roadtape

Fun Ways to Make Tracks

bottom left photo via Tokketok, left photo via ohdeedoh.

My little man loves pretty much anything that goes vrooom – cars, trucks, trains, etc.  He has an extensive collection of them all that he plays with daily.  So for a while now I’ve had a few special road and track projects stowed away for a quiet afternoon.

Well, it seems I’m not the only one with trucks and tracks on the brain.  While browsing the web over the past week I’ve found a couple more ideas to add to my stash.  And just like that a post is born.  Click through for the goods.

First up is Tape Escape at Sleek Identity.  Although very cool, I see this road tape as a bit of a luxury item for every day play.  That being said, this plus a small bag of cars would be super handy when traveling or vacationing somewhere that isn’t stocked with toys.
photo via ohdeedoh

For a more permanent option, may I direct your attention to this lovely room by Dobson and Vivian (via ohdeedoh).

photo via No Time for Flashcards

These last three activities are my favorites because they show that making the tracks can be just as fun as driving on them.  I love how Tokketok used craft paper to create a playground for trains, cars, and boats all in one place. (Of course my version won’t look nearly as pretty as this but I don’t think my 2 year old will mind much.)

This table top recycling center at No Time for Flashcards is great for practicing sorting and teaching your kiddos about going green.  All you need is a road and a few labeled color stations and you’re open for business.

photo via The Mother Huddle

Last is the homemade version of the road tape we started with.  I like The Mother Huddle’s version even better than the commercial product because it’s a completely open-ended activity.  Case in point, this one has a mini marina and an airport.  Head over to see all the clever details.

Got a creative track idea I missed?  Let me hear all about it in the comments below!

Get your shopping done early with our Infamous Christmas Toy Gift Guides!

Bernadette {Chic Spaces for Little Faces} March 31, 2011 at 10:25 am

Great ideas!

Heather March 31, 2011 at 12:37 pm

We have 2 carpets with tracks, 2 train tables and my son every so often wants to build his own track. I recently took our left over wooden train track and made a car race track, my son played with that for 2 days! Getting creative it fun!

The MOB March 31, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I love the painted track on the wood floors. Our little guy is also transportation obsessed and he makes his own “tracks” on everything – quilts, couch, wood floors, etc. He doesn’t seem to care that it doesn’t really resemble any sort of actual track.

I like the idea of drawing his own track once he is a little older – the perfect use for that old piece of cardboard sitting in the garage.

Kate @ An Amazing Child April 1, 2011 at 1:59 am

These are just beautiful but I also love the handmade ones :) My 2 yr old son is completely vehicle-obsessed and has been for a while now. We have a rug which has a transport scene on it and he likes when I add extra roads and bridges for his little cars. I really like the masking tape on the carpet idea and I think my son will love it too. Thanks for sharing :)

Destri April 1, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Love love all your round-ups! You have a knack for finding the best stuff.

Thanks for the mention :), Maria will be thrilled!

renee kristine April 2, 2011 at 4:16 am

yessss, s o cute! right up my alley with a growing dude!

new follower, by the way!
babygeisler.blogspot.com

Anna Dawn April 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm

These are such cute ideas! I also made some roads for my son, but I made them as interchangeable tiles. You can check it out here:

Love your blog btw!!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com April 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Anna – love those tiles, great idea!

Last Minute Mel April 6, 2011 at 5:06 am

Love all these ideas…we often do a version of the craft paper one…will have to pull it out again soon :)