featuredEasterplasticeggsmom

Easter’s Over, Now What?

I know it’s been Easter-central here for about a month now.  I’m just about ready to put it to rest and move on to lots of new and interesting stuff for May, I promise.  But before I do, I’ve got one more post I know we could all use.  Because aren’t we all incessantly tripping over plastic Easter eggs, haphazardly strewn about the house, right about now?

And if you’re anything like me, you probably cringe a little at the thought of chucking all that plastic into a landfill somewhere (let’s not forget, it was just Earth Day on Friday).  My suggestion?  Gather them all up and store them with the toys that are currently out of rotation.  (Because we only keep out about 1/3 of our toys at a time and rotate them regularly – right? Sure we do.)  Then, the next time the kids are bored, set up an indoor egg hunt and let the good times roll.

If you want some ideas that are a little more immediate, I’ve rounded up 19 more exciting activities below.

First up is “10 fun learning games using plastic eggs” from Playing House.  I like this list because, as the title suggestions, it’s full of games that are both fun and educational.

Here’s a great letter recognition game from I can teach my child.

“Easter eggs – not just for hunting” at Creative Connections for Kids is another excellent list of stimulating games, art projects and crafts.

Finally, this last activity is a lot more open-ended – which is always the best way to play in my opinion.  Great for fostering creativity and incidental learning.  Check it out at The Imagination Tree.

RosannaRox April 25, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Thanks for Sharing; AWESOME IDEAS!!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com April 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Thanks Rosanna – it’s a rainy day here in Seattle and I think it’s supposed to stay that way all week. Looks like we’re gonna be putting these ideas to the test :).

Heather April 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I shared on my blog and facebook page.

Heather

Noelle April 25, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Wonderful ideas! Thanks for the inspiration, I made a set of the letter matching game eggs today! I also came up with my own idea, a Easter countdown calendar made with the eggs. You can check it out on my blog here:

Have a great day!

Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids April 26, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Thanks! I’ve so enjoyed reading your blog! What an awesome resource. :)

Becky April 28, 2011 at 1:17 am

Totally going to do the capital/lower case letters. THANKS for a great idea! My son is a letter NERD!

Becky May 1, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I did this today and it worked out great!! Here’s the link; of course I gave you a shout out! http://vermontwhitneys.blogspot.com/2011/05/same-old-eggs-new-twist.html
Thanks for yet another great idea :)

re-loveit* March 14, 2012 at 12:04 am

OOO I’m using these for invitations to a post Easter 13th Birthday party! little nest of crepe paper, choc egg, fluffy chicken and the invite folded up like a fan! cute!

GianneCurry April 13, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I love the rice and word twister!! We did bathtime fun, glow in the dark hunt, stamping, roll painting, and shaker painting. So many cool things to do!!!
Love your blog,
Gianne at cowsgomooandducksgoquack.blogspot.com

sharon May 6, 2014 at 8:36 am

I save mine for halloween its fun to dress up as another holiday for halloween and the surprised looks on their faces when they get a plastic easter egg. Happy Easter-ween