Awesome DIY Teacher appreciation kit - love the quote on the printable bookmark!

Appreciate Your Favorite Teacher with a DIY Survival Kit

Tuesday, May 3rd is National Teacher Appreciation Day.  That means you have less than a week to get your act together and find a nice way to show some love to all the hard-working teachers in your life.  No worries though, I’ve put together an educator’s survival guide that’s brimming with trinkets every good teacher could use.  And of course I’ve included a few free printables so you can make one of your very own.  Click through for the goods.

For some reason I get excited by office supplies in modern designs and colors.  Since I love them so much (despite not having a real need for them), I figured teachers probably can’t get enough either.

This sweet little notebook is perfect for jotting down to-do lists and lesson plan inspiration.  It’s also pretty stylish and only set me back 79 cents at Target.  I wanted to get a few markers in pretty colors to go along with it and was jazzed when I spotted a two-pack of pink Sharpies in support of breast cancer research.

Along with some fun supplies, every teacher can use a daily dose of inspiration.  I whipped up this bookmark as a reminder of what an important job they do.  You can get the template here – just print on card stock, cut it out, and you’re all set.

This bookmark was made for C’s toddler group teacher (Teacher Susy) so the message is intended for teachers of younger kids.  If you have older children, it would be a nice touch to have them come up with a message of their own for their teachers.

Lastly, I know a little coffee goes a long way for me in the morning and I only have two kids – imagine how helpful it would be if you had 20 – 30 kids to contend with.  I’m a big fan of Starbucks VIAs because they’re a cheap and easy way to get my fix in hurry.  I think Teacher Susy will enjoy them too.

That’s it – just gather all these things and stuff them into an envelope.  I used a 6 1/2′ square version from the craft store because it reminded me of a brown paper package.  The very last step is to adhere my special delivery label (print on card stock and attach with a glue stick).

I hope you enjoy this little project and that you’ll find the time to make a simple gesture of gratitude towards the teachers in your life – they deserve it!

POYEL ebook and printablessign up for the newsletter and get a free 6 week meal plan

Ausmerican Housewife April 27, 2011 at 6:13 am

I’m thinking of doing these for some parents in NICU next time I do a donation run to the hospitals where my daughter and son were born, and the hospital where my son died. I have a feeling the parents and nurses on the NICU ward could use these…

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com April 27, 2011 at 6:23 am

Aumerican Housewife – I used to work in a NICU and I have a feeling you are right.

I paid a visit to your blog and read your story. I have no words except to say that, from one mother to another, I am so very sorry for your loss.

anxiously hopeful April 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Great idea. I’m printing them off right now.

Rachel April 27, 2011 at 3:40 pm

With my oldest being in preschool, I didn’t know this day was coming up, so thank you! I’m off to print that cute bookmark!

Katie @ covestreetblog April 27, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I’ve been trying to get some ideas, this is great! Thanks Steph!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com April 28, 2011 at 2:38 am

Glad you liked this guys – we gave ours to Teacher Susy today because we won’t see her again until next Wednesday (after Teacher Appreciation Day). C was thrilled to be able to give a present to one of his favorite people!

CMS Websites May 4, 2011 at 11:08 am

Thanks for nice posting

Jillian May 4, 2011 at 11:30 pm

It’s funny– I’m a NYC teacher and teacher appreciation day wasn’t even mentioned by the administration, let alone the parents. I know your children’s teachers appreciate it!!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com May 5, 2011 at 12:26 am

That’s a real shame – let me just say on behalf of all the parents out there that we appreciate all that you do for our children!!

Anonymous May 6, 2011 at 4:50 am

Thanks for the inspiration. I found everything I needed for this project at Target. Gotta love that place!

Kim @ seven thirty three August 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Such a good idea! I included a link to it in my top 23 Fav Teacher Gift Tutorials round-up! Feel free to grab a featured button.

Anonymous September 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm

As a teacher, I wanted to tell you that you hit the nail on the head with this! I’m thinking of creating these for my teaching partners-in-crime. Thank you for such a fabulous idea!