featuredmaps

Fresh Finds: Maps & Globes with a Twist

photo via Sarah Jane Studios
I am absolutely loving this nursery I just found while surfing around online.  Everything about it is note perfect – the airiness, the bedding, the pops of color, and especially the maps.
I’ve actually been collecting ideas on how to integrate maps and globes into kid spaces for a while now. I know what you’re thinking, who hasn’t?  But most of my finds go beyond your standard map and this photo has compelled me to finally post about them.  Click through for all kinds of cool inspiration and products.

Any letter from Ireland map – made to order at Little White Dog.

Baby Soft Map Quilts at Haptic Lab.

Chandelier made of 15 globes by Benoit Vieubled.

World rug spotted at Design Sponge.

A World to Discover – Custm World Map Poster at My Sweet Prints.

Bespoke Map Hearts at Not On The High Street.

The States of the Nation Print at Fall Down Tree.

Lots of map pillows at My Bearded Pigeon.

POYEL ebook and printablessign up for the newsletter and get a free 6 week meal plan

Margaret March 24, 2011 at 8:01 am

These are all so, so lovely. Such beautiful finds.

Bernadette {Chic Spaces for Little Faces} March 24, 2011 at 10:37 am

That Nursery is one of my favorites right now too! I love the map ideas.

Mini Mocha March 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm

How uncanny, I was just finishing with cutting out map placemats and glueing maps onto old blocks and making a giant 4 like the A in your post with map paper for the 4th birthday party! Great timing. Love maps also. The vintage ones are cool.

Taylor {Sew Much Love} March 24, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I love the maps you chose, really unique and bursts out of the ordinary! I might just have to find some maps too!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com March 24, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I’m so glad you guys are liking these finds. I was afraid the map thing might be a little “over”. But good design is good design, right? Plus it’s educational so I guess it doesn’t really matter if it’s over :).

Destri March 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Maps, that is what we are doing with in le boys room, great inspiration!

Darcy March 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Lovely ideas! Thank you!

Janette March 28, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Thanks so much for featuring our Custom World Map in your wonderful line up!
Janette – My Sweet Prints

golonghorns April 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Our favorite map is on the kids bedroom door and when we travel we put a star on the location to teach the kids about geography. There are 20 stars on that map!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com April 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm

golonghorns – I absolutely love that idea! Anything that gets the kids involved and gives them a little more ownership in the items in your home gets a big gold star from me :)

Lisa April 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I just discovered your blog and absolutely love it! I came across an idea in my Pottery Barn Kids catalog that involved framed maps and then overlaying them with hot air balloons and kites. I am trying to recreate this idea for the nursery I am doing for my little one due to arrive this July. Any suggestions for a good resource for maps?

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com April 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Hi Lisa,

So glad you found MPMK. As for maps – Design Mom once named http://www.maps.com as her source. Hope that helps!

Kara Norris December 3, 2011 at 6:47 am

Love your ideas and finds! Just a friendly note, the Bespoke map is missing the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I wouldnt normally notice such a thing, but I am from the mitten state!

vicki m. March 16, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I LOVE the “bed in the closet” idea. My 3 year old would LOVE that! Any info on where to find this??