooks from Librivox.org. Classic children’s literature for 99 cents! Easy to use and we’ve done the legwork for you.

Created by a mom…