featuredartwork1

Honoring Kids’ Artwork: Part 1 – Get Rid of It

So now that we’ve armed our little ones with the proper art supplies, what do we do with their new creations? Get rid of ‘em!  Sounds heartless, I know, but remember for toddlers art is about the experience and not the product.  And even if your child’s not a toddler, there’s really no need to keep everything.  Don’t think you can change your pack rat ways?  See Minimalism for Moms for some inspiration.

Plus, you don’t have to throw it out – just give it to someone else who will honor it.  Your child will reach a whole new level of pride when he sees his work displayed on a fridge or mantle belonging to someone other than mom or dad.  Isn’t that the whole point of displaying kids’ creations?  So send that finger painting masterpiece off to Grandma and watch your little one’s eyes light up the first time she spots it in her home.

My favorite variation on this idea is to frame the art and hang it in the room of an existing or due-to-arrive younger sibling.  Here’s a beautiful large-scale example from Lonny magazine.  This shows big brother that he is a meaningful and contributing part of his little sister’s life.  It shows little sister that big brother cares about her (a useful reminder when she’s pouting in her room because he won’t let her play pirates with him).

And while we’re on the topic of giving away kids’ artwork, please take a moment to check out Aidan’s Monsters.  Purchase one of Aidan’s original works of art for you or a loved one and support his family in their fight against Aidan’s Leukemia.

POYEL ebook and printablessign up for the newsletter and get a free 6 week meal plan

LatteJunkie January 13, 2011 at 7:15 am

Hi,

I nominated you for a Stylish Blog Award. Pop by my blog to collect your award.

Cyndi from LatteJunkie

Katie Booth January 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Steph, I love that gallery wall, it makes me wonder where I can use my kids art more. And what a great idea to help raise $ for Aidan. Love it!

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com January 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Latte Junkie – thanks for thinking of me!

Katie – I have to give credit to one of my favorite sites Li’l Magoolie for introducing me to Aidan’s great shop. I know they’re closed for the holidays right now but keep checking back as they should be open again soon!

rachelle @ tinkerlab.com January 13, 2011 at 5:25 pm

thanks for digging up all of these good resources. i recently picked up two really good books on the topic of simplifying things: organized simplicity and simplicity parenting. they’re my “bibles” for 2011!!

Anonymous January 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I am happy to find your blog. It’s fun and gets me excited with art projects and such to do with my kids. Posts like this one are helpful too. However, the fonts and colors on the blog are really, really hard to read. It would be much more enjoyable if the font colors were darker so I didn’t have to strain my eyes.

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com January 13, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Rachelle – thanks for the resources, I can always use organizational help!

Anonymous (so mysterious!) – I’m sorry you’re having trouble seeing the fonts. I’ve played around A LOT with the colors. I really like the grey but I was a little worried about visibility. I tried to make the links better by making them dark pink when you hover on them.

What does everyone else think? Do I need to darken it up?

Anonymous January 13, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I love everything about your blog except, yes, the color for the links. Making them dark pink when you hover helps, but the light blue is nearly impossible to see, and I’d kind of like to be able to tell what it says before I hover :)

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com January 13, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Better?? I aim to please :)

Anonymous January 14, 2011 at 3:32 am

Love the change! Oh, and I’m the second Anonymous (not the original poster). I don’t mean to be anonymous, but don’t have any of those other profiles…

......From London With Love January 16, 2011 at 11:58 am