featuredhandmadehideaway

Handmade Hideaways

Flickr find at Wallflower.

Whether you buy them, sew them, or throw them together on a whim – kids love forts.  They’re great for imaginary play with friends or quiet time alone with a good book.  And they’re perfect for those times when you’re stuck at home for one reason or another (say, for example, you live in the Midwest).  To get you inspired, I’ve collected some of the best examples and DIYs from around the web.  (Also, you won’t want to miss these amazing “Build a Fort” kits.)
But before we get to that – the one thing you really need for an impromptu fort is a quality blanket (or ten), right?  Well, I’m loving the bedding over at West Elm right now.  (So much so that after receiving the catalog today, I clumsily contrived a way to work the collection into this post.)  I’m also really loving that everything is 20% off.  Go check it out, just not before you click through to all the amazing handmade hideaways below.

photo via tiny & little.
Indoor play tent for sale at moozlehome.

Kids play tent tutorial from 2 little hooligains.

photo via pinterest.

Summer Sewing – Child’s Tent tutorial from Sew,Mama,Sew!

Tablecloth Play House for sale at Cool Spaces for Kids, spotted at Hip Hip Hooray.

Found at Flickr by something’s hiding in here.

Handmade Play Tent Flickr Find at ohdeedoh.
Enchanted tent tutorial at Sew Homegrown (via pinterest).

We're teaming up with Dyson to help you get your home clean & organized.

This week, win ALL of MPMK's eBooks & Printables!

MPMK Printables & eBooks

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Ginnie February 4, 2011 at 6:33 am

In love with that bedding!

Chloe February 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm

This is what our living room looks like right now but ours is definitely more ghetto looking lol!!!

Penny February 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

The MOB February 4, 2011 at 5:57 pm

My mom made O an awesome tee-pee for Christmas, complete with real deer skin (from Grandpa’s hunting adventures). It is a great distraction when we need something fun to do, although he often opts for building his own “fort” with pillows and blankets, so nothing fancy is required for some good fort building fun!

April February 4, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I love the tablecloth fort! I might need to dust off the sewing machine and make my kids one of those.

kim rakes February 5, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I just happened upon your blog today via a crafty crow post. I love the shaving cream card idea and will definitely be doing a variation of it with my kiddos! (:

I had to check out more of your blog and then i saw the little handmade play tent I made for my daughter a couple years ago. Her room doesn’t look like that anymore, but I am glad you shared it here. It brought back some very happy memories.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com February 6, 2011 at 4:21 am

So many great comments I need to respond to…

Chloe – our fort is set up upstairs on top of the outdoor climbers that are permanently indoor at our house (talk about ghetto!)

The MOB – that tepee sounds amazing!

April – while you’re at it could you make one for me too?

Kim – Your daughter’s entire room is lovely and that play tent is the show piece. I also love how it uses up that (usually) wasted space next to the crib.

cribs for twins April 6, 2012 at 4:09 pm

That bedding is so lovely:)