I don’t have a step-by-step tutorial for you today because all of the blankets you see here (plus a few more that were being washed) were lovingly whipped up by my mother-in-law and her BFF. She graciously walked me through the steps and assured me that this is a total beginner project. So here we go:
- Start with 2 pieces of fabric measuring 40″ square. This, I’m told, is the official size for achieving the perfect swaddle. As always, be sure to pre-wash and press your fabric before starting.
- Sandwich the 2 pieces of fabric together with the right sides of the fabric touching.
- Sew all the way around the square with a 1/4″ – 1/2″ allowance, leaving a small opening (about 6 inches or so) to turn the blanket right side out.
- Trim the corners so they’ll square off better and pull the blanket right side out through the opening.
- Top stitch the opening shut.
The last step is to use tapestry thread to add a blanket stitch around the edging. This detail is what really gives the blanket that “made with love” feel. The blanket stitch is not hard. I found a great collection of tutorials on several pretty versions for you here. It does take some though – it’s one of those activities you do while catching up on all the shows you have on your DVR but never get around to actually watching.
P.S. Looking for more ways to simplify and save time so you can connect with your family this year?
Check out the sale we're having on our "Kids' Responsibility & Money Management Kit" and "Project Organize Your ENTIRE Life's Planner Printables" - over 45 printable pages in all!
Register for our Free Parenting Webinar next week:
And sign up for our newsletter!